Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208 209 ... 297

Author Topic: Occupying Wallstreet  (Read 290503 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Occupying Wallstreet
« Reply #3090 on: June 27, 2012, 12:12:09 am »

Given that this thread has been postless for the past few months and I've heard nothing from the media or the circles of the internet I frequent, I think a recap would probably be a good idea.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3091 on: June 27, 2012, 12:20:11 am »

Top Secret level info becomes declassified at 75 years.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3092 on: June 27, 2012, 12:22:05 am »

Just as an aside, all the classified files about JFK's assassination become public in 2014 or so. Hopefully it will finally put some of the conspiracy theories to rest.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3093 on: June 27, 2012, 12:38:30 am »

There are 5 different classification levels:
1. Unclassified
2. Confidential
3. Restricted
4. Secret
5. Top Secret
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3094 on: June 27, 2012, 10:33:41 am »

And then there's the sixth one where they just never tell anyone until it is leaked.
you can't just go up to people and get laid.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3095 on: June 27, 2012, 10:43:26 am »

Firstly, that isn't how classification levels work.

Secondly, it has absolutely nothing to do with this thread.
No Gods, No Masters.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #3096 on: June 27, 2012, 02:15:59 pm »

I think a funny prank to pull on Wall Street (and anyone related) would be just setting up a bunch of tents with no people inside them, or a bunch of dummies wearing troll faces, and maybe carrying a message saying something along the same complaint line of "If something as artificial as a corporation can be considered a person, then we are people as well, dummy. --Signed, the 'Dummies' of Occupy Wallstreet". Just to screw with their heads.

I find this also rather appropriate (which could also be included in their note):
Quote from: The Free Dictionary
dum·my  (dm)
n. pl. dum·mies
1. An imitation of a real or original object, intended to be used as a practical substitute.
a. A mannequin used in displaying clothes.
b. A figure of a person or an animal manipulated by a ventriloquist.
c. A stuffed or pasteboard figure used as a target. (one covered in mace, and beaten to hell could wear that definition)
d. Football A heavy stuffed cylindrical bag used for blocking and tackling practice.
3. A stupid person; a dolt.
4. A silent or taciturn person.
5. A person or an agency secretly in the service of another.
6. Printing
a. One of a set of model pages with text and illustrations pasted into place to direct the printer. Also called dummy page.
b. A set of bound blank pages used as a model to show the size and general appearance of a book being published.
7. Games
a. The partner in bridge who exposes his or her hand to be played by the declarer.
b. The hand thus exposed.
8. Computer Science A character or other piece of information entered into a computer only to meet prescribed conditions, such as word length, and having no effect on operations.
adj.
1. Simulating or replacing something but lacking its function: a dummy pocket.
2. Serving as a front or cover for another: a dummy corporation.
3. Games Played with a dummy.
4. Computer Science Entered or provided only to meet prescribed conditions: a dummy variable.
tr.v. dum·mied, dum·my·ing, dum·mies Printing
To make a model of (a publication or page).
Phrasal Verb:
dummy up Slang
To keep silence; clam up.
[From dumb.]
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 02:25:48 pm by Itnetlolor »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3097 on: June 27, 2012, 03:04:40 pm »

There are 5 different classification levels:
1. Unclassified
2. Confidential
3. Restricted
4. Secret
5. Top Secret
YeaaaaaaNO. Not exactly that simple. DoJ has different levels from DoD, which has different levels from DHS. Then there's shades of "not secret, but not for public distribution" such as FOUO, Public Trust, Confidential, Law Enforcement Sensitive, etc. And within any of the levels (but usually in TS) information can be compartmentalized with an SCI/Need to Know rating pursuant to the project/investigation/whatever, where even other people with Top Secret clearance don't have access unless they're specifically authorized for that project/whatever. SCI has become very common within DoE and DoD.

But yeah....I just looked back at the thread and suddenly realized "WTF does this have to do with the Occupy movement?"

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3098 on: June 27, 2012, 03:08:24 pm »

Much of it is told in CIA documents de-classified 30-40 years after the fact.

He was attempting to pick on this.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3099 on: June 27, 2012, 03:32:09 pm »

Much of it is told in CIA documents de-classified 30-40 years after the fact.

He was attempting to pick on this.
Ah. In that case, still incorrect as all information comes up for review at the 25-year mark. In instances where there is a compelling reason to retain classification for national security purposes, the agency in question can apply for an exemption for that item, to retain its classification for up to 50 years, in 10-year increments (i.e. comes back up for review every 10 years). At the 75-year mark, the information is automatically declassified regardless. So for instance, we *might* get some juicy bits about WWII in the next few years, but the vast majority of that is already declassified. There have been some items released in recent years though, usually regarding the identity of certain spies. The only items that can be expected to go out to the 75-year mark are critical weapon designs and human intel information. Even then, technological obsolesence and changing geopolitics usually means that info is no longer a threat after 40-50 years.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3100 on: June 27, 2012, 03:54:56 pm »

Question: Is the "Eyes Only" qualifier a real thing, or did Hollywood make it up?
No Gods, No Masters.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3101 on: June 27, 2012, 03:59:58 pm »

A ton of stuff was de-classified during the early-mid 2000s regarding CIA Cold War activities in South America, especially clean admittance to involvement in Pinochet's rise to power.  Most of this was roughly 30 to 35 years after the fact.  I specifically remember reading a bunch of analysis from Chomsky on some critical information that had just been released regarding this stuff somewhere around 2005 or 2006, but I don't remember exactly what that information was.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #3102 on: June 27, 2012, 04:01:42 pm »

Question: Is the "Eyes Only" qualifier a real thing, or did Hollywood make it up?

The closest thing to that would be a "need to know" with a very limited number of people with need to know.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3103 on: June 27, 2012, 04:02:14 pm »

I think a funny prank to pull on Wall Street (and anyone related) would be just setting up a bunch of tents with no people inside them, or a bunch of dummies wearing troll faces, and maybe carrying a message saying something along the same complaint line of "If something as artificial as a corporation can be considered a person, then we are people as well, dummy. --Signed, the 'Dummies' of Occupy Wallstreet". Just to screw with their heads.
This is a great idea, actually.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3104 on: June 27, 2012, 04:09:47 pm »

AFAIK, there is no actual "FYEO" qualifier. There are qualifers like NOFORN (No foreign nationals), NOCONTRACTOR (what it says on the label), and FOUO (which makes it exempt from FOIA). I see a lot of LES, FOUO and SBU data in my daily work, with the occasional Confidential and Secret stuff too. Top Secret stuff within the Bureau is usually handled at the SCIF, which I don't have access to. (Alphabet soup FTW!)

Pretty sure Nadaka could give a better idea of how it works on the DoD side.

A ton of stuff was de-classified during the early-mid 2000s regarding CIA Cold War activities in South America, especially clean admittance to involvement in Pinochet's rise to power.  Most of this was roughly 30 to 35 years after the fact.  I specifically remember reading a bunch of analysis from Chomsky on some critical information that had just been released regarding this stuff somewhere around 2005 or 2006, but I don't remember exactly what that information was.
That sounds about right. Political situation in the 1990's probably meant that it got an exemption at the time. By mid-2000s, South America was no longer as much of a strategic region (and many of the US folks involved had either died or were long-retired).

EDIT: Oh, and just for the WTF factor, the highest level of NATO classification is "COSMIC TOP SECRET". UFOlogists have had a field day with that for years.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 04:16:58 pm by RedKing »

Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208 209 ... 297