Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 297

Author Topic: Occupying Wallstreet  (Read 289496 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Re: Occupying Wallstreet
« Reply #1590 on: November 17, 2011, 03:48:23 pm »

We've just gone full circle.  That link was posted on this thread and inspired the conversation you just responded to with that link.
....Occupyception?

Mission Accomplished. :)
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #1591 on: November 17, 2011, 04:08:10 pm »

Truean... This is not the first time you and I have posted the same article together. This might even be the 3rd or 4th time it has happened between this and the progressive thread.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: November 17, 2011, 04:12:48 pm »

Truean... This is not the first time you and I have posted the same article together. This might even be the 3rd or 4th time it has happened between this and the progressive thread.

Great minds think alike and I pretend to have done it on purpose? [cough] "knew exactly what I was doing the whole time [cough] [doesn't look suspicious at all...].

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: November 17, 2011, 04:14:35 pm »

Bill will make wearing face coverings during a riot punishable by up to five years in prison. I wonder why. (This is actually already illegal where I am, in North Carolina.)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 04:16:38 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: November 17, 2011, 04:21:20 pm »

Bill will make wearing face coverings during a riot punishable by up to five years in prison.

... those who don't learn from history are ....

This was tried long ago with ski masks; the concern was armed robbery. The American Textile Association, noticing it would dent their wallets, did not like this.

To this day, you can wear ski mask....

Though restrictions on clothing are sometimes viable, for example, if you commit crime in Ohio while wearing body armor, you get a couple years added onto your prison sentence, same thing with a silencer on a gun.
http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2941.1411

That's more than a little different though.

Please don't quote me.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: November 17, 2011, 04:26:04 pm »

Bill will make wearing face coverings during a riot punishable by up to five years in prison. I wonder why. (This is actually already illegal where I am, in North Carolina.)

Does this include police wearing helmets/gasmasks?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: November 17, 2011, 04:26:55 pm »

Does this include police wearing helmets/gasmasks?
Silly lordooper, police don't have to follow laws.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: November 17, 2011, 04:32:40 pm »

It's worth noting, it was exactly that kind of law passed in Texas in the 1930's that spelled the beginning of the end for the Klu Klux Klan.  It'd be one of Hell of a thing to try to enforce for this kind of situation though.

I still want to shake the hand of whoever's raking in cash from all those Guy Fawkes masks.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: November 17, 2011, 04:35:58 pm »

Having anything covering your face in public has been a subject of aggressive crackdown this whole past decade.  I was eating lunch at the mall during Gencon this past year, while one officer on a segway (*snicker*) ordered two different people to remove some face-covering element of their cosplay.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #1599 on: November 17, 2011, 05:57:25 pm »

http://dailycaller.com/2011/11/17/daily-caller-reporter-videographer-assaulted-by-nypd-during-occupy-protests/#ixzz1dzG1g08a

So the NYPD has not only been beating protesters into compliance but clearly identified members of the press.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: November 17, 2011, 06:06:08 pm »

That's been happening constantly everywhere.  Seriously, there are probably hundreds of proven cases floating around on the web at this point of, not just journalists (especially amateur/indy), but anyone spotted using a cell phone or camera to document anything being singled out by the police.  This isn't unique to Occupy, either.

And it's getting to a point where it's not even unique to protests.  I've seen a couple cases pop up in the last month or so of random bystanders to standard police activity recording it with their cell phone cam and getting targeted for it.  There was one where a guy was in his own home watching a handful of police pull someone over across the street, and cell phone recording it from his living room window.  One of the officers spotted him, pounded on his door, and ordered a confiscation of the cell phone... and the guy hit the button to post the video to youtube seconds before handing the phone over.  I'll see if I can dig that one up.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: November 17, 2011, 06:08:07 pm »

One of the officers spotted him, pounded on his door, and ordered a confiscation of the cell phone... and the guy hit the button to post the video to youtube seconds before handing the phone over.  I'll see if I can dig that one up.
Oh, we repealed the Fourth Amendment now?
No Gods, No Masters.

LostCosmonaut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: November 17, 2011, 06:19:03 pm »

Several years ago, in fact. (See also: PATRIOT act)

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: November 17, 2011, 06:22:52 pm »

Strictly speaking, willingly handing it on your own is not a violation of the fourth amendment, it's only if you refuse and they take it anyway (or so I think).

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: November 17, 2011, 06:34:56 pm »

Strictly speaking, willingly handing it on your own is not a violation of the fourth amendment, it's only if you refuse and they take it anyway (or so I think).

Speaking of which, here it is.

It's not exactly as I remembered it.  The guy was recording from in his garage, and did at first refuse to hand over the phone.  Just looking up this video, I saw dozens of other links for similar things happening.

And we've had a big debate over this in Indiana recently.  I've talked about this on this forum before, but it's too relevant not to repeat it anyway.  Judges here ruled that police basically have the power to enter your home and do anything they want, even if it's illegal.  You're not allowed to attempt to obstruct in any fashion whatsoever.  If you do, then YOU are breaking the law, and the officer becomes justified for whatever they're doing.  So the only way to have eventual legal recourse is to allow them to do whatever they want, and then take it to court after the fact.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 297