Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 297

Author Topic: Occupying Wallstreet  (Read 289430 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Occupying Wallstreet
« Reply #1635 on: November 19, 2011, 01:26:30 am »

My response to every instance of facepalm-inducing police overreaction. I could probably reuse this link in every post I make in this thread from now on, but I'll spare us that. It'd be funny once, maybe. Meanwhile, this is still pretty obnoxious behavior on the part of the police in question.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: November 19, 2011, 10:52:31 am »

http://openchannel.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/11/19/8884405-lobbying-firms-memo-spells-out-plan-to-undermine-occupy-wall-street
A well-known Washington lobbying firm with links to the financial industry has proposed an $850,000 plan to take on Occupy Wall Street and politicians who might express sympathy for the protests, according to a memo obtained by the MSNBC program “Up w/ Chris Hayes.”

The proposal was written on the letterhead of the lobbying firm Clark Lytle Geduldig & Cranford and addressed to one of CLGC’s clients, the American Bankers Association.

CLGC’s memo proposes that the ABA pay CLGC $850,000 to conduct “opposition research” on Occupy Wall Street in order to construct “negative narratives” about the protests and allied politicians. The memo also asserts that Democratic victories in 2012 would be detrimental for Wall Street and targets specific races in which it says Wall Street would benefit by electing Republicans instead.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: November 19, 2011, 11:02:16 am »

Maybe Occupy Wall Street needs to morph into Occupy K Street.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: November 19, 2011, 11:10:09 am »

What the hell happened to "police may only use force for self defense?". I though it was always clear, lethal or not, a policeman can only use it's weapon to defend himself or other. Not as a tool of compliance.
I'm going to look into this.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: November 19, 2011, 11:17:43 am »

Yeah, we've got an hsitory of police violence in Belgium (Recent exemple), but I still managed to get shocked by those pics/videos. I mean gassing people sitting on the ground?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: November 19, 2011, 12:11:50 pm »

http://www.rtl.be/videos/video/292238.aspx

You need humor when you protest, switch to 0:35 to see how our firefighter protested against the lack of funding and manpower.

Funny video aside, here's an AMA, that, I hope, describe French and Belgian anti riot phylosophy. http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/dta55/im_a_retired_french_riot_police_captain_ama/c12rc7t

It's hilarious because Americans protester are actually doing riot police's job : trying to quieten the situation and to answer calmly to violence until their adversaries get tired.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 12:37:16 pm by Phmcw »
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: November 19, 2011, 02:20:33 pm »

CLGC’s memo proposes that the ABA pay CLGC $850,000 to conduct “opposition research” on Occupy Wall Street in order to construct “negative narratives” about the protests and allied politicians.

Something like this?   

They certainly are putting in a lot of effort, even if their criticisms are incredibly shallow or obviously misleading.  I like the one where they list 7 deaths caused by the Occupy movement.  I'd heard of at least 4 of them, but I noticed one link mentioned Bloomington.  I didn't know about that one, and it's rather closed to home so I looked... the news story in their own link was only a brief mention that some homeless person stumbled into an Occupy camp and died of completely unrelated natural causes.  He was in obviously bad health when they arrived and Occupiers provided him food and shelter, but didn't realize how bad his situation was.  I guess this group expects anyone who bothers to look at their stuff to be the type of person who will only glance and take everything at face value.

Edit:  Here's an article about arrest of journalists.  I like it mainly for the last paragraph.

(And for those wondering how a reporter can obtain an official NYPD pass, The Observer notes that the qualifying factors require a journalist to prove that they covered six or more events in the city on separate days in the 24 months before asking for a pass — implying that in order to be valid in the eyes of the law, one must break it first.)

