Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 297

Author Topic: Occupying Wallstreet  (Read 290227 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Occupying Wallstreet
« Reply #900 on: October 24, 2011, 08:40:56 pm »

Y'know, it's interesting. I think the irony doubles back to making perfect sense, almost. Although since Occupy is explicitly peaceful, that bit about killing all the rich isn't really applicable. But the joke is basically that Che's image was hijacked by corporations that wanted to make a profit off of selling "rebellious" merchandise, and now the shirts in question are being worn as part of a protest against those very companies. If any such shirts are, and I wouldn't be surprised. Any movement attracts people who don't think things beyond the most superficial level, which is (presumably) why those shirts sold well in the first place.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: October 24, 2011, 08:47:58 pm »

Che Guevara is the worst hipster icon. Nothing else even compares.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: October 24, 2011, 08:53:20 pm »

Making it perfect.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: October 24, 2011, 08:54:42 pm »

Y'know, it's interesting. I think the irony doubles back to making perfect sense, almost. Although since Occupy is explicitly peaceful, that bit about killing all the rich isn't really applicable. But the joke is basically that Che's image was hijacked by corporations that wanted to make a profit off of selling "rebellious" merchandise, and now the shirts in question are being worn as part of a protest against those very companies. If any such shirts are, and I wouldn't be surprised. Any movement attracts people who don't think things beyond the most superficial level, which is (presumably) why those shirts sold well in the first place.

Huh, yeah that actually is a lot of irony piled on top of more irony.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: October 24, 2011, 09:04:51 pm »

I wonder how many people are wearing Che Guevara T-shirts to occupy protests... Yeknow, just to double up the irony.

Didn't even occur to me.  Y'know, the whole time this "Occupy" business has been going, I haven't seen Che's machine-stamped mug anywhere, in any picture, or even mentioned.  I think the people going to these things finally figured out the huge joke being played on them.

Guy Fawkes, that one's still catching up on them.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: October 24, 2011, 09:07:06 pm »

Anyone want some stocks in my Guy Hawkes mask and shirt company? I'm thinking Occupy Inc.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: October 24, 2011, 09:09:44 pm »

Guy Hawkes

Best misspelling ever.  That's the perfect name for your company.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: October 24, 2011, 09:13:48 pm »

At least Che Guevara was vaguely left wing though, as opposed to a Catholic fundamentalist.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: October 24, 2011, 09:14:33 pm »

Guy Hawkes

So I'll put you down for a thousand?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: October 24, 2011, 09:17:54 pm »

At least Che Guevara was vaguely left wing though, as opposed to a Catholic fundamentalist.
Vaguely? He was a revolutionary communist. That's about as left-wing as you get.

I do still wonder what would have happened had Guy Fawkes succeeded in exploding the hell out of Parliament and James I. His dreams of a Catholic theocracy in England almost certainly would have fell through, but the other historical consequences would be far reaching indeed.

Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: October 24, 2011, 09:22:44 pm »

Guy Hawkes

So I'll put you down for a thousand?
So far, I'd say 8 box cars - several hundred thousand, at least.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: October 24, 2011, 09:28:35 pm »

Got that.

So I found this accounting firm; Madoc, Lehman & Lehman. Sounds legit, I think I'll let them handle our books.

When can I expect your cheques?

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: October 24, 2011, 09:32:55 pm »

I triggered them 35 minutes ago.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: October 24, 2011, 09:45:46 pm »

Personally, I'm really tired of the jokes about Che Guevara T-Shirts.  Yeah, it's ironic and such... but people act as if anyone who admires the guy as a historical figure is stupid, just because his image got hi-jacked by merchandise...

Btw, I don't idolize him, but I do respect him.  Especially since I've read the personal accounts of his final hours and they're quite a bit more flattering than this.

and then in the end he hid behind a tree while the last of his troops were killed.

And really... it's just a snarky comment that's been done to death.  Every time I've ever heard mention of the guy's name since I was like 14, someone has to chime in with the obligatory "hey isn't it ironic how..."
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 09:50:18 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: October 24, 2011, 09:55:04 pm »

That's all true, I suppose. The people I aim to make fun of are not people who respect Che Guevara (heck, to an extent, I'm one of them), but rather the people who don't even know who he was but buy merchandise his picture appears on because they associate the image (not the man) with rebellion against authority and nonconformity, because of marketing. Possibly I shouldn't make fun of them at all, but it's such a relatively harmless act of hypocrisy I'm pointing out that it just seems almost necessary. And possibly I overestimate the number that exist, especially today (when Che Guevara jokes are a played-out meme), and am falling into a trap myself.

Still, I'm not tired of them yet, so pretty much all I'll be apologizing for here is the annoyance I've contributed to. That's a serious apology, by the way, not an attempt at "Well, I'm sorry you're offended..." It may not be of great magnitude in my eyes, but the fault does, indeed, lie with me (and others who've been part of the joke).
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 297