Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 248 249 [250] 251 252 ... 297

Author Topic: Occupying Wallstreet  (Read 289677 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Occupying Wallstreet
« Reply #3735 on: September 10, 2012, 11:40:46 am »

I see... so there is no possible compromise is there?  What about a bipartisan resolution of mutual disagreement?  We can at least agree to that could we not?
"Can we all just agree that I am correct?"
Yes, I'm correct in the assumption that we cannot agree with the matter at hand.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3736 on: September 10, 2012, 11:51:13 am »

@Mictlantecuhtli -

1. I did not say one should actively try to overreact in ways that'll scare the kid as much as possible (nor did I ever say that inducing phobias was a good thing, that's a pure twisting of ky words, thank you very much). I simply stated that the natural reaction to having your kid in danger would be enough to teach him to be cautious. No beatings required.

2. I do not have "beating senseless" as a baseline. I simply say that there only difference between spanking and beating is severity; they are both abuse.

3. It's nice that you ignore Shinotsa's post, too. Do you know better than scientists as well as people who doesn't have kids?

Moving the goalposts doesn't make your opinion any less insane. I simply said spanking a child is necessary sometimes, you referring to it as if it's a beating only goes to show the variance of your opinion to the real life equals.

I have nothing to defend here, it's just ridiculous opinions like yours and scriver's that produces the people in our society that think they're above any sort of punishment because their parents were too weak spined to be firm when required. Sorry, I'm not going any further with this and you trying to egg me on doesn't work.

4. People in Sweden does, as a rule, not beat their kids, and are punished when it's found out that they do. We do not think ourselves any more above the rest than people do in the rest of the world. In fact, your statement is such a ridiculous falsehood, I don't know why I'm replying to it. It would be the same as if I argued that kids that are beaten always grow up to be ruthless thugs who never respect anything than sheer physical strength. But I don't. Because that kind of statement is just the most unconstructive of generalisations. It is a bit ironic that you would make such a stereotype just after telling me off for "having a black and white worldview", though.

Oh, and an apology for the insult against both me and my parents would be nice.
Love, scriver~

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3737 on: September 10, 2012, 12:01:17 pm »

I'm not sure how you can define spanking as not being beating.
I know when you're grasping at threads when you throw semantics into your fights, heh.

Practically every organization involved with child psychology recognizes the link between corporal punishment and a myriad of issues resultant from it, including behavioral problems, psychological trauma, and acceptance of violence as a solution to one's problems. That these traits are more exaggerated from being whipped with power cables than being spanked does not justify the latter.

The latter is justified in situations when you have a person who does not care about being put in time out, or if they're already in the mindset when a simple talking-to doesn't work to change the bad behaviour. You spank a child when they repeatedly break a rule you set, or if it's one of those things you've so-nicely covered many times before. Its an ends to a mean, used in conjunction with other parentings because hey, guess what, sometimes you need to combine methods to get a wantable outcome [i.e. not a bastard kid who pulls other children's hair in daycare]. The entire mindset of your L+ side is scary to me.

Being firm does not require hitting people. My parents never beat me, and I turned out fine. No criminal record, no behavioral issues. As they say, violence is not the answer.

Outliers do not a rule make. People are people because they respond to different things and punishments in different ways. Soe children happen to be hell bent on breaking rules, regardless of what their parents talk to them about. There's so much damn anecdotal evidence of things of this nature that honestly either side could pull an example out of their ass and the arguement could go on forever, but it doesn't matter.

I'm not egging you on, I'm trying to have a discussion with you and you're blowing up on me!

I just don't enjoy waking up to find some horseshit like this;
It's not hyperbole from my side, it's the advocates of abuse that's trying to downplay the severity their choice of beatings, and yes, you get the exact kind of argument from somebody who espouses so called "spankings" as you get from people who force their kids to eat their own puke or whips them with belts, as well people who want to be able to beat their wives.
on my Bay12. Grow up and enter the real world before you people spout off about other's parenting and saying such inflammatory stuff and you won't have a pissed off person dropping their humble opinion.

A quick skim of scientific literature says that spanking leads to externalizing behaviors, or taking your (negative) feelings out on others. Both mild and severe punishments were linked to externalizing, and these links were studied and proved independent of any societal, cultural, or other influences up to and including parental warmth.

Read: Even if you're a good parent, spanking your kids can still be harmful and is at the very least linked to them being assholes in the future.

It seems there's a wealth of literature on the link between externalizing negative emotions and physical punishment, and that's just at first glance. They all seem pretty conclusive as well.
But yes, Shin, you don't only resort to spanking a child. There's a big difference between using it as your main form of punishment and using it as the last resort.

