Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 297

Author Topic: Occupying Wallstreet  (Read 289695 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Occupying Wallstreet
« Reply #1395 on: November 10, 2011, 04:17:14 pm »

Well, it makes a hell of a lot of difference.

It's true that you see quite a few Conservatives out for Occupy - but let's be honest, I haven't seen or heard of any Tea Partiers joining up.
About that...

Yes, that is a founder of the Tea Party saying that he agrees with OWS.

Spoiler: You know you have to. (click to show/hide)

Somebody should make a version of that with Tea Partyers, OWS-ers and whatever else system-critical splinter groups you have over there. That'll get the patriotic spirit going.
Despite the fact that I'm a horrible excuse for an artist I tried my hand at making this work. I'm having trouble finding enough groups for this, but here's version 0.1. I came up with two potential taglines, but neither are set in stone.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
What other groups are really critical of the government and seeking reforms? I was thinking of possibly including Human Rights Watch or Amnesty International, but I don't think they are exactly right for this.
Suggestions?
Improvements?
Merciless criticisms?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: November 10, 2011, 04:46:01 pm »

Merciless criticisms?

It does not make sense.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: November 10, 2011, 04:47:52 pm »

Merciless criticisms?

It does not make sense.
Sure it does. People have to unite to drive corporate influence out of government to fix the government. Right now, people are only somewhat united, into groups that still don't consider each other allies, most notably the Tea Party and Occupy.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: November 10, 2011, 04:49:58 pm »

Go with the history repeats slogan. It's punchier, and yet more ominous. Maybe try and match the fonts to the original style if you can as well, it will give a more cohesive looking poster.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: November 10, 2011, 04:51:28 pm »

into groups that still don't consider each other allies,

That is because they are not allies. They pretty much want the opposite thing.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: November 10, 2011, 04:54:49 pm »

I was indeed hoping to match the original font, but the issue is that I can't quite find one that matches well. It is 300 years old, but I didn't check every last font available, so there might still be something. I did take the text color straight from the existing lettering, but of course it doesn't look quite the same coming from a computer as it does on an ancient parchment. And on top of it all, I still lack all possible artistic skill.
into groups that still don't consider each other allies,

That is because they are not allies. They pretty much want the opposite thing.
They honestly are not all that different. Occupy is more focused on big buisness and Tea Party is more focused on big government, but those two problems feed one another. They have the same source issue, and that's power and money hungry sociopaths getting into positions of importance.
No Gods, No Masters.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: November 10, 2011, 05:03:03 pm »

The tea party isn't focused on the parts of big goverment that help out big business.... I don't think there's really much of a chance for a partnership between the two
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: November 10, 2011, 05:13:37 pm »

The tea party wants the government out of business and business in the government.

OWS wants the business out of government and the government in business.

Directly at odds that.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: November 10, 2011, 05:26:23 pm »

I'm not so sure about that. I don't think the Tea Party particularly wants business in government, either, but doesn't see it as the root of the problems they protest against. I'm talking about the people here who actually support it, not the people who cynically manipulate it for personal gain. I think OWS wants a limited involvement of government in business (regulatory only, not some sort of planned economy; I have to say this because "government in business" is a drastic oversimplification) that could be compatible with Tea Party ideals.

Basically though, I don't think the members of the Tea Party are inherently pro-business, nor is OWS inherently anti-business. Both the Tea Party and OWS oppose abuses of government and business, respectively, although there are certainly many people on the more extreme ends of both groups that just oppose government or business entirely, and these are the ones opponents of either are going to point to as ridiculous in an attempt to ridicule the entire group.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: November 10, 2011, 05:51:20 pm »

There's too much variance in both groups.  In the broadest generalization possible, they basically want the same things (more equal society) through different means. 

In general, the Tea Party blames the government for meddling in the economy, which they claim breaks the natural mechanisms of capitalism, creating monopolies and extreme concentrations of wealth.  They want an absolute separation of business and government (the government only exists to enforce contracts and maintain a standing army), but their perspective generally fails to acknowledge how impossible it is to maintain that degree of separation.  They generally disagree with the amount of power large corporations have, but generally fail to direct a proportionate amount of their energy towards protesting big business vs government.

In general, the Occupy movement blames big business for meddling in the government, which they claim breaks the natural mechanisms of public representation, creating monopolies and extreme concentrations of wealth.  They want an absolute separation of business and government (the government only exists to equally reflect the collective will of all its people), but their perspective generally fails to acknowledge how impossible it is to maintain that degree of separation.  They generally disagree with the ways that governments are abusing their powers, but generally fail to direct a proportionate amount of their energy towards protesting government vs big business.

I know multiple Tea Partiers of various kinds and have been somewhat involved with Occupy.  The major differences in character that I see are the Tea Party has been very co-opted by external influences and is more directly political and organized.  Occupiers tend to be less directly political and organized, but much more resistant to being co-opted and tend to be a little more aware of all the things I just described.

They could get along... but it would take a lot of maturity from participants on both sides to make it mutually beneficial... and quite frankly, I don't think most of the Tea Party has that.  They're just too stubborn and divisive.  I do know people who support both.  I just don't expect it to happen on a larger scale.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 05:53:32 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: November 10, 2011, 06:25:35 pm »

I know multiple Tea Partiers of various kinds and have been somewhat involved with Occupy.  The major differences in character that I see are the Tea Party has been very co-opted by external influences and is more directly political and organized.  Occupiers tend to be less directly political and organized, but much more resistant to being co-opted and tend to be a little more aware of all the things I just described.

While I agree, does anyone else see the irony of this statement in relation to all the posts in CrownofFire's Tea-party link by the moderate to hardcore conservatives saying the exact same thing about OWS?
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: November 10, 2011, 06:28:18 pm »

That just shows how hard the TP has been "co-opted"

Although not really since they have not been co-opted. To be co-opted means that it must have not been the point from the start.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #1407 on: November 10, 2011, 06:28:52 pm »

The tea party wants the government out of business and business in the government.

OWS wants the business out of government and the government in business.

Directly at odds that.
Isn't the main point of BOTH basically "government out of business AND business out of government"?

The Tea Party just wants the government to have less power (so that there's less to lobby FOR), and OWS wants businesses to have less power (to have less TO lobby).

And also, a TP founder agrees with OWS, so there's that.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: November 10, 2011, 06:31:25 pm »

No.

It revolves around regulation and corruption.

The two sides of the same coin. Both want to lessen the coin, but they want to do it to other sides.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: November 10, 2011, 06:32:16 pm »

The Tea Party just wants the government to have less power (so that there's less to lobby FOR), and OWS wants businesses to have less power (to have less TO lobby).

You summed it up much better than I.

Occupiers in Atlanta are attempting to save a police officer from foreclosure and eviction.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 297