Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 297

Author Topic: Occupying Wallstreet  (Read 290220 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Occupying Wallstreet
« Reply #930 on: October 25, 2011, 12:20:55 am »

On a significantly lighter note:

End the disenfranchisement of Pluto! Occupy Pluto!
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: October 25, 2011, 12:25:37 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Now how about that?

About the only place that would look good to me is on the T-Shirt of a protestor.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #932 on: October 25, 2011, 12:43:13 am »

On a significantly lighter note:

End the disenfranchisement of Pluto! Occupy Pluto!
The Plutocracy must fall!

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: October 25, 2011, 12:52:47 am »

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: October 25, 2011, 12:54:30 am »

I like how one of the Tea Party protester get a sign saying "This is a non working replica of a gun". :p

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: October 25, 2011, 12:57:07 am »

In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: October 25, 2011, 12:59:14 am »

Too late for Denver, our protesters got kicked out cause they been camping out on our Capitol Hill and our vagrancy laws don't allow that. They can still be there just can't be snoozing under the governor's light.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: October 25, 2011, 01:13:12 am »

The numbers in the "Uni debunking" article are certainly higher than they need to be - you can get by with less. I did for a year. A friend of mine did it for practically the whole run. It's hard, though. We both managed to keep our costs lower. And we both got scholarships, too. I actually got a full ride!

And I've still got debt, and he only paid it off because he's a natural businessman, and has managed to make something on the order of $100/hr being self employed doing contract work while he goes to school.

And here's the thing - it only works because there are so many other people actually PAYING the school - they were subsidizing my education. If they didn't attend, I very much doubt there would be many scholarships going around.

Also, I'm gonna put that picture of the jail thing on a sign and bring it to occupy - It's exactly the reason I go. I despise corruption and toleration of harmful lawbreaking, ESPECIALLY when those criminals are in positions of power or try to actively undermine the justice system.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: October 25, 2011, 02:54:47 am »

Sorry to dig this up, but this struck me as unchallenged BS:
I propose that the income inequality is a symptom of a much larger societal trait, namely conformism vs individualism.
Untrue. Anecdotal evidence: the Netherlands (yeah I know there I go again). Although there's a large conformist movement, it's well known for it's openly heterogenous population in terms of race, ideology, religion, and sexual preference.

Point: You make "economic conformity" and "cultural conformity" the same thing. I highly doubt there's even a lot of correlation, worldwide.

Also, I'm gonna put that picture of the jail thing on a sign and bring it to occupy - It's exactly the reason I go.
Can imagine. That kind of shit is so rageworthy.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: October 25, 2011, 03:53:31 am »

Really, we'll never know how much property damage is done by the [insert group here] (tea party/OWS), but it's there. If it wasn't privileged, I assure you, I could attest to some stupid shit that's been done.... Additionally, it will always be denied that this damage was from X source, or someone will say that Y person was not "really" a part of X group. Then there's the "course and scope" argument, which states it was outside the course and scope of the X group or "after hours."

If someone who attends X group functions regularly trashes a bar afterwords, does that count? How affiliated with X group does Y person have to be anyhow? If said person gets into a fist fight outside that bar against a person with an opposing viewpoint after being pumped up at a rally, does that count? How about if Y person abandons their kid who holds an opposing political viewpoint and what percentage of the reason for abandonment must the political difference make up? I've had to deal with all of these and more.

Moreover, the TEA party existed before the OWS movement, so its had more time to create incidents/have morons do stupid things. Thus, would it really be fair to compare the two in terms of incidents if they were/could be properly tracked?

Or, maybe it's just the criminals I see spouting off their political beliefs/event attendance as a BS excuse for crimes they were going to commit anyhow? Who the crap knows?

The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: October 25, 2011, 01:51:47 pm »

Just saw the news and haven't looked into it much.  Won't be able to for another 3 hours or so.

But it appears things got really ugly in Oakland last night.  Massive police raid with tear gas, flashbangs, and rubber bullets.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: October 25, 2011, 01:55:27 pm »

Just saw the news and haven't looked into it much.  Won't be able to for another 3 hours or so.

But it appears things got really ugly in Oakland last night.  Massive police raid with tear gas, flashbangs, and rubber bullets.
Did the protesters do anything besides refusing to move?
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: October 25, 2011, 02:02:31 pm »

Just seen on the highly trustworthy C4 news (UK) that those "occupying London" near St. Pauls might be taking the piss a little...

1: Many were involved in "defending" the inhabitants from Dale Farm.

2: Many are know to the Police already due to other incidents - the specific one mentioned was the "Climate Camp"

... and the one that made me giggle:

3: 95% of the tents are empty at night according to police helicopter thermal imaging - confirmed by a protestor who gave a statement saying people have to travel home at night as "they live far away and have to feed thier cats"...

This is a blank sig.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: October 25, 2011, 02:25:21 pm »

Did the protesters do anything besides refusing to move?

I didn't want to say it, because I haven't verified it and it barely even makes sense for multiple reasons... but people are saying the protesters were asleep when it happened, and that the police just started firing this stuff into the crowds of tents with sleeping people in them.  I can at least confirm that it was a pre-dawn raid, making it very likely that the protesters were mostly inactive at the time and the police action was an aggressive tactic.

A quick glance at the Occupy Oakland website shows that there were 500 riot police with armored vehicles.  They allowed no media near the event.  They set up barricades over several city blocks, presumably for this purpose.  I saw one short clip from a helicopter, but there was no action in it... just absurd numbers of riot police in line formations marching on a loose crowd of people.

They evicted everyone, arrested 70, and are in the process of tearing down/confiscating everything.  Making much more mess of the place than the protesters ever did, too.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: October 25, 2011, 02:44:04 pm »

They can't do that under the First Amendment, and they have to know it. Truean, how far are you from Oakland? I think you've got a few hundred clients in the making.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 297