Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 297

Author Topic: Occupying Wallstreet  (Read 290172 times)

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
Re: Occupying Wallstreet
« Reply #915 on: October 24, 2011, 10:06:48 pm »

FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: October 24, 2011, 10:08:28 pm »

Don't mean to make anyone feel bad about it.  It's just become a pet peeve of mine over the years, on top of plenty of shallow stereotypes anybody with a rebellious/societal angst/activist/anti-capitalist lean already has to deal with.

Speaking of which, here's an article thoroughly tearing to shreds one such stereotype that's been especially popular recently.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: October 24, 2011, 10:34:55 pm »

I triggered them 35 minutes ago.

I see what you did there :D
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: October 24, 2011, 11:03:49 pm »

Anti-protest Propaganda explained and debunked

Propaganda in question:

Hint: It's not because we're lazy that people my age are angry. It's because of things like this that say or imply we are. How dare we demand equality?

Quoted from the article:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also there are plenty of reasonable numbers in the article that help to explain the likely falsehood presented by the anonymous (corporate?) picture taker.

EDIT2: Also I think I might have found this link here, my apologies to the OP of it if that is the case.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 11:09:37 pm by Duuvian »

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: October 24, 2011, 11:27:39 pm »

I think it's obvious the whole "53%" group is just anti-Occupy propaganda funded by coperations who hate the movement and supported by people who really don't know how the economy and taxes work.

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: October 24, 2011, 11:48:20 pm »

Let's play spot the difference between protest groups?
Protest organization 1:
And finally: http://helenair.com/news/article_f01b1b8a-4676-11e0-bbad-001cc4c002e0.html

Now, on to another group of protestors:

Perhaps the message the police want to send is that if you don't want to be arrested at a protest, you should bring your gun and imply armed revolution if your demands aren't met.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: October 24, 2011, 11:51:39 pm »

"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: October 24, 2011, 11:56:25 pm »

If the OWS people brought guns with them this would have turned into a slaughter of both police and protestors by now. The reason police presence is so prevalent in this is that the Tea Party tends to assemble in more rural (and thus more conservative) areas with little police presence and few gun restrictions. Occupy takes place in cities full of jittery cops and with enough regulations in place to arrest anyone for doing anything.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: October 25, 2011, 12:02:28 am »

Now how about that?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: October 25, 2011, 12:07:12 am »

The idea behind that is potentially violent crime> non-violent crime. Scamming someone carries less sentence than robbing them, as far as I know.

As for your examples, the bottom one's probably more racism than anything else.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: October 25, 2011, 12:07:52 am »

If the OWS people brought guns with them this would have turned into a slaughter of both police and protestors by now. The reason police presence is so prevalent in this is that the Tea Party tends to assemble in more rural (and thus more conservative) areas with little police presence and few gun restrictions. Occupy takes place in cities full of jittery cops and with enough regulations in place to arrest anyone for doing anything.

True as this statement may be, there doesn't seem to be an issue with armed men attending occupy wallstreet. Except for the police.

From: http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2496158/posts

Tally of MASSIVE Tea Party violence/destruction/arrests to date
Vanity ^ | Monday, 4/19/2010 | DTogo

Posted on 04/19/2010 10:43:43 AM PDT by DTogo

Tea Party rallies: thousands

Tea Party participants: millions

Tea Party squabbles with Law Enforcement: 0

Tea Parties confronted by riot police: 0

Tea Parties dispersed by tear gas: 0

Tea Party arrests: 0

Tea Parties causing violence/injuries: 0

Tea Parties causing property damage: 0

Tea Parties responsible for the death of anybody: 0

Note that a quick search for property damage relating to Occupy Wall Street only shows a man pooping on a police car (hehe). If anyone knows of worse damage than this and the estimated cost it would be helpful to compare it to the Tea party's bill for property damage (which was apparently 0$ as of 4/19/2010 according to what appears to be a more or less biased source.)

Also, here is an example of police being more reasonable and defying the arrest orders from a moneyed person in power:
The URL
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 12:23:29 am by Duuvian »

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: October 25, 2011, 12:13:54 am »

Now how about that?

Meh, I like how China handles their corporate fuck-ups.  They can be executed.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #927 on: October 25, 2011, 12:13:59 am »

On a significantly lighter note:

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: October 25, 2011, 12:14:54 am »

The idea behind that is potentially violent crime> non-violent crime. Scamming someone carries less sentence than robbing them, as far as I know.
The homeless man was unarmed during the robbery, scamming the teller into handing over money. He only took what he needed ($100). After that, he said he was sorry and surrendered to the police. The CEO scammed many people out of $3 Billion, didn't apologize, and defended himself in court instead of surrendering.

Armed robbery is weighted a lot heavier than unarmed robberies like this.

(But yeah, racism probably had something to do with it.)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: October 25, 2011, 12:15:25 am »

Of course, this implies that no one gets hurt in a scam, which is false.  It still qualifies as a violent crime, in my opinion... especially if you consider that the former type of crime and its relatively light punishment is part of the problem that leads to the latter type of crime, being motivated by desperation...

Our culture really needs to think of the word "violence" in broader terms, since there are so many forms of violence that are legitimized in our society, but the indirect types don't get treated as such...
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 297