I did find a study you probably did though; which basically says the exact thing I'm saying after an extremely long extrapolation on the long term social effects of corporal punishment which hey, guess what, I know about and agree with on every single point. But there's this juicy chunk of the study called 'Moderating factors':
Not all children who experience physical punishment suffer negative consequences. Baumrind, Larzelere, and Cowan argue that correlational data must not be used to make causal inferences regarding the detrimental effects of spanking.40 These authors suggest that the undesirable child outcomes associated with corporal punishment may be a result of the inept harsh parenting and that mild spanking used as a back-up to other discipline strategies (reasoning, time out) could increase the effectiveness of the alternative strategies in preschoolers with behavior problems; however, spanking by itself cannot promote children’s competence, moral character and mental health.
http://ecep.uark.edu/ecep_docs/What_experts_say_Spanking.pdf

Pretty much exactly what I'm saying.

Sorry my post is so fragmented and awful.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 12:09:06 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3738 on: September 10, 2012, 12:23:53 pm »

Both sides of this are getting rather hyperbolic and personally insulting (pretty much the only one who IS arguing rationally and not crazy upset is Shinotsa).
While I agree that this is a very important subject, and one that is very personal to both sides since they feel it either personally insults their parenting or their parents or perpetuates abuse, it might not be the right place to discuss this so vehemently. If you want to continue to discuss this so vehemently you should probably either start a new thread for this or continue this discussion in PM's.

A quick skim of scientific literature says that spanking leads to externalizing behaviors, or taking your (negative) feelings out on others. Both mild and severe punishments were linked to externalizing, and these links were studied and proved independent of any societal, cultural, or other influences up to and including parental warmth.
Read: Even if you're a good parent, spanking your kids can still be harmful and is at the very least linked to them being assholes in the future.
It seems there's a wealth of literature on the link between externalizing negative emotions and physical punishment, and that's just at first glance. They all seem pretty conclusive as well.
I agree, I don't think corporal punishment is very good parenting, there are almost always better ways to go about enforcing desired behavior, but I don't think that it is horrible child abuse like some here are saying it is.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3739 on: September 10, 2012, 12:41:00 pm »

I know when you're grasping at threads when you throw semantics into your fights, heh.
Leafsnail's guide to online arguments:
1. Make a semantic point.
2. Wait for your opponent to explain why that point is stupid.
3. "Heh, you made a semantic point"

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3740 on: September 10, 2012, 12:51:48 pm »

I'm not sure how you can define spanking as not being beating.
It isn't semantics. If you are hitting someone with the intent of punishing them you are, by simple definition, beating them.
The latter is justified in situations when you have a person who does not care about being put in time out, or if they're already in the mindset when a simple talking-to doesn't work to change the bad behaviour. You spank a child when they repeatedly break a rule you set, or if it's one of those things you've so-nicely covered many times before. Its an ends to a mean, used in conjunction with other parentings because hey, guess what, sometimes you need to combine methods to get a wantable outcome [i.e. not a bastard kid who pulls other children's hair in daycare]. The entire mindset of your L+ side is scary to me.
Removing privileges, grounding, lecturing, there are an entire set of non-violent punishments one can impose upon a child. The entire mindset of your traditionalist uncompromising mindset is angering to me because it continues to exasperate the issues of the past. We are better people than that.
I just don't enjoy waking up to find some horseshit like this;
It's not hyperbole from my side, it's the advocates of abuse that's trying to downplay the severity their choice of beatings, and yes, you get the exact kind of argument from somebody who espouses so called "spankings" as you get from people who force their kids to eat their own puke or whips them with belts, as well people who want to be able to beat their wives.
on my Bay12. Grow up and enter the real world before you people spout off about other's parenting and saying such inflammatory stuff and you won't have a pissed off person dropping their humble opinion.
First of all, I didn't say that. Just because we are in agreement on this issue does not mean the words and opinions of Scriver are equal to the words and opinions of MetalSlimeHunt.

Secondly, Bay 12 is a community. A consequence of being part of a community is sometimes encountering things you don't like.

Thirdly, I am in the real world. I live in a filthy, tiny college dorm. I nearly got arrested because of my jackass roommate's actions and probably will again because that bigot idiot never learns. I spend my days doing calculus, searching for valid energy sustainability research, and sleeping. My life is going somewhere even if I don't know where for sure, so please quit belittling me.

