Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 297

Author Topic: Occupying Wallstreet  (Read 289498 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Occupying Wallstreet
« Reply #1605 on: November 17, 2011, 06:57:25 pm »

Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: November 17, 2011, 07:02:12 pm »

Hey, everyone remember this thread? Ahh.....hindsight.

I saw what you did there, mister ninja editor :P

http://dailycaller.com/2011/11/17/daily-caller-reporter-videographer-assaulted-by-nypd-during-occupy-protests/#ixzz1dzG1g08a

So the NYPD has not only been beating protesters into compliance but clearly identified members of the press.

Now that's just moronic. Attack certified press and give OWS even more credibility... yup, I can see how that really helps the cops :I
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: November 17, 2011, 07:10:11 pm »

Strictly speaking, willingly handing it on your own is not a violation of the fourth amendment, it's only if you refuse and they take it anyway (or so I think).

Speaking of which, here it is.

It's not exactly as I remembered it.  The guy was recording from in his garage, and did at first refuse to hand over the phone.  Just looking up this video, I saw dozens of other links for similar things happening.

And we've had a big debate over this in Indiana recently.  I've talked about this on this forum before, but it's too relevant not to repeat it anyway.  Judges here ruled that police basically have the power to enter your home and do anything they want, even if it's illegal.  You're not allowed to attempt to obstruct in any fashion whatsoever.  If you do, then YOU are breaking the law, and the officer becomes justified for whatever they're doing.  So the only way to have eventual legal recourse is to allow them to do whatever they want, and then take it to court after the fact.

Always been like that. You can say "I'm submitting to your authority officer," so there's no question you aren't "volunteering" jack shit. It's been the exclusionary rule as a remedy for decades. This is the challenging it in court thing. Otherwise, you can't resist the officer at all really.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: November 17, 2011, 09:19:29 pm »

This is the challenging it in court thing. Otherwise, you can't resist the officer at all really.

I'm not quite sure I understand.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: November 17, 2011, 09:55:50 pm »

I think the meaning is that you must acknowledge that you're doing it because the policeman is forcing you, not out of your free will, but you must comply, lest you get tazed and handcuffed for opposing the fist of JUSTICE!*

*for certain definitions of justice
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: November 17, 2011, 11:10:00 pm »

We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: November 17, 2011, 11:20:04 pm »

It's all over the Occupy News here in Eastern Washington. I made sure of that.

We need to get the police to stop beating us so we can get back to the message. Seriously.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: November 17, 2011, 11:22:47 pm »

What Chairman said. Plainly, it is about what is admissible as evidence or excluded under the fourth amendment in court.

Also there are three types of police/citizen encounters in the United States.

Voluntary
Terry Stop {reasonable suspicion}
Probable Cause.

If at all possible, a prosecutor will try to say that you volunteered to let the officer do/see/search whatever he did, and thus it becomes easy for the state to get evidence into the record. If you say you are submitting to the officer's authority, then you are kinda ruling out that whole "voluntary" thing, which makes it harder to say you were resisting arrest or shove you into the evidence categories favoring the police.  Of course saying it and doing it ....

Unfortunately it's stupidly complex, the plain view rule applies (If the officer is in a place he is allowed to be and he sees a crime, it's in evidence, but if he's not supposed to be in that palce without probable cause/reasonable suspicion, then he should have it....)

Motion in Limine also motion to exclude evidence, etc.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 11:27:17 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: November 17, 2011, 11:49:23 pm »

I've done a bit more reading on it, and I understand the arguments on both sides.

I guess my major question mark is just how much abuse are you supposed to tolerate before resistance becomes excusable?  Is there ever such a boundary?  Leaving it up to the courts to make things right after the fact, and resigning you to complete powerlessness in the meantime is just such an easy tool for a corrupt institution to abuse... and they do.  For instance, Occupy has been somewhat immune/exempt from this due to its broad scale and indefinite duration, but the single most common police tactic at other protest events is to simply mass arrest people on fake charges, hold them until the event is over, then drop the charges and release them.  Often, relevant parties will donate to the city in advance to cover the legal fees, so that those who choose to go to court over their treatment are simply paid their settlements.  Besides the implied absurd notion that prevention isn't a priority because any kind of wrongdoing a person might suffer can be made right by throwing money on it after the fact, it turns violating people's rights into an easily measured cost that can be managed like any other...

And I don't like the argument that it's to protect the police from irrationally violent responses, either.  Danger is their job.  They accept the risks when they accept the job, and get paid for them.  Why does the law put more effort into protecting them than into protecting citizens from potential abuses by them?  An ordinary citizen did not volunteer and does not benefit from being put in a dangerous position.  The burden should be on authorities to take the maximum amount of care to keep matters honest and civil, and I can't think of any more effective means than to make that a matter of their safety.

Edit:  This cheered me up a bit.  A reporter for the Daily Caller, a publication that has so far been demonizing the protesters, has apparently changed her mind about them after she and her cameraman were attacked by police for being obvious journalists and protesters moved in to help.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 11:59:23 pm by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: November 17, 2011, 11:58:57 pm »

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #1615 on: November 18, 2011, 12:07:10 am »

I've done a bit more reading on it, and I understand the arguments on both sides.

I guess my major question mark is just how much abuse are you supposed to tolerate before resistance becomes excusable?  Is there ever such a boundary?

You have to let them kill you. Justice will be served when the police departments insurance pays your surviving loved ones a few million dollars and the officer is forced into an early retirement, if he is really unlucky he may not even get a full pension.

I am half kidding.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: November 18, 2011, 12:12:47 am »

I wasn't going to go quite that far, but yes...

In the interest of constructive discussion, I'll stick to examples that are of more common and widespread relevance.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: November 18, 2011, 12:14:33 am »

Wouldn't... you have to deal with the police trying to cover that up? They'd go to town on your arse trying to confiscate and misplace all possible evidence...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: November 18, 2011, 12:18:42 am »

Wouldn't... you have to deal with the police trying to cover that up? They'd go to town on your arse trying to confiscate and lose all possible evidence...

That's part of the issue.  There is the notion that evidence gained illegally becomes impermissible in court, but that doesn't do anything for evidence destroyed or altered illegally, planted illegally to be discovered later legally, or circumstances being twisted to portray the victim as having illegally resisted the officer's illegal actions, thus legalizing any further police action...

Edit:  This guy has an impressive Google photo album dedicated to Occupy  He has pretty much all of the well-known and important images related to the movement collected here, along with many I haven't seen.  425 in all
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 12:47:33 am by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: November 18, 2011, 03:05:54 am »

It's sad that we live in a country where the question of whether or not you have your civil rights in an altercation is even complicated.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 297