Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 297

Author Topic: Occupying Wallstreet  (Read 289449 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Re: Occupying Wallstreet
« Reply #1620 on: November 18, 2011, 11:16:32 am »

They call it the "legal system" instead of the "justice system" for a reason.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: November 18, 2011, 05:42:58 pm »

The NYPD has discredited itself.

Salon.com is fairly mainstream for such an opposition to the NYPD. It's not CNN or anything, but it's not a blog either. I'm glad to see the recognition of these abuses is getting farther up into the general public. Maybe we will see CNN running a story like that soon enough.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: November 18, 2011, 06:18:53 pm »

The NYPD has discredited itself.

Salon.com is fairly mainstream for such an opposition to the NYPD. It's not CNN or anything, but it's not a blog either. I'm glad to see the recognition of these abuses is getting farther up into the general public. Maybe we will see CNN running a story like that soon enough.

From the comments section

Quote from: davidmendez01
Its a shame that such a fine department is doing things like this. When they dont care about harming authorized legal observers. Here is a direct quote from New York Supreme Court Judge Karen Smith who was one of those observers and her interaction with a NYPD officer...

"I was there to take down the names of people who were arrested… As I’m standing there, some African-American woman goes up to a police officer and says, ‘I need to get in. My daughter’s there. I want to know if she’s OK.’ And he said, ‘Move on, lady.’ And they kept pushing with their sticks, pushing back. And she was crying. And all of a sudden, out of nowhere, he throws her to the ground and starts hitting her in the head,” says Smith. “I walk over, and I say, ‘Look, cuff her if she’s done something, but you don’t need to do that.’ And he said, ‘Lady, do you want to get arrested?’ And I said, ‘Do you see my hat? I’m here as a legal observer.’ He said, ‘You want to get arrested?’ And he pushed me up against the wall."

The NYPD is not garnering favor with the general public when a lack of oversight is allowing situations like this to happen.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: November 18, 2011, 06:31:44 pm »

Manhandling a fucking judge?  Christ, is anything sacred?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: November 18, 2011, 06:54:01 pm »

Keith Olbermann interviews the 84-year-old activist who got pepper sprayed in Seattle the other day.

This video doesn't appear to be throttled, so I may actually get to watch soon.  I'm interested, because the link was posted with the following excerpt.

Keith Olbermann: Is that your hope for what this is going to do for America? That, more than anything else, it's going to educate people for what they are up against?

Dorli Rainey: We have to do that, and the time is of the essence. We are seeing the FCC trying to take away the free internet. I remember Goebbels. I remember the time -- I grew up over there. And I remember the shrinking of the print media. We had one newspaper. It was called Völkischer Beobachter -- The People's Observer. And it was the same from North Germany down to South Austria, same propaganda: "We're winning the war. We're sinking the U-boats and we're into Scotland." So -- we were doing so well, it's amazing how long the war lasted after we were winning it already. And I see the same thing happening here.

I can't imagine anything crushing my hopes more than the powers that be gaining genuine control over the internet.  It's the only place I've ever felt freedom, and the only thing responsible for me being any sort of informed or free-thinking person.  I don't think it's going to happen in the near future, but the fact that they're trying really really hard and throwing all of their resources and tricks into it is a major indicator.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1625 on: November 18, 2011, 06:54:38 pm »

I hope they manhandle more judges. That will make the courts change their tune rather quickly, I think.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #1626 on: November 18, 2011, 07:34:34 pm »

Edit:  This guy has an impressive Google photo album dedicated to Occupy  He has pretty much all of the well-known and important images related to the movement collected here, along with many I haven't seen.  425 in all
Wow, I actually learned a whole lot from that, and their perspective. Also learned a bit of information regarding the opposing side from other members of my family and so on (not all of them, and not as hardcore as the elite 1s, but still something to think about). Not really as anything I can link, but still something I can use for additional overall perspective on the matter.

Remaining as neutral as I can be about all this (for various reasons; especially in the "I don't want to get my ass kicked" area), I do sympathize with what the Occupiers are about, but I also understand what repercussions the movement could have if things over- or understeer when it gets resolved, or goes overboard.

All I can really do is pray that we can end this peacefully and with a result pretty much everybody can agree upon (begrudgingly or not); or at least a compromise that works. As near-impossible as it sounds, I still put my faith that something should come along so everyone can continue living on. Doesn't matter which side is helped out, as long as the right thing is done.

Bookmarked the link to check out the progress as it unfolds. I'm neither for or against it. I'm just merely an observer. Kinda similar reason for my political stance (willing non-voter). Too much chaos, and I tend to say the wrong things by accident, no matter how right I turn out being by the end.

My opinion on the end result, when it does come about: If history is an indication, the Occupiers are likely to succeed, but with limited success. I wouldn't say I would fully trust whatever resolution the 1s come up with to make the Occupiers happy. Again, history has a nasty habit of repetition.

I wouldn't place my view entirely on solid ground, so I might have to do more research before I can really come up with something more grounded and plausible. If anything, at least this movement has my attention; and it takes alot to catch it.

EDIT:
Patched up a bit of my post.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 07:39:36 pm by Itnetlolor »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: November 18, 2011, 07:39:09 pm »

Thanks, Itnetlolor.  It sounds like you're educating yourself and allowing time for things to truly sink in before making up your own mind.  This is all I ask of anyone, and everyone who does this has my respect.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: November 18, 2011, 08:19:22 pm »

I hope they manhandle more judges. That will make the courts change their tune rather quickly, I think.

The benches have been stacked with former prosecutors who only care about putting people in jail/supporting the police for too long.

They don't know what the hell it's actually like out there.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: November 18, 2011, 11:19:05 pm »

As should any self respecting policeman (as opposed to the ones who are little more than state sanctioned thugs)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: November 18, 2011, 11:52:55 pm »

He gets points for having the classic policeman's moustache too.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #1632 on: November 18, 2011, 11:56:40 pm »

As should any self respecting policeman (as opposed to the ones who are little more than state sanctioned thugs)
Actually, while going through the galleries, seeing that dude calling the NY-f'ing-PD out like that takes some serious balls, and was one of the more affective images in the galleries, and probably one of the more effective strikes to their confidence.

I can only guarantee that the effect of taking him down will have is that more (mostly retired) officers from more counties and states will come by the following days. Keep this behavior up, and there could possibly be a counter-police force (of likely non-retired officers as well) that, unlike how the rest of the other forces are going about it, will continue to fight back without force.

I'm curious of the crime rates during these protests. I wonder if anybody's taken any notes about these yet? Somehow such an opportunity (with such excessive force) reminds me of Die Hard 3. Of course, unlike Die Hard 3, Wall Street is packed with Americans. All that's missing is John McClaine. But greater concern being, with such dedicated force in such a small area, you'd think crime rates would increase due to opportunities appearing all over the place. After all, the hardcore forces are beating down the protesters, while smalltime crooks have an open invite to any unprotected neighborhood.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 12:02:44 am by Itnetlolor »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: November 19, 2011, 12:00:12 am »

-Ignore me and my derpitude-
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: November 19, 2011, 12:13:00 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WmJmmnMkuEM#!
Pepper spraying student protesters sitting peacefully at UC Davis.
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 297