Fourthly, you have a right to get pissed off, but I have an equal right to not care if you do. If we're going to have a discussion about something we're going to have a discussion about something regardless of either of our emotional states.

Here's what the American Academy of Pediatrics has to say about corporal punishment:
Corporal punishment is of limited effectiveness and has potentially deleterious side effects. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that parents be encouraged and assisted in the development of methods other than spanking for managing undesired behavior.
Although spanking may immediately reduce or stop an undesired behavior, its effectiveness decreases with subsequent use. The only way to maintain the initial effect of spanking is to systematically increase the intensity with which it is delivered, which can quickly escalate into abuse. Thus, at best, spanking is only effective when used in selective infrequent situations.

The following consequences of spanking lessen its desirability as a strategy to eliminate undesired behavior.

Spanking children <18 months of age increases the chance of physical injury, and the child is unlikely to understand the connection between the behavior and the punishment.

Although spanking may result in a reaction of shock by the child and cessation of the undesired behavior, repeated spanking may cause agitated, aggressive behavior in the child that may lead to physical altercation between parent and child.

Spanking models aggressive behavior as a solution to conflict and has been associated with increased aggression in preschool and school children.17

Spanking and threats of spanking lead to altered parent–child relationships, making discipline substantially more difficult when physical punishment is no longer an option, such as with adolescents.

Spanking is no more effective as a long-term strategy than other approaches,18 and reliance on spanking as a discipline approach makes other discipline strategies less effective to use.19 Time-out and positive reinforcement of other behaviors are more difficult to implement and take longer to become effective when spanking has previously been a primary method of discipline.

A pattern of spanking may be sustained or increased. Because spanking may provide the parent some relief from anger, the likelihood that the parent will spank the child in the future is increased.20

Parents who spank their children are more likely to use other unacceptable forms of corporal punishment.21 The more children are spanked, the more anger they report as adults, the more likely they are to spank their own children, the more likely they are to approve of hitting a spouse, and the more marital conflict they experience as adults.20 Spanking has been associated with higher rates of physical aggression, more substance abuse, and increased risk of crime and violence22 when used with older children and adolescents.
Because of the negative consequences of spanking and because it has been demonstrated to be no more effective than other approaches for managing undesired behavior in children, the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that parents be encouraged and assisted in developing methods other than spanking in response to undesired behavior.

Spanking of young children is highly correlated with continued spanking of school and adolescent children.20More than half of 13- and 14-year-olds are still being hit an average eight times per year.17 Parents who have relied on spanking do not seem to shift strategies when the risks of detrimental effects increase with developmental age, as has been argued.

Spanking of preschool boys by fathers with whom the child identified only moderately or little resulted in increased aggressive behavior by those children.17

The more children are hit, the more anger they report as adults, the more they hit their own children when they are parents, the more likely they are to approve of hitting and to actually hit their spouses, and the greater their marital conflict.20

Although 93% of parents justify spanking, 85% say that they would rather not if they had an alternative in which they believed.21 One study found that 54% of mothers said that spanking was the wrong thing to have done in at least half of the times they used it.20 This ambivalence likely results in inconsistent use, which limits further its effectiveness as a teaching tool.

Although spanking has been shown to be effective as a back-up to enforce a time-out location, it was not more effective than use of a barrier as an alternative.32

Even controlling for baseline antisocial behavior, the more 3- to 6-year-old children were hit, the worse their behavior when assessed 2 years later.20

Parents who spank are more likely to use other forms of corporal punishment and a greater variety of verbal and other punitive methods.22 When punishment fails, parents who rely on it tend to increase the intensity of its use rather than to change strategies.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 12:57:32 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3741 on: September 10, 2012, 03:38:10 pm »

Guys, can we all just chill? Everuybody go have  10 minute coffee break or something.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3742 on: September 10, 2012, 05:10:21 pm »

Yeah, this is way out of hand.  I've avoided commenting on the subject, because it became so immediately emotional.  I'm especially put off by MSH and Scriver's insistence on a strict definition of beating, when I know you guys are mature enough to understand that all you're accomplishing is disproportionate demonization.  You're insisting on language, while applicable by purely technical definition, also promotes the most absolutely negative connotations possible.  A firm but painless pat and a stern glare do not match the connotations of the word beating, and are usually all that's required.

I am sympathetic to both sides of the argument.  I do think that physical punishment is way over-used by most parents.  I've had dozens of arguments with people about the fact that punishment (of any sort, actually) does not teach anything besides fear of punishment, which becomes worthless when that fear is no longer present.

However, parents face a wide variety of difficult situations.  Just because there are better solutions doesn't mean those are always feasible.

