Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 297

Author Topic: Occupying Wallstreet  (Read 289347 times)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: Occupying Wallstreet
« Reply #1740 on: November 22, 2011, 03:49:58 pm »

I feel that the Obi-Wan Kenobi quote about Tusken Raiders would be appropriate regarding the increased density at Berkeley.

"The Sand People are easily startled, but they will soon be back, and in greater numbers."
 ―Obi-Wan Kenobi[src]

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: November 22, 2011, 04:35:40 pm »

EDIT:The stuff they used at Berkeley was pure capsaicin which is about 15 to 16 MILLION Scovilles (i.e. about 80 times more concentrated).
Err...not exactly. Pure capsaicin is not and could not be used in pepper spray, because after around 13,000,000 Scovilles the capsaicin will start to crystallize as more is added to the mix, ending at 16,000,000 Scovilles, which is pure capsaicin crystal. Law enforcement grade pepper spray ranges from 500,000 to 2,000,000 Scovilles. I've eaten food that is near or possibly even above that lower limit, and while not pleasant, it can be bearable with acclimatization. My father, who is even more of a heat freak than I am, would probably not even have been phased by having pepper spray sprayed down his throat, but when it comes to spicy food love he is probably in the 99%th percentile. And being sprayed in the eyes is another matter entirely.

Of course, pepper spray is not food in any case.

TL:DR: Order world's hottest sauces and train with them to become immune to pepper spray.

I stand corrected. I would still love to see Kelly and O'Reilly hosed down with some pepper spray. I also didn't realize that capsaicin could crystallize.

Hey, I just had an idea for a great new flavor of Pop Rocks....

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Nilik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1742 on: November 22, 2011, 04:52:36 pm »

I wanted to see O'Reilly pepper sprayed before it was cool. I guess I'm just ahead of the curve.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1743 on: November 22, 2011, 04:57:09 pm »

Pain?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: November 22, 2011, 05:13:51 pm »

I've heard it described that pepper spray burns even on exposed skin, not just in orifices, and I've also heard of it causing chemical burns requiring medical treatment.  Definitely not comparable to spicy food.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #1745 on: November 22, 2011, 05:25:11 pm »

Pain?
Such an evil practical joke.

Fund it!

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1746 on: November 22, 2011, 06:43:43 pm »

Pregnant teen in Seattle miscarries about being kicked, batoned, pepper sprayed, and hit with a bicycle while screaming that she's pregnant and trying to escape.

Cue millions of smug comments around the net and from police of "LOL what's a pregnant woman doing at a protest anyway?"
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 06:53:36 pm by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1747 on: November 22, 2011, 06:46:31 pm »

I've heard it described that pepper spray burns even on exposed skin, not just in orifices, and I've also heard of it causing chemical burns requiring medical treatment.  Definitely not comparable to spicy food.
Causing a burning sensation I can understand but causing chemical burns makes no sense unless it's adulterated with an acid or something. Capsaicin doesn't actually burn things, it just causes nerves to fire in error. It can also cause severe inflammation and otherwise be pretty toxic in large quantities, so it's not like this post is anything but a nitpick.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/11/22/pregnant-seattle-protester-miscarries-after-being-kicked-pepper-sprayed/

Cue millions of smug comments around the net and from police of "LOL what's a pregnant woman doing at a protest anyway?"
I... what? Who thinks that's the correct reaction? That doesn't make sense! On any level!
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1748 on: November 22, 2011, 07:01:57 pm »

Woops... screwed up the link post above.  Fixed now.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/11/22/pregnant-seattle-protester-miscarries-after-being-kicked-pepper-sprayed/

I... what? Who thinks that's the correct reaction? That doesn't make sense! On any level!

Have looked at the comments section of that story on three different websites now.  Each one is a heated debate about whether or not a pregnant person should be allowed to/deserves whatever happens for going to a protest, with a little bit of "she's not someone who should be having a kid at all anyway" thrown in there for good measure.  Are you really surprised?

