Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 297

Author Topic: Occupying Wallstreet  (Read 289519 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Occupying Wallstreet
« Reply #1500 on: November 12, 2011, 07:50:12 pm »

But if the establishment just let the occupy people occupy to their hearts content, there wouldn't be anything to hurt the establishment about that.  The occupation is only a danger to them if they act stupid.

They'd be free to get their message out for other people to judge based on its own merit.  If this wasn't a threat, then they would have no reason not to allow it.  There is definitely stupidity by many individuals on the ground (such as overworked and emotionally conflicted low-ranking officers), but there are people higher up who are intentionally molding the circumstances that will produce those instances of stupidity and surely calculate that there is less risk involved in that bad press than in allowing occupiers to continue their awareness campaign in the long-term.

Here's a disturbing link 

Priorities

In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: November 12, 2011, 08:02:37 pm »

Today I learned to never look at the comments on the Huffington Post, ever.

Its almost like im reading the comments on youtube. "THE MAN OBVIOUSLY JUMPED IN FRONT OF THE CAR AND ATTACKED THE DRIVER."
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 08:24:45 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: November 13, 2011, 08:32:01 pm »

Well, it turns out Occupy Cardiff was forcibly shut down (on the first day) by the police after I had left due to family obligations.  Tents and people's personal effects were seized and six people were arrested for sitting on some grass and having a chat.  Apparently the charges for the arrests were "failing to adhere to a direction to leave land when ordered to do so" which is hardly lawful justification for arrest. 

The arrests were carried out under Section 61 of the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994. This act specifies that the following criteria must be met before it can be enacted:

(1) “That two or more persons are trespassing on the land and (2) they are present there with the common purpose of residing there for any period.” However, before this direction can be issued, the officer must (3) ensure that reasonable steps have been taken by or on behalf of the landowner/occupier to ask them to leave and (4) either :

That any of the persons have caused damage to the land or property or used threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour towards the occupier or his family/agents.

Note that the primary criteria for a section 61CJA is that the persons must be trespassing. The very nature of publicly owned land is that it cannot be trespassed upon.

Therefore, the arrests were unlawful. The eviction was unlawful because it violated Section 11 of the European Convention on Human Rights (Freedom of Assembly) and none of the conditions that would permit police to forcibly evict protesters applied.

Discussions are in progress over how to continue the protest.

Protesters being all evil towards the beginning of the day.
Video of eviction, although the commentator seems to be attempting to make the police come as across as more violent than they are being.  Very forcible and definitely illegal, not necessarily violent IMO.

Also; http://zunguzungu.wordpress.com/2011/11/11/the-grass-is-closed-what-i-have-learned-about-power-from-the-police-chancellor-birgeneau-and-occupy-cal/ is a bloody good read and makes quite a few pretty valid points in my opinion.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: November 13, 2011, 08:34:23 pm »

As I understand it, the city of Oakland is going to be trying to shut down their Occupy branch once and for all soon. Anyone have any news on that, or am I misinformed?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: November 13, 2011, 08:37:52 pm »

Quote from: The Clash
You have the right to free speech, as long as you're not dumb enough to actually try it!

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: November 13, 2011, 08:41:08 pm »

Also; http://zunguzungu.wordpress.com/2011/11/11/the-grass-is-closed-what-i-have-learned-about-power-from-the-police-chancellor-birgeneau-and-occupy-cal/
I liked a line from this very much:
“Civil Disobedience” has always been, manifestly and unmistakably, a tradition of disobeying the civil authorities. I feel silly even needing to spell that out.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: November 13, 2011, 08:43:29 pm »

As I understand it, the city of Oakland is going to be trying to shut down their Occupy branch once and for all soon. Anyone have any news on that, or am I misinformed?

Considering how well that's faired for them in the past, I think they would have to be phenomenally stupid to try that.

That said, they have demonstrated phenomenal stupidity, soo...
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: November 13, 2011, 08:50:29 pm »

I know this is a selfish thing to think, but my goodness, I hope there isn't another riot-flavored situation in Oakland.  I'm so tired of the buses here being fucked up.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: November 13, 2011, 08:52:53 pm »

Considering how well that's faired for them in the past, I think they would have to be phenomenally stupid to try that.

That said, they have demonstrated phenomenal stupidity, soo...
Exactly what I said when I heard about it. According to the person who told me, the motivation for this shutdown is some shootings that happened. I remember that, but I don't remember the specifics of it. Hence why I need more information.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: November 13, 2011, 08:53:31 pm »

It's selfish to think so but I sure hope there is another riot.  Riots in oakland only disrupt the buses in that one city but give life to the desire for social change nationwide.  Thanks for taking one for the team, bud.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: November 13, 2011, 08:55:47 pm »

It's selfish to think so but I sure hope there is another riot.  Riots in oakland only disrupt the buses in that one city but give life to the desire for social change nationwide.  Thanks for taking one for the team, bud.

I bloody don't.  Civil disobedience is at it's best when civil.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: November 13, 2011, 08:59:10 pm »

I hope the police start it but it is ugly enough to be news but not ugly enough for anyone to suffer long term injury.  It's a pretty focused kind of selfish.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: November 13, 2011, 09:05:54 pm »

Yes, and being repeatedly unable to get to class on time due to--what now?--being unable to pay for housing closer to campus seems kind of, well, a little bit sad.

*shrug*
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

thobal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: November 13, 2011, 09:14:25 pm »

Yes, and being repeatedly unable to get to class on time due to--what now?--being unable to pay for housing closer to campus seems kind of, well, a little bit sad.

*shrug*

But business need to be gathered in the city center in this era of instant communication and automobiles. It's not like most of the workers live miles away in the suburbs.
Signature goes here.
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 297