For instance

Removing privileges, grounding, lecturing, there are an entire set of non-violent punishments one can impose upon a child.

First of all, I think that removing privileges or grounding carries most of the same negative side-effects as physical punishment.  Even if it's not physical, you're still relying on the development of unhappy associations with the bad behavior.  The anger and resentment are still there.  The only thing that's better about them is they don't reinforce violent behavior.

Second, these things are not always applicable.  Lecturing obviously is not always useful.  The younger a child, the smaller the range of subjects they can understand a lecture about.  When you can't teach a child why a behavior is bad, but that behavior still must be prevented, positive or negative reinforcement are your only options. 

Positive reinforcement is incredibly difficult to apply to many situations, and can make for a kid who only does things for the sake of praise or reward.  It works best as a single-project approach to behaviors that can afford to be altered over a long term.

What's left is punishment.  Immediate effect is sometimes required, and things like removing privileges or grounding do not provide an immediate effect.  Furthermore, they are unlikely to be associated with the bad behavior in very small children.  If a toddler does something bad and finds a couple hours later that they're not allowed to do something they like to do, they're not going to make the connection. 

Time-outs are really the best thing, but they have to be done immediately if your child is not mature enough to understand later why they're receiving the time-out.  Parents don't always have the option to drop whatever they're doing and supervise a time-out. 

And that brings me to Scriver's repeated comments about parenting in Sweden.  Parenting in Sweden is incredibly different from parenting in America.  Most American families have both parents overworked, do not get paid parental leave (many don't even get vacation time), and are not willing to bend their normal policies whatsoever for parents.  Try telling a boss in America that you're late to work because you had to give your child a time-out, and you'll probably get some lecture about how "If the company had wanted you to have a child, you would have been issued one" (actual quote from a rant by another parent).  I've gotten into an almost yelling argument with my boss over my right to stay home (unpaid!!) and take care of my diabetic kid, who would very likely die if I didn't, on occasions that my wife isn't able to do so.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #3743 on: September 10, 2012, 05:13:35 pm »

So, is Occupy Wallstreet doing anything yet, or are they on to selling tie-dye shirts for fundraising?

(Obvious re-rail is as obvious as it is ineffective)
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3744 on: September 10, 2012, 05:17:09 pm »

So, is Occupy Wallstreet doing anything yet, or are they on to selling tie-dye shirts for fundraising?

(Obvious re-rail is as obvious as it is ineffective)
Depends. Really, they could do with a slogan first.
And then recruit a load of hobos to write for a newspaper, spreading the agenda to the public. Then go and shoot up a courthouse to get some scandalous information on rigged juries to publish at the end of the month in aforementioned newspaper.

Or they might do something legal. Who knows.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3745 on: September 10, 2012, 05:20:06 pm »

All I know right now is the one year anniversary is coming up on the 17th.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #3746 on: September 10, 2012, 05:23:32 pm »

Hmm, that's a striking comparison. Even if the 99% do accomplish... uh... whatever it is they're trying to accomplish, they'll still be faced with lasting negative policy (higher tax rates) for a century after.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3747 on: September 10, 2012, 05:26:03 pm »

That's not the perfect analogy though.
The reason women who wanted women to vote couldn't vote in somebody with those policies were because they couldn't vote.

With all of this stuff it could be done entirely within the political system.
1: Start a party that will endeavour to follow the ideals of your beliefs.
2: If it is popular, it gets voted in.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3748 on: September 10, 2012, 05:36:03 pm »

The united states doesn't have direct representation. There are so many levels of division that gerrymandering can significantly turn the course of elections. For example, Texas is around 45% democratic. I think we have one or two democratic representatives. Your vote may count some, but unless you convince a significant majority, it can still be manipulated to seem like voters want something else.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3749 on: September 10, 2012, 06:09:54 pm »

That's not the perfect analogy though.
The reason women who wanted women to vote couldn't vote in somebody with those policies were because they couldn't vote.

With all of this stuff it could be done entirely within the political system.
1: Start a party that will endeavour to follow the ideals of your beliefs.
2: If it is popular, it gets voted in.
Yeah that's kinda the depressing thing about American politics; Small parties never get popular simply because they aren't big.
In order to vote for a smaller party you must deny a vote to the larger parties that actualy stand a chance of winning.
No one votes for small parties because it's a waste of a vote since everyone knows no one votes for small parties.

Watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7tWHJfhiyo it explains why theirs no point in bothering in the american system
Pages: 1 ... 248 249 [250] 251 252 ... 297