Looking up more info about the pepper spray used by police right now.  Finding some interesting stuff, but trying to get reasonable verification to go along with it.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1749 on: November 22, 2011, 07:07:52 pm »

Well, most people feel that pregnant women should know enough not to bring a fetus into a hostile environment.
Any parents who bring living children to these protests should be held criminally negligent. These are NOT safe places to be. Even Colorado Springs could erupt into violence with it's handful of people. It isn't safe. Protests NEVER are.

Of course seeing as it was a Homeless Pregnant Teen, my actual reaction is "Where the hell are her parents, and why didn't she have any support from family?!"

Of course the cold hard reality is there are plenty of different stories out there. It is sad that she lost her baby. I hope she takes more than a Million from those bastards in her lawsuit, and ruins a few cop's lives as well. I'm not anti-Cop, but... you only react in such a manner if your life is physically threatened! I've had the Riot training. I've experienced mock rioting against trained military personnel who were a lot MORE likely to resist than protesters and had much better ability to fight back. I admit I have never been in a Riot, but I just don't see the justification for what they are doing. Where are the sticks and stones being thrown at the Police? Where is the threat of violence large enough for the justification for treating people this way? I don't see it.

This is going to continue to Escalate. It's gonna get ugly. I'm surprised the Cops haven't been pepper sprayed in mass themselves yet. It's not like it's a hard or expensive resource to get.
Maybe the Formerly Pregnant teen will arm Seattle Protestors with the settlement she'll end up getting.

(Edit:7 Bucks for 25 Shots.. Not available in Hawaii, Michigan, New York, Washington DC, or Wisconsin.)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 07:10:49 pm by Kogan Loloklam »
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1750 on: November 22, 2011, 07:22:13 pm »

Personally, I understand that rational.  I'm not as involved with the movement as I'd like to be, because I have to maintain my job security for the sake of my diabetic kid, who wouldn't survive in anything but a stable environment.  I've also taken my kids to my local occupation, after studying the situation from a distance and judging it safe enough for the time being.

But when scaled out to analogous situations it becomes a tactic for shaming the entire population into complacency.  Almost everyone has something to lose.  If you feel like you're being wronged by someone, there is always going to be some risk involved in sticking up for yourself.  People are going to make varied judgments regarding what they will lose in the long term by not sticking up for their rights vs what they might lose in the short term by doing so, and those judgments are not anyone else's to make.  People should also have some sympathy for the fact that she's very young, and probably not the best informed about these types of situations.

As for retaliation pepper spraying of police... I doubt it would get past their riot gear, and only motivate them to come back with something worse... either more rubber bullets or the pain ray.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: November 22, 2011, 07:40:12 pm »

Well, most people feel that pregnant women should know enough not to bring a fetus into a hostile environment.

A peaceful assembly isn't a hostile environment.  So saying she isn't being there is essentially saying that cops are making our streets unsafe for pregnant women...
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: November 22, 2011, 07:43:54 pm »

Of course seeing as it was a Homeless Pregnant Teen, my actual reaction is "Where the hell are her parents, and why didn't she have any support from family?!"
In before Fox News runs an opinion saying she had it coming for getting pregnant as a teenager out of wedlock and for being homeless. Sadly, I really am not going to be surprised when the aforementioned opinion happens.
I hope she takes more than a Million from those bastards in her lawsuit, and ruins a few cop's lives as well.
In before "The department has reprimanded the officers in question, but reminds citizens that such violent incidents are inevitable so long as this sustained civil disobedience continues. This matter is now considered closed." Once again, that will be nothing new, but will still be very depressing.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #1753 on: November 22, 2011, 07:49:25 pm »

The police won't admit it, I guarantee it. An apology or any action on their part would confirm that it happened, and the police would probably rather that people didn't know about it.

They're here to keep us safe, and if they can't, or even act against that...

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: November 22, 2011, 07:50:53 pm »

the pain ray.

Fun fact: a body-sized sheet of cardboard wrapped in layers of aluminum foil is all you need to render one of those completely useless. Someone should pass that along to the protestors.
Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 297