Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 297

Author Topic: Occupying Wallstreet  (Read 289353 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Occupying Wallstreet
« Reply #1755 on: November 22, 2011, 07:54:12 pm »

the pain ray.

Fun fact: a body-sized sheet of cardboard wrapped in layers of aluminum foil is all you need to render one of those completely useless. Someone should pass that along to the protestors.
Would it be possible to somehow redirect an ADS beam, not just disperse it?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: November 22, 2011, 07:54:29 pm »

It's the aluminium foil that does it! It stops them from readin' yur mind!
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #1757 on: November 22, 2011, 07:58:10 pm »

the pain ray.

Fun fact: a body-sized sheet of cardboard wrapped in layers of aluminum foil is all you need to render one of those completely useless. Someone should pass that along to the protestors.
Would it be possible to somehow redirect an ADS beam, not just disperse it?
If you happen to be carrying around an elliptical reflector, sure.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: November 22, 2011, 08:15:15 pm »

Pregnant teen in Seattle miscarries about being kicked, batoned, pepper sprayed, and hit with a bicycle while screaming that she's pregnant and trying to escape.

Cue millions of smug comments around the net and from police of "LOL what's a pregnant woman doing at a protest anyway?"

They oppose abortion and say fetuses are people. Not to worry, the protesters aren't people so how can their fetuses be...?

My this ruined country tis of thee sour land of hypocrisy....
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: November 22, 2011, 08:24:07 pm »

Pregnant teen in Seattle miscarries about being kicked, batoned, pepper sprayed, and hit with a bicycle while screaming that she's pregnant and trying to escape.

Cue millions of smug comments around the net and from police of "LOL what's a pregnant woman doing at a protest anyway?"

That's horrifying. Sometimes I wonder about the state of the world we're in. Then I see something like this and it is clear.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1760 on: November 22, 2011, 08:25:40 pm »

That's horrifying. Sometimes I wonder about the state of the world we're in. Then I see something like this and it is clear.

We're all doomed and should start learning Chinese?

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: November 22, 2011, 08:25:51 pm »

Probably more along the lines of "You should have known better, so his/her/its blood is on your hands as much as theirs." No less callous, but a bit more consistent.
Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: November 22, 2011, 08:27:39 pm »

Honestly, I don't think the Chinese would accept us. We're quite a horrific people.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: November 22, 2011, 08:28:40 pm »

The PRC is more doomed than the USA is. If being one of the only industrialized nations to have a large peasant population or trying to maintain an autocratic rule while also educating the populace doesn't do it in, then trying to take care of the half-billion non-working elderly Chinese there will be in a couple of decades will.
Honestly, I don't think the Chinese would accept us. We're quite a horrific people.
Our cops and politicians are a horrific people. Most other people are perfectly normal.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: November 22, 2011, 08:29:36 pm »

You think that's something? 90% of the inhabitants of this very room I'm in support the cause (with a margin of error of 10% - a sample size of 1 makes for very noisy data).

The occupy movement is so vague and unspecific I am sure that it is 100% AND 0% at the same time.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: November 22, 2011, 08:32:16 pm »

The PRC is more doomed than the USA is. If being one of the only industrialized nations to have a large peasant population or trying to maintain an autocratic rule while also educating the populace doesn't do it in, then trying to take care of the half-billion non-working elderly Chinese there will be in a couple of decades will.
Our cops and politicians are a horrific people. Most other people are perfectly normal.
Including those who were replying with those opinions that SalmonGod was thinking?

Anyway, I think the PRC will endure for quite some time. Maybe not hope, but believe.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1766 on: November 22, 2011, 08:33:28 pm »

Well, whatever's in the future, I can't see many future's that could be worse, that wouldn't be post-apocalyptic.

I'm just happy the police arse-face "man" who pepper sprayed those students in Oakland is being held accountable, and I take even more joy in the fact that 4chan was the group largely responsible for this. Hey, the internet has power these days, and I'm surprised more action hasn't been taken against those... Well no polite ways to put it.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: November 22, 2011, 08:45:50 pm »

Including those who were replying with those opinions that SalmonGod was thinking?
It's the internet Dsarker. People are bound to voice those kind of ideas if they are totally anonymous, be they trolling or legitimate. Such smug dismissals are a result of human psychology, and the distance provided by the internet provides for this. It's not reality.
Anyway, I think the PRC will endure for quite some time. Maybe not hope, but believe.
That's what people said about the USSR. The PRC has been in constant policy backpedal ever since Mao Zedong died. If he could see the PRC's policies today he'd have a heart attack. The same was true of the USSR since Stalin's death, although that policy backpedal was slower and had more snags. The PRC is running out of concessions to give, and everything they do to give themselves an advantage makes their people a little bit smarter, and a little bit more unsatisfied. That is not a sustainable strategy. Eventually the PRC's Communist Party will either give up so much power that China becomes a legitimate democracy (such as what happened to the USSR in 1990-1991) or fall to revolutions and divide into any number of states (such as what happened to the USSR after the events of 1991). It's funny, the PRC will have lasted for as long as the USSR did in 2018. History repeats, as they say.
No Gods, No Masters.

Nilik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: November 22, 2011, 08:54:05 pm »

I've heard it described that pepper spray burns even on exposed skin, not just in orifices, and I've also heard of it causing chemical burns requiring medical treatment.  Definitely not comparable to spicy food.

Sufficiently spicy hot sauce will burn the skin, I don't know whether its actually chemically burned or just inflammed skin but it sure feels the same. I was reading an article in which a guy tried a bunch of different hot sauces, and he also smeared some of the hottest one on his arm; left a big red "H" right where he'd smeared it.

My dad once marinaded a steak in Ultra-Death sauce (1,100,000 scovilles apparently), because he is an idiot. Eating it was never on the table, the fumes when he tried to cook it basically pepper-sprayed the kitchen and most of the house.

The point is, while pepper spray isn't JUST capsaicin, its definitely the most hurty bit.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: November 22, 2011, 08:55:58 pm »

Spicy food and Pepper Sprey have a similar function in that they are a irritant.

Admittingly Pepper Sprey however isn't oil based like Spicy Food is... which actually means that being spreyed with REALLY Spicy Food would actually be worse then pepper sprey.
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 297