Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 297

Author Topic: Occupying Wallstreet  (Read 290203 times)

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Occupying Wallstreet
« Reply #885 on: October 22, 2011, 11:50:42 pm »

That's true. No excuse to not let them go back once the lights are installed.  If things could be discussed more reasonably, I'm sure a compromise could be worked out, but protests happen because someone isn't being reasonable.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Reiina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: October 24, 2011, 05:19:01 pm »

TED talk discussing how inequality harms society, even for its wealthiest members.

Very interesting talk.
Some comments makes me despair in humanity though, like that "redistribution is theft" one...

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: October 24, 2011, 07:47:27 pm »

Though he claims that correlation does not equal causation, he talks as though he "knows" that income inequality causes all these problems.

I propose that the income inequality is a symptom of a much larger societal trait, namely conformism vs individualism. Conformist societies truly want (or are severely pressured to) sacrifice their benefits to help others, even those they do not know personally. In return, they must snuff out or suppress their individual preferences, ideas, and ideals. Individualist societies are the opposite, praising the ideas and efforts of the individual, but not guaranteeing that some won't fall off the bottom while the elite, either through inheritance or their own merit, will rise far above the rest.

I'm sure there are many more factors involved as well, but I have no intention of rambling on about them forever. Just thought I'd discuss one of the bigger ones. Maybe some other time.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: October 24, 2011, 07:50:54 pm »

Are you suggesting Sweden is a conformist society? I could be wrong, but my experience suggests otherwise.

Edit: Also, the UK, which tends to be on the higher inequality end, seems to me to be somewhat more conformist than a lot of the other examples. Barring Japan, of course. Japanese culture is a bit of an outlier there compared to the others given, which are primarily Euro-American.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 07:53:02 pm by sluissa »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: October 24, 2011, 08:04:20 pm »

Apparently, singing that "Save Zuccotti Park" petition from MoveOn.org got me signed up for a local Occupy coordination meeting tomorrow night.  I'll take notes and see what happens.

Maybe I'll wear my Cesar Chavez shirt, but probably not.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: October 24, 2011, 08:12:58 pm »

I have many American dollars (about 7) that I will give you to wear a Ron Paul t-shirt to it.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: October 24, 2011, 08:17:51 pm »

I have many American dollars (about 7) that I will give you to wear a Ron Paul t-shirt to it.

There's no amount of money you could pay me for that.  Although my "Biden: This Is A Big Fucking Deal" shirt wouldn't be bad.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #893 on: October 24, 2011, 08:18:24 pm »

There's no amount of money you could pay me for that.  Although my "Big Fucking Deal - Biden" shirt wouldn't be bad.
Wear a Bachmann shirt to it then :P

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: October 24, 2011, 08:21:17 pm »

I'd much rather a Ron Paul shirt. He's markedly less crazy. Read as: he's crazy the same way I am.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: October 24, 2011, 08:22:14 pm »

Crazy like a fox? </no>
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: October 24, 2011, 08:26:55 pm »

Libertarian. We're crazy enough to advocate policies that we see as morally just even though they will most likely be exploited and used to fuck over everyone.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: October 24, 2011, 08:33:15 pm »

I wonder how many people are wearing Che Guevara T-shirts to occupy protests... Yeknow, just to double up the irony.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: October 24, 2011, 08:37:07 pm »

Che Guevara killed all the rich people in Cuba, or at least helped to, whats ironic about that?

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: October 24, 2011, 08:38:38 pm »

I need to wikipedia him. I know he was part of the Cuban (?) revolution with Castro, or one of the countries, and then in the end he hid behind a tree while the last of his troops were killed. Or something. How do I not know this stuff? I nailed the early Roman architecture question in Trivial Pursuit, but I don't know who Che Guevara was... Wow.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 297