Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 274 275 [276] 277 278 ... 297

Author Topic: Occupying Wallstreet  (Read 289172 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Occupying Wallstreet
« Reply #4125 on: November 26, 2012, 11:10:47 am »

I'm amazed they actually called it the patriot act. A deliberately attention grabbing name.
That is how politics works. 
You are not a patriot if you vote against the patriot act.  You are actually a traitor to the nation if you do vote against the patriot act.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4126 on: November 26, 2012, 11:21:24 am »

You mistake me. As evidenced by this board, you 'Mericans don't always live in Texas. I suppose there's a certain degree to which you couldn't hide something like this for long, but I'm surprised it's not off the books, or at least called something more subtle then the patriot act. Sounds like a distraction to me, and then some.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4127 on: November 26, 2012, 12:59:18 pm »

The name of the act is definitely made to be a vehicle for distraction.  It allows its proponents to make stupid accusations, so yea, they can muddle the actual facts by being loud and accusatory... especially after the scathing from 9/11.
And the far less informed constituents can and will believe that the patriot act is a good thing.  Well, some believe it a good thing anyway, knowing what it can do.

A satire game based on being Congresspeople...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4128 on: November 28, 2012, 05:43:36 pm »

A satire game based on being Congresspeople...
I love this thing.
Those "half-hearted punditry" lines are beautiful.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4129 on: November 30, 2012, 06:59:54 pm »

There was a good article outlining the Occupy Sandy relief effort a friend of mine just linked:
http://prospect.org/article/how-sandy-saved-occupy
Spoiler: Excerpt (click to show/hide)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4130 on: November 30, 2012, 07:25:31 pm »

VIDEO: Bloomberg Praises Occupy Sandy During Surprise Trip to the Rockaways

Well... I suppose it's an improvement over a year ago...
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4131 on: November 30, 2012, 08:11:19 pm »

Thinking about it... Occupy Sandy is a perfect expression of what Occupy is all about.  It's not just the fact that they're addressing inequalities, but how they're doing it. 

One of the main ideas behind OWS is that society needs to be deeply re-thought.  This may not be a universal sentiment, but it is a widespread one.  This is part of the reason remaining leaderless has been such a big deal -- to practice and demonstrate de-centralized organization as an ideal.  It just didn't have anything to demonstrate that most people could relate to at a glance, and it had opposed forces weighed against it with vast resources.

Now these relief efforts, and Occupy Sandy is not the first, gives the movement an opportunity to put decentralized organization into action in a way that directly, positively effects people.  They've shown that all it takes to make a huge difference (comparable to centralized institutions with more resources, infrastructure, and practice) is strong, technologically enabled social networking and the willingness to quickly transform mutual agreement into action.  I believe and hope that it's only a matter of time before initiatives like these earn recognition outside of ideology, and the methodology begins to take root more broadly throughout society.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4133 on: December 03, 2012, 12:35:02 am »

Wow. I know kneejerk reactions against occupy are pretty par for the course at the moment, but come on.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4134 on: December 03, 2012, 12:37:06 am »

I haven't been paying attention to this because honestly at first they simply weren't doing anything useful. After the news of their actual activism with Occupy Sandy however I think I might keep an eye on these protesters to see if they do something else that is useful.

There was a bit of an Occupy movement here where I live last year by the way. Half-a-dozen college students camping out in the park. It lasted for a few weeks and then nothing was ever heard of them again. Seeing as I live near a party university I suppose they decided their youthful years could be better spent having fun when they don't know the first thing about activism.

God damnit I hate my generation, or at least the select individuals that make it seem like some kind of lolcow. However I hope this Occupy movement does something good in the near future. Either way, I'll keep an eye on it I suppose.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4135 on: December 03, 2012, 12:43:54 am »

Ghandi and Martin Luther King didn't do anything "useful" either ...

The only difference is that "Occupy" doesn't have a clear figurehead to go out and make epic speeches.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4136 on: December 03, 2012, 12:53:50 am »

More info

God damnit I hate my generation, or at least the select individuals that make it seem like some kind of lolcow. However I hope this Occupy movement does something good in the near future. Either way, I'll keep an eye on it I suppose.

Occupy has already done a lot of good things.  They're just not as visible, concrete, or ideologically transcendent as the hurricane relief efforts.  Mainstream media exclusively focused on the encampments and street marches, and most people who never bother to dig deeper than a passing glance at tv news assume that the movement has died out.  The movement is much broader than that.

There are foreclosure resistance efforts across the country organized under the Occupy banner, that provide legal aid, sit-ins, etc to stall or prevent foreclosures.
They've considerably brightened the spotlight on global corruption and inequality, to the point that it's finally being acknowledged in mainstream media and politics.  It was barely acknowledged previously.
It prompted serious grassroots discussions about social change (necessity/variety/strategy).
It's revitalized awareness and networking for activism for younger generations, which was almost non-existent previously.
They've provided relief for the homeless.
They're involved in resistance to the Keystone XL pipeline, which is a very important fight.
They're involved in multiple worker's rights missions, such as Occupy Walmart.
I know there's more, but that's what I can rattle off quickly off the top of my head.

Oh, yeah... how could I forget the awesome debt elimination scheme recently put together by Occupy founders?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 01:25:51 am by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4137 on: December 03, 2012, 03:40:06 am »

Also, dei, you only got the right to complain about your generation if you move your own arse. (Not saying you don't, I don't know the first thing about you.)

Deep in myself I know that the opportunity to feel smugly superior play a really minor if not insignificant part in my motivation to do activism. That and the fact that I want to be able to face my children.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4138 on: December 03, 2012, 02:22:27 pm »

This is one of the bravest protest actions I've ever seen.

The only comparable I can think of right now is when four activists climbed a construction crane to hang a giant banner from 300 ft, kicking off the Battle in Seattle.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4139 on: December 03, 2012, 04:20:56 pm »

As a random aside, I thought it would be bigger.

As a less random aside, I don't get the pipeline hate. But honestly I think that any amount of discussion on it wouldn't change either of our positions on it, so i'm not going to come back here and discuss it except to say that I respect that you have your opinion on it, but you should also remain aware that there's probably a large section of the world who doesn't care or thinks that it is a fine thing.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 04:22:57 pm by sneakey pete »
Magma is overrated.
Pages: 1 ... 274 275 [276] 277 278 ... 297