Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 297

Author Topic: Occupying Wallstreet  (Read 289524 times)

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
Re: Occupying Wallstreet
« Reply #1575 on: November 16, 2011, 06:40:31 pm »

This has always been a feature of society to some extent, but civilization has always gone through cycles where resources get too concentrated in too few hands and too many people are made to suffer to be shunted off to the fringes of society where they can be ignored.
Not really actually, not at all. Middle classes are a rare thing. They've only really ever existed in modern life and in Rome. Saying that we're in a cycle and this is a point is incorrect- that cycle never existed. Historically, most of civilization has been rich and poor. There's no cycle, and the problem we have to deal with now is the restrictions on business- less money in businesses equals less money for jobs equals less jobs equals more poor and starving people. This same equalizing approach has been tried by Europe, and well look at them now. Equalizing doesn't work.
I wish there was a "that's the joke" macro for "that's the cycle." Because you LITERALLY just pointed out the exact cycle he was talking about. And you also pointed to the times in history where there existed a means by which more people could actually be happy. Rome didn't have it as well as we have it, of course, but in its heyday it was decidedly better than the times in history before it. There's a reason a good chunk of the time between Rome's fall and our own place in western history is called the Dark Ages.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: November 16, 2011, 08:05:41 pm »

Occupy as a whole perhaps, but the single local one I attended had a list of specific conditions for the local administration and had even entered negotiations with a union over some of their conditions. Perhaps the same is true for at least some other local Occupys?
That's true - and hopefully that trend will spread.  If you can gain ground on smaller, specific points you should be able to gradually make an impact on a wider scale.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: November 16, 2011, 09:42:38 pm »

I'll just pop in and say one thing about people "earning" money.

In our society, only one talent is really rewarded: business management. The geniuses and hard workers, working in the lab and making the product? They get manipulated. Their talents and hard work may actually be what causes the outgoing product to be good, but what keeps the business running are the executives, and they get all the money.

Anyone who thinks people should be rewarded relative to their prowess should absolutely loathe our system.

I do, but not in the way you think. The whole union system (prepared to take flak here) Is what prevents them from getting higher wages- Wages have to be equal.

As evidenced by the fact that private sector union workers do much better then other private sector workers in similar fields?

Middle classes are a rare thing.

So are industrial societies.  We are an industrial society.  There is a really strong correlation between middle classes and industrial societies.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 09:44:54 pm by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: November 17, 2011, 01:04:40 am »

First of all, the people who are wealthy earned their money. They deserve to keep it.
Except for all those who didn't, ie were born into wealth and stayed wealthy because of rampant nepotism in the upper classes. Really, the super rich are becoming more like nobility every day. And these guys outnumber the ones that raised themselves from poverty, because social mobility is dead.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 01:10:11 am by DJ »
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: November 17, 2011, 01:23:07 am »

I agree that they shouldn't have to lose money they don't want to. Even if they were born into it, even moreso if they legitimately earned it (which, it should be noted, would still require tremendous luck in addition to hard work, no amount of which is sufficient to guarantee success). Taxes shouldn't have to be levied. The free market should fill all the gaps in construction of infrastructure, public service, and all the other areas where government intervention is becoming more and more common.

But that's not the world we live in. We live in a world where greed is a thing, and where personal success at the expense of others is a winning strategy, and winning lets you perpetuate that strategy further. Where corporate freedoms can, counterintuitively, strangle the freedoms of people who actually exist. Just for an obvious example, it's in an insurance company's best interests never to fulfill the purpose for which it exists - paying on policies is not profitable. So this sort of function needs to be tied to another system where consequences for abuse can (in theory) be applied. A government is, again in theory, great for this, but you need to prevent corruption and that's a problem. Can't think of alternatives, though, I'm rather trapped in the current paradigm at the moment. All I can do is figure out ideas for refining what we have right now.

Graduated taxes and all that are the necessary overhead for living in a world where your chances of being able to actually earn your way up from the bottom are maximized. Even if you're making a net payment due to your massive income (don't neglect the savings provided by public infrastructure such as the ubiquitous federal highway example), you're just subsidizing the system that makes rhetoric about pulling yourself up by your bootstraps viable. Think about it that way, if you rather, instead of as subsidizing people who were too lazy/unlucky to succeed.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: November 17, 2011, 01:39:40 am »

Found a discussion about OWS on the officer.com forums.

There's absolutely nothing unexpected there (incredibly insulting, violent, and misinformed) but it's there for anyone who wishes to take a look.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #1581 on: November 17, 2011, 11:00:01 am »

To keep my anti-fascist rage from boiling over from SalmonGods article, I had to find something positive.

http://news.yahoo.com/patriotic-millionaires-beg-supercommittee-higher-taxes-185620525.html
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: November 17, 2011, 11:07:35 am »

To keep my anti-fascist rage from boiling over from SalmonGods article, I had to find something positive.

http://news.yahoo.com/patriotic-millionaires-beg-supercommittee-higher-taxes-185620525.html
That is indeed excellent news.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: November 17, 2011, 01:39:17 pm »

I think it's horrible news. Things must be dire indeed if these guys are volunteering to pay more taxes.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: November 17, 2011, 02:27:04 pm »

It's hardly the first time in American history.  Back at the guilded age, some of the titans of industry were leading the charge in the calls for progressive taxation.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: November 17, 2011, 03:28:29 pm »

It's hardly the first time in American history.  Back at the guilded age, some of the titans of industry were leading the charge in the calls for progressive taxation.
Although that may have had something to do with the logical conclusion of the Gospel of Wealth.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: November 17, 2011, 03:39:19 pm »

Although that may have had something to do with the logical conclusion of the Gospel of Wealth.

The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: November 17, 2011, 03:41:44 pm »

We've just gone full circle.  That link was posted on this thread and inspired the conversation you just responded to with that link.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: November 17, 2011, 03:43:41 pm »

We've just gone full circle.  That link was posted on this thread and inspired the conversation you just responded to with that link.
....Occupyception?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: November 17, 2011, 03:44:01 pm »

We have entered an endless recursion of time.

Kyon-kun denwa~
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 297