Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 244 245 [246] 247 248 ... 297

Author Topic: Occupying Wallstreet  (Read 289746 times)

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
Re: Occupying Wallstreet
« Reply #3675 on: September 06, 2012, 08:24:24 am »

I've heard somewhat of it. Specifically, that there was such a performance, and that it revealed the Orthodox Church in Russia being in Putin's pocket. Thank you for the link.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3676 on: September 07, 2012, 07:22:13 pm »

The NYPD has erected a wall around Zucotti Park in anticipation of Occupy's one year anniversary.

In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3677 on: September 07, 2012, 07:44:36 pm »

What.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3678 on: September 07, 2012, 07:59:23 pm »

That's so totalitarian it's comical.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3679 on: September 07, 2012, 08:02:37 pm »

So... Occupy still going to do something there? or going the more entertaining route, choosing somewhere completely different and making NYPD look like idiots?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3680 on: September 07, 2012, 08:03:27 pm »

I'm sure the People's Republic of the NYPD will be happy to move wherever they go.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3681 on: September 07, 2012, 08:07:17 pm »

Yeah, but 10+ concrete blocks don't just move themselves... and it takes... at least SOME time to organize the building of a wall like that... especially in a place like New York.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3682 on: September 07, 2012, 08:16:42 pm »

Does the NYPD have helicopters? If so, that makes moving concrete barriers a lot simpler.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #3683 on: September 08, 2012, 01:03:36 am »

Does the NYPD have helicopters? If so, that makes moving concrete barriers a lot simpler.
Yes, the NYPD has helicopters, but have you ever tried airlifting something into Lower Manhattan?
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3684 on: September 08, 2012, 01:54:17 am »

One could erect the segment shown in the photo with a forklift and a truckload of blocks in about 5 minutes...

Wall seems weird though, i've gotta say.
Magma is overrated.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3685 on: September 08, 2012, 10:17:49 am »

Eh, its just the authority figures doing their best to curtail free speech.  I'm sure it strikes a similar cord to other places...

You also have to account for traffic, moving both the forklifts for the job and transporting the blocks elsewhere, but... sure the police could block traffic for the next hour or 3 during daylight...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3686 on: September 08, 2012, 11:42:23 am »

Zangi's got a point. If the Occupiers want to stir up trouble, the police can do it for them if they keep moving those blocks all over town.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3687 on: September 08, 2012, 12:08:22 pm »

Zangi's got a point. If the Occupiers want to stir up trouble, the police can do it for them if they keep moving those blocks all over town.

There are many, many cases of protesters grouped up harmlessly on a sidewalk, while police stand in the middle of the street with all their paramilitary gear and accuse the protesters of blocking traffic/disturbing peace/something similar.  It's the same mentality as a librarian screaming at the top of their lungs at two people whispering to each other.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3688 on: September 08, 2012, 12:32:44 pm »

So... I've got a Participation/Observation field assignment for Anthropology, where I'm supposed to enter into a different cultural or counter-cultural group that's slightly outside my comfort zone, participate in what they're doing, make inferences about their background and beliefs, etc. Meanwhile, Occupy's got their 1 year anniversary next weekend from Sept. 15th-17th. This also happens to be a weekend I'm off from work.

I'm expressly not supposed to be endangering myself, but it's pretty perfect timing. So I ask you, internet, is this a terrible idea?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 12:34:40 pm by Solifuge »

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3689 on: September 08, 2012, 12:34:16 pm »

With no other information than that? Sounds like a goddamn awesome idea.
Pages: 1 ... 244 245 [246] 247 248 ... 297