Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 258 259 [260] 261 262 ... 297

Author Topic: Occupying Wallstreet  (Read 289491 times)

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Occupying Wallstreet
« Reply #3885 on: October 05, 2012, 05:17:38 pm »

what.  the.  fuck.

Ok... I've seen many stories of brazen callousness from police.  I've seen them plainly execute people, while watched by dozens of cameras, and then claim it was an accident.  I've seen them deal out grievous injuries to people and then lock them up for several hours, while turning away anyone who attempts to offer emergency medical assistance.  I've seen them leave criminals convicted of minor crimes out in the Arizona sun until they burn to death.  I've seen them bowl over a group of motorcyclists while driving drunk on the job, and then get bailed out by their friends mishandling all the evidence to be inadmissible in court... and then all those who mishandled the event get promoted.

This is a new low.

And there is absolutely no way this can be seen as the bad behavior of a corrupt minority.  This is a clear message from the institution.

There needs to be more rioting in the streets. How does this shit go without reprisal?

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3886 on: October 05, 2012, 05:24:32 pm »

I'm trying to imagine what the department's press releases are going to sound like...

"We want to express our deepest apologies to the criminal's family for this severe tragedy.  This event is under department investigation, and I assure you that an internal review will find it was handled in the most professional manner possible.  You must understand that sometimes officers are faced with emergency situations in the course of serving and protecting the public, where they must make split second decisions while fearing for their own safety.  Until you are met with a paving stone thief for the first time, you cannot judge.  Training cannot even prepare you.  Meanwhile, the family of the victim owes a severe debt to society for raising a wreckless criminal, and denting our I mean this bank do- err taxpayer funded vehicle by extension."
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3887 on: October 05, 2012, 05:42:36 pm »

First I wanted to post something sarcastic, like that it was the victim who charged into the police car, killing himself. Then I finished reading and realized that this is actually what NYPD claims.

Holy fucking shit on a stick. They don't even care about a pretense, do they?

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3888 on: October 05, 2012, 06:14:50 pm »

This is exactly what went through my mind when I read the article:
Spoiler: big image (click to show/hide)
I really can't think of a way for a human to somehow run fast enough into a car that would kill himself instantly and do over $700 damage to the car.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3889 on: October 05, 2012, 06:26:58 pm »

Obviously, you do not understand the incredible powers of a Brick Thief.
Love, scriver~

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #3890 on: October 05, 2012, 06:38:28 pm »

I think they're going with the "Jump in front of a moving vehicle" scenario.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3891 on: October 09, 2012, 08:15:14 am »

So there's 100,000 protesters on the streets of Athens right now.  If I weren't going to bed soon, I'd be looking for some streams.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3892 on: October 09, 2012, 09:00:12 am »

Greece is in a bad way. You've got Anarchists who want to tear down the whole government to replace it with [VARIABLE UNDEFINED], Communists who want to take over the government to institute radical changes, and Fascists who own a decent portion of the police force.

And the moderates are stuck in the middle of it and don't care for each other either.

It's the perfect storm for the fall of a democratic state.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3893 on: October 09, 2012, 02:11:12 pm »

First I wanted to post something sarcastic, like that it was the victim who charged into the police car, killing himself. Then I finished reading and realized that this is actually what NYPD claims.

"Leaked surveillance footage" supposedly showed that, while fleeing, the man did turn and start running toward the oncoming vehicle. I looked for a source, but had no luck. Take it as you will. In any case, it's tragic in the first place, and callous on the part of the NYPD.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #3894 on: October 09, 2012, 03:29:35 pm »

Optimal strategy: "The clerk who drafted and mailed that letter has been fired, and we sincerely apologize for the actions of a thoughtless individual taken in the name of the NYPD. We've begun an investigation into methods we can use to prevent errors such as this from occurring in the future, and we are sorry for the hardship that this mistake has caused for the bereaved."

Not gonna happen. If it does, it's still a steaming pile of... well, I'll let you fill in the noun, you'll probably do a better job.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3895 on: October 09, 2012, 04:21:21 pm »

"Leaked surveillance footage" supposedly showed that, while fleeing, the man did turn and start running toward the oncoming vehicle. I looked for a source, but had no luck. Take it as you will. In any case, it's tragic in the first place, and callous on the part of the NYPD.

I saw the user comment stating this as well, and my searching didn't turn up any such leaked footage either.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3896 on: October 09, 2012, 04:54:48 pm »

Greece is in a bad way. You've got Anarchists who want to tear down the whole government to replace it with [VARIABLE UNDEFINED], Communists who want to take over the government to institute radical changes, and Fascists who own a decent portion of the police force.

Actually, from what I gather from other news (mostly relevant threads on SA), the fascists seem to be closest to their goal. Saying that they own the police seems to be true. And, unfortunately, it seems that they have more a lot of support in the bulk of the population either.

Edit: Apparently SYRIZA has more - I misread that part. Good to know.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 04:56:19 pm by Gantolandon »

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3897 on: October 09, 2012, 05:01:35 pm »

Greece:the next evil empire? (Lol probably not)

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3898 on: October 09, 2012, 05:05:31 pm »

Not possible. Greece doesn't have an eight of the potential Weimar Germany had and it borders one of the most powerful NATO members. Even with Golden Dawn pretty much saying like that, Greece as the next Nazi Evil Empire is out of question. The real danger is that their victory may empower the neonazis in other European countries.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3899 on: October 09, 2012, 05:12:00 pm »

I know police have done some nasty things in Britain too, but not nearly in the same league as America, as far as I'm aware.

And there are... many problems with the police here.  Training, cultural divides, corruption, prejudice, vigilantism, and cowardice.

Cowardice:  The whole point of police is to be a group of people that is trained, equipped, and willing to take risks on behalf of the public.  The current trend is to instead put the public at risk for their own safety whenever possible.  I think this is the main reason innocents/minor criminals get shot by police all the damn time.  "The glint of metal from their wedding ring made me suspect for a split second that they might be carrying a weapon!" is not a proper excuse for sudden deadly force.  When they believe that it is, they're making themselves just another danger to innocent people in addition to crime.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Pages: 1 ... 258 259 [260] 261 262 ... 297