Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 297

Author Topic: Occupying Wallstreet  (Read 289771 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Occupying Wallstreet
« Reply #1335 on: November 02, 2011, 10:12:09 pm »

Haven't been checking in on Occupy news for a while.  Been too busy and exhausted.  Decided to hit the news stream for a few minutes and this image is the first thing that caught my eye.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That guy has the best facial expression.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: November 03, 2011, 12:19:04 pm »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: November 03, 2011, 12:43:29 pm »

Yeah, I should've explained. My fault; it's somewhat obscure. Let me fix that.

Cutting to the quick, Ohio criminal defendants, including those arrested at these protests, can expect to pay much higher court fees, and its possible this might become a trend in other states. Basically the courts are and have been strapped for cash in general in this country, because no one wants to pay for them. Thus, the courts have been fudging the rules about costs and fees for quite some time. The article details how someone finally called them on this and it may spread to other courts. It's annoyingly complex, but basically the court spread out its revenue gathering through widespread (improper) fees. Now, the courts might have to concentrate fees more towards individual defendants. This is especially true if people become entitled to refunds for old cases, which is money the courts already spent.... "Technically," it could shift the burden to cities, but who's raising taxes right now...?

Getting arrested at a protest could easily end up costing you twice as much in court fees alone as it would have before this happened if I'm right about this.... Of course there is another possible outcome if the court can't raise its fees and that's not good. You know what happens when nobody pays for justice? We don't get it. Who knows exactly how that'll play out, but the court can't provide what it can't afford to.... Maybe local rules will be amended or some other mechanism to make ends meet in the budget, who knows. Point being, it won't be good.

Frankly, the courts are the only thing keeping this whole... thing... from becoming really really bad. A blow to them is not good.

http://news.yahoo.com/occupy-protesters-remove-blockade-oakland-port-161355762.html

double shit

Yes, and speaking of arrests.... :(
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 01:02:33 pm by Truean »

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Frajic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: November 03, 2011, 01:16:09 pm »

They should have to spread a message through the largest websites and occupations: that we can NOT turn to violence and vandalism. We need to stay in the right, or else the movement will collapse.
EoS company name: Vikings Inc.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: November 03, 2011, 02:10:53 pm »

The guy on the right is wearing my gas mask.

More importantly, holy fuck what happened out there?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: November 03, 2011, 02:49:23 pm »

http://www.businessinsider.com/marine-with-crowd-control-training-points-out-oakland-used-methods-prohibited-in-war-zones-2011-10#ixzz1c7w5tBXC

Holy shit.

Whelp. :I
Occupiers should really use this as much as possible, saying that riot cops/police and gov't treat our own citizens worse then soldiers would against a group of foreign civilians.

And heck, wasn't the Oakland folks not looking for another clash with the protesters?

Edit: Oh nevermind, anarchists happened...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: November 03, 2011, 03:01:40 pm »

And heck, wasn't the Oakland folks not looking for another clash with the protesters?

Edit: Oh nevermind, anarchists happened...

Yeah, it had to happen sooner or later.  Now you've got pictures of guys in black bandannas, and a few scary black people, breaking windows and burning cars, therefor all social unrest is from now on just mindless self-entitled anarchy.  You're not a Bolshevik, are you?  Then get off the street, go home, put on your frycook apron if you're lucky enough to have one, and shut up.

God I hate watching this shit play out one day at a time.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: November 03, 2011, 03:06:18 pm »

Meh. I think the truth is if the movement itself turned violent, there would be fuck all the authorities could do. With the numbers these protests are generating, I'd hope any casual observers would note how little violence there has been so far.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: November 03, 2011, 03:25:01 pm »

..."They sang 'the Red Flag', they wore the black one".
Love, scriver~

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: November 03, 2011, 11:53:50 pm »

Meh. I think the truth is if the movement itself turned violent, there would be fuck all the authorities could do. With the numbers these protests are generating, I'd hope any casual observers would note how little violence there has been so far.
That's not how people think. Believe me. People say things like, "Well, even one death caused by this medicine is too many" without considering how many it might save, then hop right into their car and drive home. They're not going to consider how many protestors aren't violent unless somebody points it out, and nobody will because that doesn't get ratings and doesn't get subscriptions.

EDIT: Oh, right, and because I need to say this every time I say something about "people", I'm obviously no different. I have to consciously force myself to avoid thinking that way, and clearly I can't succeed in 100% of cases.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: November 04, 2011, 12:08:56 am »

That's not how people think. Believe me. People say things like, "Well, even one death caused by this medicine is too many" without considering how many it might save, then hop right into their car and drive home. They're not going to consider how many protestors aren't violent unless somebody points it out, and nobody will because that doesn't get ratings and doesn't get subscriptions.

This; the whole point of a peaceful protest is who comes out with good PR. This basically boils down to a game of chicken; whoever blinks (commits a violent act) loses. First round went to OWS after the Oakland debacle, but anarchistic protesters will swing it right back the other way if you aren't careful.

...and trust me, if OWS loses the protection of good publicity, they would be rounded up and shut down overnight.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: November 04, 2011, 03:20:37 am »

http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-episodes/s15e12-one-percent

We all knew south park would eventually do an episode.... Of course, Eric Cartman is the 1% screwing over everyone else....

Please don't quote me.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: November 04, 2011, 03:57:55 am »

http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-episodes/s15e12-one-percent

We all knew south park would eventually do an episode.... Of course, Eric Cartman is the 1% screwing over everyone else....
Is it me or is South Park starting to shy away from taking a firm stance on an issue? Been that way for the last few years. Just watched the one in the link and it was weak, even if I completely disregard my own bias (as much as I can, I suppose). It wasn't really funny, and just used Cartman as a scapegoat to get some very mildly not PC stuff by. Hope they get back to their roots...

Sorry if I got a bit off-topic :(.
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 297