Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 297

Author Topic: Occupying Wallstreet  (Read 290156 times)

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
Re: Occupying Wallstreet
« Reply #960 on: October 25, 2011, 09:42:09 pm »

I'm sorry, not familiar with the language, but 'bean bag bullets'?
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: October 25, 2011, 09:43:39 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bean_bag_round
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: October 25, 2011, 09:44:14 pm »

Shotgun shells, but instead of firing metal pellet, they fire a nylon bag of plastic balls.  It's a non-lethal round (unless you get hit in the throat) for taking people down without permanently injuring them.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: October 25, 2011, 09:47:58 pm »

There's no such thing as a non-lethal round. That's propaganda to make the public feel better, because the accurate term is less-lethal. You can be killed or severely injured  by bean bag rounds just fine.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #964 on: October 25, 2011, 09:48:15 pm »

A shotgun shell packed with a smaller than standard powder charge with a project consisting of a fabric bag containing bean or more likely plastic pellets. It won't penetrate flesh but on a direct hit or on an undersized victim can cause severe bruising, broken bones, internal bleeding and lethal organ damage.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

atomicwinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: October 25, 2011, 09:48:24 pm »

Shotgun shells, but instead of firing metal pellet, they fire a nylon bag of plastic balls.  It's a non-lethal round (unless you get hit in the throat) for taking people down without permanently injuring them.
From Wiki
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I've seen them used, they leave nasty bruisers just because they are non lethal doesn't mean they aren't brutal.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: October 25, 2011, 09:50:40 pm »

Potentially lethal or not, we should all be able to agree that they're major overkill for a group that has been completely non-combative and cooperative to every extent other than dispersing on command.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: October 25, 2011, 10:16:23 pm »

There's no such thing as a non-lethal round. That's propaganda to make the public feel better, because the accurate term is less-lethal. You can be killed or severely injured  by bean bag rounds just fine.

Lol
Not that being hit by one is a laughing matter...
Magma is overrated.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: October 25, 2011, 10:21:13 pm »

First-hand account of the Oakland raid this morning.  Note that this guy is not an occupier, and claims he used to be only mildly sympathetic to the movement.  He seems really spooked by the experience.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: October 25, 2011, 10:23:41 pm »

The rubber bullets that were used around here back in the day were larger than that, and had to be shot using special cannons and such. When I was 10 or so, I went to the street after a riot, kept one as a toy.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: October 25, 2011, 10:29:19 pm »

Note that this guy is not an occupier, and claims he used to be only mildly sympathetic to the movement.
As I walked away and got into my car, I left as a full fledged Occupier.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: October 25, 2011, 10:33:32 pm »

Note that this guy is not an occupier, and claims he used to be only mildly sympathetic to the movement.
As I walked away and got into my car, I left as a full fledged Occupier.

emphasis added

So tonight's ugliness has begun in Oakland.  This looks like it might be the first full-fledged confrontation of the movement in America, after over a month of being mostly peaceful.

This is supposedly a live video feed

Another short clip I can't watch
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: October 25, 2011, 10:34:41 pm »

<lcs>Riot police are Imperial Stormtroopers.  Realization of this is key to enlightenment.</lcs>

The term "non-lethal" is detestably misleading.  Since any weapon by definition is capable of causing serious harm to a person, intentionally or not, their use in subduing another should be accompanied by the awareness of this fact, and ignorance of this is either willful or negligent and results in people dying for no good reason.

So, either these police are fine with the fact that they might lethally injure unarmed men, women and children in the name of following orders, or they lack the proper discipline and restraint to be entrusted with such weapons.  So who's job is it to make sure the police are taking all necessary precautions and ascribing punishment to those who impunely brutalize the people they swore to protect?

There must be some way for the people to stand up for what is right before the powerful and the wrong.  The free nation is ours, and so too the burden of leveling inequity.  If justice remains unserved, the duty is ours to serve it.  Do the research and find your representatives.  Carry dissent to the polls and sweep out chunks of existing governance.

The world is paying attention, speak!

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: October 25, 2011, 11:05:03 pm »

Whelp, I think I found out why they cleared all the protesters out of Melbourne last weekend; the Queen came to visit Melbourne today. Can't have the royalty being offended by the unwashed masses after all...
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: October 25, 2011, 11:46:12 pm »

Holy shit, Oakland Police. That's a serious counterpoint to The Albany Police Department's disobedience to the orders that would have had them remove the protesters there.
Without really intending to, and by virtue of being the person most willing to write stuff down and talk occasionally... I'm now in charge of preparing, organizing, and hosting a Move Your Money public event for November 5.  How the heck did that happen?

Also, at 24, I was the youngest person there by at least five or ten years, and way below the average age.  Where are all the hippie chicks I was promised?
That sounds like what happened at Occupy [My Small Town] to me. I'm 16, and asides from a friend of mine I brought along who was 17, everyone else had to have been at least 25-30. Nobody else would speak up, though, so I was voted to be our 'internet ambassador' to the other Occupy groups and various organizing websites, and my friend is in charge of the Facebook, Twitter, and Google+ pages. Funny what taking initiative can get you into...

From what I hear, each of the 20 or so Occupy groups in Washington is selecting a representative (such as myself) to meet up sometime. Well, maybe not Occupy Seattle, we haven't heard from them yet. This should be pretty exciting, I imagine. I'll have to find some way to get myself to the meetings.  :P

(If there are any. I'm not sure if this is going through yet.)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 297