Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 255 256 [257] 258 259 ... 297

Author Topic: Occupying Wallstreet  (Read 289529 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Occupying Wallstreet
« Reply #3840 on: September 18, 2012, 04:45:54 pm »

Police agent provocateurs are a simple fact in the world of activism.  They're in effect at every major protest.  This isn't conspiracy theory.  They've been forced to admit to these activities in court repeatedly over the last 15 years, and caught on video trying to initiate assaults against police with the entire group of genuine activists opposing them.  They've been discovered dozens of times among Occupy chapters.  Some quick googling easily turns up a lot of material on the subject.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #3841 on: September 19, 2012, 02:04:24 pm »

They might want to get them out of the camps temporarily at least for legal reasons... If you squat on property long enough without getting kicked out, it might become your legal residence, and then they would have to go through 'eviction' processes instead of trespassing processes...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easement#Easement_by_prescription
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adverse_possession#Squatter.27s_rights
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3842 on: September 19, 2012, 02:05:57 pm »

That requires them not trying to stop you. If they've tried to have you removed or prevented, even if they failed, it doesn't apply.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3843 on: September 21, 2012, 04:01:22 am »

We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3844 on: September 21, 2012, 10:23:47 am »

This amuses me.

Then one man aggressively confronted the sign-holder: "Who is paying you? Tell me who is paying you!"

Hahaha.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3845 on: September 21, 2012, 10:37:31 am »

Then one man aggressively confronted the sign-holder: "Who is paying you? Tell me who is paying you!"
Hahaha.

Ah projection... don't ever leave us.

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3846 on: September 21, 2012, 05:02:44 pm »

Couldn't find a more relevant thread.

Perhaps many of you may know who Lech Wałęsa is. For those who don't: he is the former chairman of Solidarity, independent trade union which was one of the major players on the Polish scene in the 80s. He was the informal leader of opposition side during 1989 Round Table talks, which caused first semi-free elections in Poland after the Second World War and - indirectly - was one of the causes of the Soviet Union's dissolution. He also became the president of Poland from 1990-1995 (when most of the transformation to free-market economy took place) and won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1983. So, basically... a hero, right?

Well, after losing elections in 1995 (mostly because of painful transformation and the fact that he kept insulting his main opponent), he left active politics. Mainstream media, however, treated him as an authority figure - blunt and boorish, but noble. He gained some popularity with criticizing (then terribly unpopular) president, Lech Kaczyński.

The first shock came several months ago. See, Solidarity still exists, but its reputation during these years was slightly tarnished because of stagnation and tendency of the individual chairmans to support religious right. Its new leader, however, tried to return to its roots. When the current liberal government were passing the reform, which will extend retirement from to 67 years, it was this particular union which protested the most. When Sejm (the House) approved the act, Solidarity activists surrounded the building and for two hours didn't let anyone out.

It was mostly received positively by most parts of the Polish society, because hating current government is a long tradition in this country. The deputies, however, were outraged and many journalists seemed to be dissatisfied that the police didn't react. Then, during an interview, Wałęsa outran them all when he expressed his opinion that the protesters should have been beaten up. He used the word "pałować", which in Polish means specifically "beat up with police batons". Yeah, we have a separate word for that.

It caused a minor consternation, because even the most ardent supporters of the current government couldn't grok the former Solidarity leader and Nobel Peace Prize laureate urging the police to beat up mostly peaceful protesters. He wasn't invited for some time, but today I heard him on the radio again.

I almost choked with coffee when he expressed his opinion that problems in Russia are caused by demonstrations. Because, you know, when there are demonstrations, people are getting beaten up, so there shouldn't be any. Yeah, there was a time for that, but it was earlier - and now there is another era of "wisdom and intellect". The poor reporter, who was the same one, who interviewed him several months before, tried to protest faintly. I think she seriously pondered if the former president is on drugs, or maybe he is just possessed by Stalin's restless spirit.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 06:58:51 pm by Gantolandon »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3847 on: September 21, 2012, 05:40:59 pm »

That's a pretty sad story.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #3848 on: September 21, 2012, 07:06:12 pm »

Young liberals turn into old conservatives without changing a single opinion.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3849 on: September 24, 2012, 04:29:50 pm »

We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3851 on: September 24, 2012, 05:34:05 pm »

What. The. Hell.

That is beyond any explanation. Why would anyone do that?
Love, scriver~

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3852 on: September 24, 2012, 05:38:33 pm »

I don't know either. Some people's logic is completely alien to me.

EDIT: Extra depressing for me, is the reason why the guy in Salmon's link was depressed in the first place:
"We told him not to worry, we'd take care of him" Jackson's mother, Lorna Francis, said in an interview. "But my son, the way I brought him up, he didn't want to depend on anybody."
Dude thought himself a failure because he couldn't do everything himself. Why do people think that? :(
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 05:40:29 pm by kaijyuu »
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3853 on: September 24, 2012, 06:00:21 pm »

What. The. Hell.

That is beyond any explanation. Why would anyone do that?
Super aggressive guys with guns and immunity to prosecution.

Frankly, it's a surprise they don't murder people more often.
Dude thought himself a failure because he couldn't do everything himself. Why do people think that? :(
Welcome to the dark side of American culture.

Most people, but men more so, are culturally expected to be able to take care of their own lives entirely and without placing a burden upon anyone else. Especially taxpayers, because taxpayers are as close to leeching off of everyone as you can get. This is why things like welfare are so stigmatized. Culturally speaking, you have failed if you can't do everything yourself in America, because you have failed to be a totally self-reliant individual. Imposition upon another person's life to supplement your own becomes not just a voluntary option but a total necessity, and that is the biggest thing you can do wrong in American society.

I wouldn't trade the independence that American society values, but it can turn very bad.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 06:02:34 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3854 on: September 27, 2012, 11:32:30 am »

Interesting read:  http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/the-plot-against-occupy-20120926

FBI sort of encouraged and helped these guys towards terrorism, and then arrested them for it.
Pages: 1 ... 255 256 [257] 258 259 ... 297