Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 297

Author Topic: Occupying Wallstreet  (Read 289424 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Occupying Wallstreet
« Reply #1665 on: November 20, 2011, 03:59:04 pm »

On that note, here's an academic paper on the nature of protest policing over the last 10 years.  I haven't had the time to read it myself, but it looks very thorough.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: November 20, 2011, 04:01:46 pm »

Actually, no, it can't... probably because the Constitution defines the government...
THe actions by the NYPD are unconstitutional...

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: November 20, 2011, 04:04:16 pm »

Actually, no, it can't... probably because the Constitution defines the government...
THe actions by the NYPD are unconstitutional...

Why don't you go tell them that?
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: November 20, 2011, 04:06:01 pm »

...Sigh...
I'm 13, OK? ...I can't exactly tell them...

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: November 20, 2011, 04:09:47 pm »

If age is a factor, well, that's indicative of some sort of problem already.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: November 20, 2011, 04:10:52 pm »

Yeah, you can still tell them. They probably wouldn't taze a polite kid. Probably.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: November 20, 2011, 04:10:59 pm »

...Sigh...

And people of all ages, including lawyers, former supreme court justices, veterans, and elderly survivors of early 20th century fascism in Europe HAVE told them... but those people aren't police chiefs, mayors, legislators, or billionaires.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: November 20, 2011, 04:13:06 pm »

All of the electronics seized in the recent Zucotti Park raid were destroyed, and movement techies were apparently held separately from other protesters after arrests.

That's actually pretty spooky.  What they're counting on is a solid combination of non-disclosure, preemptive excuse of "possible damage", and the hope that nobody who lost their stuff can afford to launch a class-action lawsuit against the entire New York city government, and get a court to hear a civil case over a few laptops.  The five grand in cash is worth mention too, but I have absolutely no doubt that the NYPD has page upon page of legislative backup to protect them from failing to protect confiscated property.

Somebody in there should call the ACLU, they're going to need a lot more firepower.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: November 20, 2011, 04:27:15 pm »

...Sigh...

And people of all ages, including lawyers, former supreme court justices, veterans, and elderly survivors of early 20th century fascism in Europe HAVE told them... but those people aren't police chiefs, mayors, legislators, or billionaires.

You know very well it's more complex than that....
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: November 20, 2011, 04:31:17 pm »

You know very well it's more complex than that....

In regards to who the police force is both loyal and accountable to, I don't.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #1675 on: November 20, 2011, 04:35:09 pm »

So bear with me there,  the SOPA act will allow them to shut any site, and if thing get real nasty, the president can now shut down Internet.
You can be executed without warrant if you're accused of terrorism and can be held indefinitely without judgment.
All your communication can be listened, all ip traffic is sniffed to and the FBI routinely use GPS tracker without warrant.
And your military is now very experienced in counter insurrection.

Well I hope it's all coincidence, and just stupid authoritarian policies...
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: November 20, 2011, 04:43:00 pm »

...Sigh...

Imagine... http://www.gocomics.com/tomthedancingbug/2011/11/04
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: November 20, 2011, 04:50:22 pm »

Now, to be fair, a couple billionaires have told them as well. They simply don't care.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: November 20, 2011, 04:51:48 pm »

Now, to be fair, a couple billionaires have told them as well. They simply don't care.

Which ones?  Not that I don't believe you, I'm just curious.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: November 20, 2011, 05:10:42 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_general_election,_2011

So much for change and exploring other options in democracy. So much for the multitudinary protests against the abuses of the two major political parties. Apparently I was the only retard who actually meant it when he said it.

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 297