Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 206 207 [208] 209 210 ... 297

Author Topic: Occupying Wallstreet  (Read 290471 times)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: Occupying Wallstreet
« Reply #3105 on: June 27, 2012, 04:14:20 pm »

I think a funny prank to pull on Wall Street (and anyone related) would be just setting up a bunch of tents with no people inside them, or a bunch of dummies wearing troll faces, and maybe carrying a message saying something along the same complaint line of "If something as artificial as a corporation can be considered a person, then we are people as well, dummy. --Signed, the 'Dummies' of Occupy Wallstreet". Just to screw with their heads.
This is a great idea, actually.
They can arrest people, but can they arrest dummies? Only if they qualify as people.

In a similar vein, you can always try to mail a Realdoll to any airport, especially to TSA agents and have it packed with some "contraband" inside it and force them to inspect it thoroughly.

EDIT:
It would be powdered sugar or flour packed inside, and inside can also be a message of sorts after they have to dig through manually. Essentially the message inside could say "Since you enjoy your job so much, take work home with you. And have fun explaining it to your friends and family.".
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 04:22:26 pm by Itnetlolor »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3106 on: June 27, 2012, 04:14:59 pm »

The police would charge the protestors with fraud.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3107 on: June 27, 2012, 04:18:33 pm »

or littering?...
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3108 on: June 27, 2012, 04:35:12 pm »

What protesters?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3109 on: June 28, 2012, 01:36:15 pm »

Spoiler: A nice infographic. (click to show/hide)
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3110 on: June 28, 2012, 01:52:26 pm »

And none of that really is any direct or close indirect result of capitalism.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3111 on: June 28, 2012, 01:54:05 pm »

I'd say like... half of it does.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #3112 on: June 28, 2012, 01:57:38 pm »

All but the center and right hand charts on the bottom appear to be related heavily to capitalism, to me.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3113 on: June 28, 2012, 02:10:06 pm »

I would say that most of it (such as 22 empty homes for every homeless person) could only exist under capitalism -- where a person is not allowed to have anything that they can't pay for and there are no incentives, only disincentives, to help out someone who can offer you nothing in return. 

The rest of it is indirect result of capitalism, such as military expenditures being a result of the rise of the military-industrial complex in the first half of the century, which then had a ton of economic clout with which to influence politicians and justify its own wasteful growth in spite of any actual need.  You can't just make millions of people dependent on a certain industry, and then wipe that industry away when it has served its purpose.  Those people dependent on it will defend its continued existence, and under capitalism, continued existence necessitates growth.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3114 on: June 28, 2012, 02:21:00 pm »

It isn't that simple, though. Those homes do belong to somebody even if they aren't being lived in. The government could seize them and give them to the homeless, sure, but that would be a massive breech of liberty. If the government has the authority to seize your property because they believe it would be better in someone else's hands, we get into a seriously oppressive situation.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3115 on: June 28, 2012, 02:26:59 pm »

Some abstract concept of liberty doesn't have any value when compared to people's lives. Around a hundred people freeze to death every year in my town because they don't have anywhere to go. I live in Texas. It's probably, far, far worse elsewhere.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #3116 on: June 28, 2012, 02:28:21 pm »

I wouldn't mind if the govornmnent started seizing bank assets in punishment for the fraud they performed to tank the us economy for profit. They could then give those homes to the homeless. On the other hand, many homeless people are mentally ill and really can't function in normal society. Its not just a matter of not being able to afford a place to live.

Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3117 on: June 28, 2012, 02:55:42 pm »

It isn't that simple, though. Those homes do belong to somebody even if they aren't being lived in. The government could seize them and give them to the homeless, sure, but that would be a massive breech of liberty. If the government has the authority to seize your property because they believe it would be better in someone else's hands, we get into a seriously oppressive situation.

And you jump straight to hypotheticals about government seizing property because

there are no incentives, only disincentives, to help out someone who can offer you nothing in return.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #3118 on: June 28, 2012, 03:01:21 pm »

No. I am jumping there because someone (MetalSlimeHunt) else explicitly mentioned the government seizing PEOPLES property.

Corporations are people too after all.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3119 on: June 28, 2012, 03:02:54 pm »

No. I am jumping there because someone (MetalSlimeHunt) else explicitly mentioned the government seizing PEOPLES property.

Corporations are people too after all.

My comment was solely in response to MSH.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Pages: 1 ... 206 207 [208] 209 210 ... 297