Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 287 288 [289] 290 291 ... 297

Author Topic: Occupying Wallstreet  (Read 288818 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Occupying Wallstreet
« Reply #4320 on: June 16, 2013, 05:29:58 pm »

Really? No comment on my wheelchair analogy?

I thought it was great. ._.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4321 on: June 16, 2013, 05:49:15 pm »

Really? No comment on my wheelchair analogy?

I thought it was great. ._.

I thought it was quite accurate.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #4322 on: June 17, 2013, 09:44:05 am »

a flat tax can be fair... but not at the current  level of welfare. if every household had poverty level stipend from the govornment and free universal welfare? i think that a flat tax could be fair. but that would require a flat tax around 50%, which would give the average flat tax supporter an aneurism.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4323 on: June 17, 2013, 10:14:53 am »

Progressive taxation is unfair, but the people who are being discriminated against by progressive taxation also received all the benefits of an unfair inheritance system. If everyone started with the same amount than no matter then the world would be fair and progressive taxation would be unfair, but in this world some people are born to rich parents and others are born to poor parents, and it is only fair to have the children of the rich pay more than the children of the poor after they grow up. The rich is inevitably made up mostly of the children of rich people, so taxing the rich is a proxy for taxing their children. Also by definition the children they would have would be children of the rich.

After all the rich kids went to good schools got a good education got all the benefits of their parents income, which is much larger than that of the poor.

This is just my opinion but I think if there was a hypothetical world where everyone started out equal in every generation than even a percentage based taxation (ex. flat 10%) would be unfair there. Everyone started out equally, so they should all have to pay in an equal amount to provide equal benefits to all, otherwise it would be unfair. The only real fair tax in this hypothetical world would be a head tax.
you can't just go up to people and get laid.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4324 on: June 17, 2013, 10:31:29 am »

Even if everyone started equally, wealth would not depend on merits alone. Some guy may make a really lucky investment, or win at the lottery. Some other guy may get sick and drown in health debt.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4325 on: June 17, 2013, 02:53:15 pm »

Is why I love the idea of a basic income guarantee. You get enough money every year to survive (and possibly invest in a business or education) and everything else you want you have to contribute something and make money off it.

Equality of opportunity, rather than equality of end result. You don't handicap the fast racers to make sure everyone finishes at the same time, but you DO make them all start at the same line.

I've been hovering around 10k a year or so, which is about 300 billion up here annually, and 3 trillion in America for every man, woman and child. If you make it taxable income, then it's actually a good deal less than 300/3 billion/trillion. Would also be able to get rid of food-stamps and other welfare and their accompanying bureaucracy, though maybe not disability benefits.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 02:56:46 pm by Descan »
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4326 on: June 17, 2013, 03:42:05 pm »

10k isn't enough for a lot of places. I'd say just make food staples, basic housing, and education free, period.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4327 on: June 17, 2013, 03:55:43 pm »

It's easier to hand out money than have the government manage public housing and staples for everyone.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4328 on: June 17, 2013, 04:13:01 pm »

But also potentially a lot less effective.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4329 on: June 17, 2013, 04:18:06 pm »

People tend to be pretty smart about what they need to survive. You don't need to hold their hands and say "Okay, now you need food, electricity, and rent!" They can figure that out on their own.

With pure money, you give people the freedom to tailor to what they need, something you can't do with vouchers.

Plus, with pure money, you save on bureaucracy because you can just do it through the IRS.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4330 on: June 17, 2013, 04:24:12 pm »

People tend to be pretty smart about what they need to survive. You don't need to hold their hands and say "Okay, now you need food, electricity, and rent!" They can figure that out on their own.

With pure money, you give people the freedom to tailor to what they need, something you can't do with vouchers.

Plus, with pure money, you save on bureaucracy because you can just do it through the IRS.
Then there are the few people who find ways to spend most of it on 'vices' like gambling, drink, hallucinations.  And then everyone else hates it now cause of those few people.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4331 on: June 17, 2013, 04:26:21 pm »

Except with an universal income, you don't get the feeling those guys are ripping you off, because they only get the same things you do.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4332 on: June 17, 2013, 05:30:41 pm »

But also potentially a lot less effective.

There's not much more less effective than government handouts. The problem is that the government has to either spend a lot of resources figuring out what's best for you in particular... or they need to develop a one size fits all solution that is practically guaranteed to cost more for less value than you really deserve.

There's not much more efficient than letting the people with the relevant knowledge make the decisions (though helping to give them more knowledge is often a wise investment)

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4333 on: June 17, 2013, 06:05:19 pm »

But just giving people money still leaves gaps. Not everyone is a rational, competent individual. Anything that's necessary for survival should be available regardless of how incredibly idiotic someone is. Give people money, and you're going to get a small group who blow it on themselves, and their dependents get screwed.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4334 on: June 17, 2013, 06:26:08 pm »

Well, their dependents should get their own money. In the case of kids, well, that's why you get social workers, like we do now.

Pages: 1 ... 287 288 [289] 290 291 ... 297