Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 297

Author Topic: Occupying Wallstreet  (Read 289978 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Occupying Wallstreet
« Reply #3495 on: July 25, 2012, 03:12:55 pm »

Ah, that distinction makes sense.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3496 on: July 25, 2012, 03:59:44 pm »

Yeah.  The first case, where they responded to someone asking for drugs, would not be entrapment (privacy breach aside).  But when they went on to get other people... that was entrapment.

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #3497 on: July 25, 2012, 04:48:43 pm »

Just read the link posted leading to boingboing about the entrapment case. That is a very scary thought. I used to be in contact with a lot of people that would regularly ask me random things about weed. Even if it is not directly entrapment for an officer to respond positively to such a message pretending they are me I think it is crazy that a judge would say that is okay. Nowadays it is not an issue, as I no longer have a cell phone and generally respond to text messages with a phone call the majority of the time if I someone is trying to get in touch with me via a text message to someone that knows who I am hanging out with.
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3498 on: July 25, 2012, 05:26:27 pm »

If you thought the cell phone thing was disturbing, here's a piece on NYPD surveillance practices.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3499 on: July 25, 2012, 05:41:38 pm »

NYPD, Worst then the CIA.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 05:46:28 pm by stabbymcstabstab »
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3500 on: July 25, 2012, 11:09:15 pm »

Another grim analysis of the consequences of climate change.

Spoiler:  From Kansas to California is a massive dust bowl almost twice as dry as the dust bowl of the 30's.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #3501 on: July 25, 2012, 11:37:58 pm »

It makes you wonder why there isn't major environmental lobbying coming from the US agricultural industry on the subject of global warming.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #3502 on: July 26, 2012, 01:23:27 am »

My guess? They're dependent on the fuel industry as much as anyone (I doubt tractors compare favorably to SUVs for fuel consumption), and the short-term costs of developing new technology and trying to outbid the fuel industry (an inevitable failure) outweigh the "hypothetical" long-term benefits.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3503 on: July 26, 2012, 07:37:17 am »

The insurance industry does lobby about it, though, since they wouldn't appreciate all the extra hurricanes.

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #3504 on: July 26, 2012, 11:30:54 pm »

My guess? They're dependent on the fuel industry as much as anyone (I doubt tractors compare favorably to SUVs for fuel consumption), and the short-term costs of developing new technology and trying to outbid the fuel industry (an inevitable failure) outweigh the "hypothetical" long-term benefits.
I decided to do some research into it last night, and it turns out big agriculture is one of the largest (if not THE largest) carbon producing industries in the US. So, they are more or less shooting themselves in the foot, long-run. I probably should have posted here when I still had the links open.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3505 on: July 27, 2012, 12:58:33 am »

...and that didn't take long. DC police officers takes phone off bystander.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3506 on: July 27, 2012, 09:11:10 am »

I decided to do some research into it last night, and it turns out big agriculture is one of the largest (if not THE largest) carbon producing industries in the US. So, they are more or less shooting themselves in the foot, long-run. I probably should have posted here when I still had the links open.
Really? Does this include raising animals or just growing stuff? Links, please.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3508 on: July 27, 2012, 10:31:17 am »

Right... now we can't even grow veggies without killing the planet. Forget livestock, because that void would be mostly filled by wild animals.

We need to hurry up and develop our machines so we can just replace and kill off nature. Even bio-engineering better nature would work, so long as all that slack is picked up. Or we could all start eating delicious soylent, kill off excess people, and stop all expansion. Nature is becoming unsustainable in it's current form.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3509 on: July 27, 2012, 12:46:39 pm »

Actually producing livestock in a responsible way is doable. Maybe not producing enough of it to sustain the current level of comsumption, but producing lots of it nonetheless. You should really check stuff like Holistic Management, those guys are actually improving the land by grazing it.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 297