Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239] 240 241 ... 297

Author Topic: Occupying Wallstreet  (Read 289825 times)

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
Re: Occupying Wallstreet
« Reply #3570 on: August 13, 2012, 09:21:57 am »

http://epic.org/2012/08/white-house-pulls-down-tsa-pet.html

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/08/nude-scanner-order/

The whitehouse has pulled down a petition before it expired from whitehouse.gov that was calling for the TSA screeners to follow the law. It had almost enough votes to demand a response.

I realize the petition originated from the CATO institute, but it airs a legitimate problem.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3571 on: August 13, 2012, 09:48:29 am »

Thats a pretty shady tactic...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3572 on: August 13, 2012, 12:43:22 pm »

Except the petition just plain expired, and was pulled down like all expired petitions are. That story has been sensationalized for days.

The White House petitions are just a place for Obama's staff to peddle the party line to people anyway.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #3573 on: August 13, 2012, 07:47:53 pm »

I am probably wrong about this but I have always thought that minimum wage wasn't actually meant to be a living wage and that jobs offering minimum wage were to be used as stepping stones to gain work experience to get into higher paying positions. Intention and reality differ though, and it has become more of a horrible cost-cutting measure for companies to have the majority of the workforce be minimum wage employees. There is the potential (in most companies) for periodic wage raises beyond the minimum wage, sometimes with different increases based on performance.

If what was implied is that minimum wage needs to be increased then you are asking for a double-edged sword. If minimum wage increases then the price of goods will increase as well to some degree which will in turn make the "gallons of milk per time worked" approximately the same.

As I said at the start of the post, I am probably in some way wrong about things.
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3574 on: August 13, 2012, 08:02:14 pm »

Without minimum wage companies will happily pay slave wages instead.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3575 on: August 13, 2012, 08:09:31 pm »

In a perfect world, minimum wage would be re-worked so that companies need to have a certain amount of their work force -above- minimum wage.

I WAS gonna say "Or that workers with a company for greater than 2 years need to have at least a cost-of-living raise." but we all know where THAT would lead. Turnover of 2 years for EVERYONE.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3576 on: August 13, 2012, 08:20:45 pm »

One of the better sounding solutions I've heard is a ratio of payment between the lowest and highest salaries. For example, using 1-to-100 (way too high, probably): If the CEO wants $10,000,000 a year the bag boy gets at least $100,000 a year. The ratio payment method has the heavy advantage of working to regulate salaries regardless of the actual amount of money being used, it ignores inflation entirely.
No Gods, No Masters.

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #3577 on: August 13, 2012, 08:23:25 pm »

MetalSlimeHunt: The slave-wages thing sounds disturbingly likely, which makes me very sad to say.

Descan: That is pretty disturbing; thinking that I might have to find work every 2 years >.<
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3578 on: August 13, 2012, 08:30:25 pm »

It isn't just likely, it happened. Look up working conditions during the Gilded Age.
No Gods, No Masters.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3579 on: August 13, 2012, 08:31:41 pm »

Yeah. Why do you think minimum wage was born, anyway?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3580 on: August 13, 2012, 08:33:12 pm »

Slave waging will be fact.... heck there are employers out there who won't pay jack at all if they didn't have to...  oh yes, internships.  No complaints = good reviews...

Then, people will wonder why noone can buy more then the basic necessities, if even that...
EDIT: Oh yea... debt... its either dirt poor or life debts...
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 08:37:10 pm by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #3581 on: August 13, 2012, 08:38:48 pm »

Will do, thanks for pointing me in the right direction for the research. I haven't looked into the origins of the minimum wage before, but will be doing so now so I can get my head around the concept more thoroughly.

Edit:  Okay did a little research at [1] and went through some of the links provided on the page. That was a disturbing read that I didn't remember hearing in my USHistory classes back in middle and highschool. Not to say that it wasn't taught, I just didn't find history very interesting and generally didn't remember more than I had to in order to pass the class.

I need to do some more research on this, but figured I should post preliminary results here to show that I am actually trying to understand the situation :D

[1] http://www.minimum-wage.org/history.asp
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 09:07:56 pm by GalenEvil »

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3582 on: August 13, 2012, 09:17:15 pm »

Well, if it makes you feel any better...  history class doesn't really teach much...  much less the 'bad' stuff about the US.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3583 on: August 13, 2012, 09:25:20 pm »

Well, if it makes you feel any better...  history class doesn't really teach much...  much less the 'bad' stuff about the US.

I just graduated high school, and yeah its all pretty cursory stuff.

One of the better sounding solutions I've heard is a ratio of payment between the lowest and highest salaries. For example, using 1-to-100 (way too high, probably): If the CEO wants $10,000,000 a year the bag boy gets at least $100,000 a year. The ratio payment method has the heavy advantage of working to regulate salaries regardless of the actual amount of money being used, it ignores inflation entirely.

Yeah this is what I believe to be one of the better solutions.

The ratio does exist, but its something like 250 times in america (essentially meaningless), whereas in england I think its like 60 times.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3584 on: August 13, 2012, 09:37:03 pm »

I thought my high school's AP history was decent.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239] 240 241 ... 297