The infamous police chief who left the force and became vocally opposed to standard police tactics after presiding over the Battle in Seattle chimes in on the Occupy movement.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 06:04:07 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: November 19, 2011, 09:54:23 pm »

Funny video aside, here's an AMA, that, I hope, describe French and Belgian anti riot phylosophy. http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/dta55/im_a_retired_french_riot_police_captain_ama/c12rc7t

From there
Training is necessary because riot control's ultimate goal is to make sure that the rioter in front of you goes home safely tonight, even if you end up in the infirmary. He's a citizen, you're a police officer, his life is more important than yours.

That, right there, is how you do policing.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: November 20, 2011, 01:32:11 am »

A little history of police strategies in handling protests.

Edit:

I just got around to watching the video of the recent UC Davis pepper spray incident.  It's one of the most powerful moments I've ever seen in real life.  I don't say this because the brutality was something extreme or because of the obnoxious screams from so many of the bystanders.  It's the progression from the officer's (especially Pike's) fearless nonchalance and casual showmanship, to their nervous withdrawal amidst the chants of shame.

And now this.

I'm in awe of the protesters at UC Davis.  Well done.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 01:49:18 am by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: November 20, 2011, 02:12:57 am »

A UC Davis Professor has demanded that the Chancellor resign due to her bringing the police onto campus in the first place.

Personally, this UC Davis incident has started to make me believe that we are, in fact, doomed. The cops don't care anymore. They do whatever the fuck they want without repercussion now and they know it. Congress is full of corrupt, nay, evil people who's decisions were bought by men in $10,000 dollar suits long ago. The Constitution hardly matters to these people. Rights and liberties aren't here for us once we need to use them. Everyone is drowning. Drowning in debt, drowning in ignorance, drowning in the shadow of brutality and oppression that suddenly hangs over the nation. Executive, Legislative, Judicial, all three branches of the government have become withered and rotten. I finally look at it all at once, in the big picture, and I see a disturbing reality. Every system, every facet of society, filled to the brim with corruption, with falsehoods, with fundamental issues that more people than not care to allow.

I am truly beginning to be haunted by the feeling that there is no hope left for the United States of America, or at least not any incarnation of it I'd see and approve of. There is a shift now, one I can almost feel, of human vice drowning out everything good that I can see. Drowning together, all of us, slowly or quickly. Drowning the whole world.

Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: November 20, 2011, 02:17:09 am »

That's how I felt before the Occupy movement.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: November 20, 2011, 02:35:00 am »

I flipflop between feeling exactly like that and feeling like there's a core worth defending and building on. It pretty much depends on how stupid a thing has happened that day, and how much I try to disconnect my experiences from that damn instinct to construct a narrative out of everything. More and more, though, I start feeling like, "Jeez, I'm starting to think maybe there actually are 'bad guys'." It's getting to a point where I can no longer adequately explain problems through incompetence, and so must resort to ascribe them to malice.

When the hell did Saturday morning cartoon villains start seeming like the sensible explanation?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: November 20, 2011, 02:40:11 am »

I don't even know how to feel any more. Except that I'm not doing enough. And I don't know if going down a night or two a week and talking to people and waving some signs around for an hour or so is doing anything at all. And I don't know what else I can do, and the whole thing just sickens me, and... urgh.

There are, always, bad guys. But unless they do something like this, its usually hard to pick them out. And it doesn't take many to ruin a good thing.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: November 20, 2011, 02:45:02 am »

More and more, though, I start feeling like, "Jeez, I'm starting to think maybe there actually are 'bad guys'." It's getting to a point where I can no longer adequately explain problems through incompetence, and so must resort to ascribe them to malice.
They're just evil people. There is no other way to explain these things anymore. They are just evil. I wish I could give a less black and white explanation for this, but I can't. The government and the police force is filled from top to bottom with people who are either evil or fully complacent to evil.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: November 20, 2011, 02:46:17 am »

I don't understand why people struggle with this so much.  As an anarchist, one of the most common statements I hear is that there are malicious people in the world.  Why then is it also so common for people to avoid the notion that malice may find its way into our institutions?

It's one of the most fundamental and common personal conflicts I witness in people around me on a daily basis, and most aren't even aware that this conflict exists within them.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 297