Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 297

Author Topic: Occupying Wallstreet  (Read 290090 times)

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Occupying Wallstreet
« Reply #1020 on: October 26, 2011, 05:48:23 pm »

All that is well and good, but doesnt explain the interveiw given on channel 4 by a protestor who confirmed that "many people" (her words...) left at night.
Because many people do leave at night.

The tents are provided by the organisation as a whole. People sign into them each night if they are staying. But a large amount of protesters go home. Much the same way many go to work during the day. Some people are in poor health and can't stay overnight. And finally there simply isn't room for everyone. Estimates put daytime protests at around 1000 people while about 250 stay overnight. Using the accounts from the protesters, that's around 75% of the tents taken. They probably couldn't house more than 500 people at night without serious overcrowding or expansion. Which is hard because there isn't really much public land in London to occupy like this.

This is how longer term protests and occupations work. People come and go so that there is a constant presence. The occupiers have said they are planning so they could stay for months if possible and necessary. Not many people will be able to actually stay on site till Christmas, but for a well designed and maintained camp keeping a presence till then is entirely possible.

EDIT: That article reminded me of something;
Last week, on Have I Got News For You, MP Louise Mensch asked why the occupiers, if they hated capitalism so much, bought coffee from Starbucks.
Well, for one thing they needed access to some sort of hygiene facilities. Under UK law they were only required to be provided with portable toilets when the police kettled them, and those were taken away later. Then there were problems once they secured new ones thanks to St Paul's utterly inconsistent stance on health and safety. During the day they make do with public facilities in the area, including those at local businesses.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 05:53:02 pm by palsch »

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: October 26, 2011, 05:53:29 pm »

http://www.npr.org/2011/10/26/141733471/are-crackdowns-a-turning-point-for-occupy-protests

This has the image of the people dragging away the unconscious person.  Note the girl in the orange-ish sweater and the swirly red/black cap in both the video and the picture.

Commendable action from these people.

EDIT: Also, hilarious how just about everyone has one of them fancy phones out.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 05:56:09 pm by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: October 26, 2011, 06:00:09 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: October 26, 2011, 07:52:34 pm »

That's an actual comic, isn't it. I swear I've read it before, in hard copy.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: October 26, 2011, 09:21:39 pm »

Word is getting passed around that protesters have taken back the park in Oakland.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: October 26, 2011, 09:22:29 pm »

Word is getting passed around that protesters have taken back the park in Oakland.
The way information is being passed around reminds me of some kind of underground rebellion.

Viva la resistance?
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: October 26, 2011, 09:24:16 pm »

Traditional news outlets just can't match the pace of regular people on twitter.  So that's how things are happening now.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: October 26, 2011, 09:24:49 pm »

We've reached tweetical mass.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: October 26, 2011, 09:28:42 pm »

Traditional news outlets just can't match the pace of regular people on twitter.  So that's how things are happening now.
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I guess Twitter is a good thing after all.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: October 26, 2011, 09:35:09 pm »

Social media is, in general.  Very useful.  Bored extroverts just give it a bad name.  What I'm actually looking at is people posting and re-posting a link to a twitter post on a Google+ stream.  So it's all an informally conglomerated network of information shooting back and forth between different vendors in almost real-time.  I think it's pretty neat.

Rumors of National Guard incoming to Oakland...  Someone mentioned this in relation to the rumor.  Anyone know if it's true?

So - in case anyone isn't aware of the National Guards history ... it was created to deal with Labor protests as the government didn't want to use the military in civil issues ... yeah ... there's a rather bloody history when the National Guard is brought into protests
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 10:03:08 pm by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

thobal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: October 26, 2011, 10:53:45 pm »

To lighten the mood slightly, I give you this 99% tale of woe.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

But seriously, this happens to people everyday.
Signature goes here.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: October 26, 2011, 10:58:34 pm »

Rumors of National Guard incoming to Oakland...  Someone mentioned this in relation to the rumor.  Anyone know if it's true?

So - in case anyone isn't aware of the National Guards history ... it was created to deal with Labor protests as the government didn't want to use the military in civil issues ... yeah ... there's a rather bloody history when the National Guard is brought into protests
That's federal intervention, so I doubt it's true. But if it is, things are about to get very messy, and Obama's approval rating is about to break Bush Jr.'s lower record.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: October 26, 2011, 11:03:06 pm »

We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: October 26, 2011, 11:07:00 pm »

Uhh... wrong. The National Guard originated from the colonial government-sponsored militias in and around the Massachusetts Bay colony, created in the 1640s to defend against the Native Americans. They predate the U.S. government and the concept of labor unions entirely.

Won't deny that shit tends to hit fans when they are brought in to quell protestors, but their history is far less sinister than this person claims.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 11:12:04 pm by Impending Doom »
Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: October 26, 2011, 11:13:18 pm »

I have to say that "be an instrument to genocide" is slightly worse than "curb labor unions."
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 297