Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 297

Author Topic: Occupying Wallstreet  (Read 290134 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Occupying Wallstreet
« Reply #990 on: October 26, 2011, 04:06:06 am »

Looks like Albuquerque is next.  There has also been major police action in Atlanta, but I haven't heard as much about it.

Also, doesn't Oakland have this rap of being a pretty violent place in general? Not sure how much of it is from unfounded or just plain popular rumors, though.

I've been noticing lots of nastiness in the Oakland area ever since the Oscar Grant shooting.  Even so, I'm still pretty shocked at the treatment of protesters there.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 04:08:18 am by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: October 26, 2011, 04:08:21 am »

They recently cut Oakland's PD by a good 100+. But honestly, those guys have to deal with bad shit. I don't envy their jobs.

When you say "recently", how recently do you mean?  I'd like to hear about this.

I know a couple dozen people have been arrested in Dallas lately, but that was for making a nuisance of themselves in places they shouldn't.  (Bad place to hold an anti-police rally?  On a main street, in front of the county jail.)  On the other hand, there is now an OccupyPolice - how numerous or legit they are is an open question, but the Dallas PD helping the crowd at city hall carry their supplies around made their portal.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: October 26, 2011, 05:06:45 am »

Supposedly the guy who got shot in the face was a veteran.  That's quite the compounding of bad PR.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: October 26, 2011, 05:15:04 am »

They recently cut Oakland's PD by a good 100+. But honestly, those guys have to deal with bad shit. I don't envy their jobs.

When you say "recently", how recently do you mean?  I'd like to hear about this.

I had to look it up again, talks were up to let go of 150 officers last year.

However, negotiations brought down the amount off officers laid off to 80, in a town that... needless to say... needs a lot more police officers. Good officers.
http://articles.sfgate.com/2010-07-14/news/21982318_1_union-s-attorney-officer-layoffs-union-leaders

During the Oscar Grant riots following the "involuntary manslaughter" verdict of the white officer that shot in the back and killed the black, restrained and innocent Oscar Grant- Oakland shipped in riot police and regular officers from all over the bay. A lot of out-of-town white people looking to riot made up a large amount of rioter/looters as well. Strange situation.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 05:22:56 am by KaelGotDwarves »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: October 26, 2011, 06:54:24 am »

Well-edited video showing exactly which officer threw that explosive at the unconscious person, and that it was quite intentional.
I'm willing to give the police the benefit of a doubt, but it seemed quite harsh. Maybe he felt that group needed to be dispersed, maybe he didn't see the person who was already knocked down, maybe he was an asshole and the other cops chewed him out for it afterwords, maybe they are on edge because the protesters kept deliberately pushing them (difficult to tell because pretty much any perspective is labeled as super biased).
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 07:08:43 am by Lagslayer »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: October 26, 2011, 07:31:31 am »

I will say that from my past experience, the DC police were a good bunch. When I was marching there in 2002-03, they were highly professional. Raleigh PD is a pretty good group as well.

When you have cities that decide to do a crackdown, like NYPD or Oakland or Chicago...you have to wonder how much politics and/or corporate money is involved in "pushing" the police to use force. LAPD used to be the ones with the bad reputation for beating people (Rodney King ring a bell?) and their behavior in this has been exemplary from what I've heard.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: October 26, 2011, 07:46:22 am »

Well-edited video showing exactly which officer threw that explosive at the unconscious person, and that it was quite intentional.
I'm willing to give the police the benefit of a doubt, but it seemed quite harsh. Maybe he felt that group needed to be dispersed, maybe he didn't see the person who was already knocked down, maybe he was an asshole and the other cops chewed him out for it afterwords, maybe they are on edge because the protesters kept deliberately pushing them (difficult to tell because pretty much any perspective is labeled as super biased).
Or maybe they're a bunch of thugs carrying out inexcusable actions. Just saying
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: October 26, 2011, 07:46:53 am »

That's a whole lotta maybe in response to a whole lotta documented truth.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: October 26, 2011, 08:47:13 am »

Well it is the age of conspiracies. Pretty much everyone can agree that things involving the government/coorporations/media can't always be taken at face value (except their own opinions, or course). Is there any denying that the protesters would benefit from the police looking like the bad guys, or vice versa? Is it possible that the government is pulling strings to get the police to do what they want, or stuff like the unions pulling strings with a lot of the protesters? Is it possible that just a few bad cops are making them all look bad, or just a few bad protesters making all of the others look bad?

Besides, we already discussed that personal bias comes into peoples' decision making.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: October 26, 2011, 09:21:29 am »

Was it appropriate to the situation?

No.  It is immoral behavior.  There you go, end of argument.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: October 26, 2011, 09:55:39 am »

Fascinating idea.

As long as I understand them correctly and they're just printing ON dollar bills instead of trying to print dollar bills. Cause, y'know...counterfeiting and all. Which I'm sure is what FOX will accuse them of.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: October 26, 2011, 10:21:23 am »

Besides, we already discussed that personal bias comes into peoples' decision making.

Yes they might have the motive in the broadest possible terms but they don't have anything resembling the means or the opportunity to come up with an elaborate conspiracy to make it look like the police attacked them.

Furthermore you are ignoring the fact that most people won't resort to extreme measures to promote their cause.  These people resorted to the measure of sitting around and being a slight nuisance.  You think that proves they are ruthless enough to engage in a massive conspiracy?

All in all it requires a very convoluted explanation whereas "who ever is running the oakland police is a jackass" is pretty darn simple.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 10:23:08 am by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: October 26, 2011, 10:29:52 am »

Perhaps they attacked those rubber bullets by throwing their bodies at them at a high rate of speed.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: October 26, 2011, 10:32:46 am »

Perhaps they attacked those rubber bullets by throwing their bodies at them at a high rate of speed.
Innocent Rubber Bullets were harmed by violent protesters, think of families of those Rubber Bullets!
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 297