Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 289 290 [291] 292 293 ... 297

Author Topic: Occupying Wallstreet  (Read 288784 times)

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Occupying Wallstreet
« Reply #4350 on: June 18, 2013, 05:03:09 pm »

If people work less, their productivity goes down.
This... isn't actually true, or at least not necessarily true. Overworking is a thing and tends to lower productivity. Further, there's a very definite and very strong "diminishing returns" to extra man hours, especially in heavily automated workplaces. After a point you just don't get more out of extra hours than it costs to have them. To boot, sometimes productivity is actually a bad thing -- you might be able to produce a trillion gizmos, but if the gizmo market is only buying up five hundred or so...

Also, if you're talking the states, while we are still one of the strongest manufacturing economies in the world, industrial production and exports hasn't been then backbone of our economy for years -- the states is a service economy now, full stop. We do some manufacturing on the side, but that's not our primary money maker, hasn't been for a while, and shows every sign of being even less so going into the future. Things are changing, y'know?
2 part-time jobs are costlier to the employer than 1 full-time worker. It's not the wages, it's the non-labour costs for social security, insurances, retirement funds. Talking about qualified workers, not low-paid low wage jobs.

No, I was talking about Germany. Service economy is important here too, but manufacturing and exports are still the biggest thing here.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4351 on: June 18, 2013, 05:09:38 pm »

Actually, service accounts for around 70% of the economy. Germany has more manufacturing than your average EU country, but its still a service economy.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4352 on: June 18, 2013, 05:23:25 pm »

Ok, but lots of services (logistics, IT etc) depend on the manufacturers directly or indirectly.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4353 on: June 18, 2013, 07:03:39 pm »

That's the case with all services, everywhere.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4354 on: June 18, 2013, 11:38:49 pm »

Automation is a wonderful thing. It has enabled us to produce more food, collect and treat water more efficiently etc.

Imagine if we could completely automate the growing of food, there should be enough food for everyone regardless of their working status...

The problem isn't only that they can't save enough to do something else, but that they have mortgages and families and that they don't want to spent years getting the qualifications for another, more interesting job.

Increased automation should make things like constructing houses cheaper. So more automation everywhere should means less work, less money and cheaper stuff.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4355 on: June 18, 2013, 11:57:43 pm »

Automation is a wonderful thing. It has enabled us to produce more food, collect and treat water more efficiently etc.

Imagine if we could completely automate the growing of food, there should be enough food for everyone regardless of their working status...

It should be a wonderful thing.  We just haven't learned how to allow ourselves to appreciate it yet, as a society.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.  We need to rethink the way our economy assigns value.  Basing it on scarcity doesn't work anymore.  There are more human beings than there is work to do.  There is more food and shelter than human beings.  Yet we only allow human beings that work to have access to food and shelter.  It's completely illogical, impractical, immoral, and broken, and it's only going to get worse.  We're clinging to models of organization for society that were developed for circumstances that no longer exist, and it's becoming a serious obstacle to progress in further improving our circumstances and achieving our potentials.  A universally guaranteed base income would be a major source of relief, and I fully support it.  However, I wouldn't call it a solution.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4356 on: June 19, 2013, 04:02:45 am »

* Dutchling just hopes and assumes stuff will automatically get better and ignores all problems in the world.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4357 on: June 19, 2013, 05:28:18 am »

Actually, recently, manufacturing has picked up again, but its not more people managing automated lines than hammering in 100 bolts a hour. Plus high tech industry is becoming a very important thing now, due to the large amounts of skilled workers.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4358 on: June 19, 2013, 05:56:16 am »

Well, full automation is not coming anytime soon. I know a guy who works in a factory producing small engine components. He is basically programming and supervising machines. It is still assembly line work in a way, it just requires more skills and special training. The company has thousands of people working there and is still expanding, at least as long as the car industry hasn't collapsed yet.
It's the low qualification jobs in these factories that get automated or moved to China, jobs that were mostly done by low qualified people, often middle-aged women working part-time, that can't find other jobs that pay as well.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4359 on: June 19, 2013, 10:33:25 am »

I'd repeat my opinion on increasing automation, but I'm sure everyone here already knows it.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4360 on: June 19, 2013, 10:39:17 am »

Who are you, again?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4361 on: June 19, 2013, 10:40:16 am »

Who are you, again?
He's the slayer of lag, obviously.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4362 on: July 26, 2013, 02:47:32 am »

Spoiler: remember this guy? (click to show/hide)

Update

Summary:  He got 8 months of paid vacation while under investigation.  The investigation found that he did a whole bunch of things horribly wrong, but still somehow came to the ultimate conclusion that his actions were appropriate.  He was fired anyway.  Now he's trying to claim psychological disability as resulting from the experience.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4363 on: July 26, 2013, 03:27:17 am »

Pretty much.  And I can understand he probably went through quite a bit after becoming internet infamous.  The problem I have with it is you don't see any of his victims claiming they're too psychologically damaged to work for the rest of their lives after the treatment he gave them, which was in some cases life-threatening.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4364 on: July 26, 2013, 03:27:47 am »

The only good part of that is that he was fired.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: 1 ... 289 290 [291] 292 293 ... 297