Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 297

Author Topic: Occupying Wallstreet  (Read 288824 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Occupying Wallstreet
« Reply #2010 on: November 30, 2011, 03:33:57 pm »

Kogan, this is all nice and stuff, but at the end of the day, if the people with pepper spray, riot shield and 50 friends want to arrest you, he'll. Damn, last time I got arrested at a protest, the official excuse was "Suspected to have an intention of committing a misdemeanor". Which is bullshit, as I was just going around a bunch of protesters in a cop circle (like a crop circle with less crop) looking for friends.

P.S. This was Belgium, not the US.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2011 on: November 30, 2011, 04:23:36 pm »

We're all with you Kogan, but what Sheb is saying is half the reason people are out protesting in the first place.  The law doesn't mean a damn thing.  Or more accurately, it applies to the poor and dissenting 1000x more than it applies to the privileged.  See the dozens of stories floating around the internet right now of poor people lying or stealing for very small amounts of money to feed their families and getting years in prison vs corporate executives and banking institutions committing theft and fraud for billions of dollars and getting away with it or bending the law to their will so that it isn't even illegal.  Right now the law is nothing but a tool of the 1%.  We can't depend on it to do anything but oppress us.  We can only appeal to the conscience of those who enforce it, while making the world aware of the sorry state the law is in.

Edit:

LA has an estimated 13,500 homeless children, while the mayor's official excuse for evicting Occupy is that he heard some children were there and he was concerned that something might happen to them......

That NDAA provision about military detentions has passed the senate, and now it's up to the white house to veto it.

Anonymous and some other group named Team Poison plan to steal large amounts of money from banks and donate it to protests and charities.  I have some major reservations about their stated methods here....
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 04:52:08 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: November 30, 2011, 04:52:42 pm »

Yes, those homeless children might actually get noticed and recognized as fellow human beings by someone. LA can't have that at all, because then they'll look bad.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: November 30, 2011, 04:56:55 pm »

You should not attribute to malice what is easier explained by apathy.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: November 30, 2011, 04:59:08 pm »

I think the last word of that quote is "stupidity".
Though the two aren't exclusive to each other.

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: November 30, 2011, 05:01:17 pm »

You shouldn't rule it out, either.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: November 30, 2011, 05:02:00 pm »

That's very selective apathy.

Edit:

Tracy Lawrence, responsible for exposing very large amounts of foreclosure fraud, found dead in her home on Monday.  Cause of death is unknown, but police have already stated that they're not investigating homicide.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 05:07:41 pm by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2017 on: November 30, 2011, 05:17:35 pm »

Tracy Lawrence, responsible for exposing very large amounts of foreclosure fraud, found dead in her home on Monday.  Cause of death is unknown, but police have already stated that they're not investigating homicide.
I wonder who's being paid, and how much, to not investigate homicide here.

Honestly, do these people think we're stupid or something? People don't just up and die when they're involved in exposing things like this, they are murdered. Sure, it's possible that she died in some other way....but not every likely.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: November 30, 2011, 05:37:50 pm »

Without putting on my tinfoil hat, I'll say that she didn't die for nothing.

But really. What would be the point in killing her? You usually kill witnesses to prevent them from testifying. It's not killing her would put the lid back on the fact the entire US banking system was out to fuck over American consumers. That cat is out of the bag.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: November 30, 2011, 05:41:05 pm »

Panic maybe?  People are capable of making irrational decisions.  Not that I'm suspecting anything at this point, but I would very much like to hear more details than a press statement by the police department saying, "She didn't turn up for her sentencing, so we went to her home that day (unusual for a white collar crime), went inside, and found a dead body.  We're ruling out homicide.  Period."
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #2020 on: November 30, 2011, 05:41:34 pm »

But really. What would be the point in killing her? You usually kill witnesses to prevent them from testifying. It's not killing her would put the lid back on the fact the entire US banking system was out to fuck over American consumers. That cat is out of the bag.

You kill them to show anyone who might be considering going public that they will also be killed.

In reality every death where the cause of death is not incredibly obvious should be treated as a murder investigation. Particularly for a 43 year old woman who drops dead after squealing on major criminals.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2021 on: November 30, 2011, 05:49:23 pm »

You kill them to show anyone who might be considering going public that they will also be killed.

In reality every death where the cause of death is not incredibly obvious should be treated as a murder investigation. Particularly for a 43 year old woman who drops dead after squealing on major criminals.
^ Intimidation...

Witnesses tend to have first hand information that are admissible in court.  Finding more witnesses that would be able to give as much accurate information... willingly and voluntarily can be hard... 
For one, they are putting their job/career on the line...  The first hurdle that stops many many people dead in the tracks.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2022 on: November 30, 2011, 05:52:26 pm »

I think people would actually have to know about it for fear tactics to work. Guess how many people will know or remember this in a week? CNN didn't even care enough to put up a story. It's this weird thing when it comes to the internet. Too little and it remains underground so it never hits the public consciousness. Too much and you rouse the sleeping tiger of the Internet masses.

So yeah. I find it hard to believe. Not impossible, just hard. Who knows, maybe someone a couple notches up the food chain from her happened to be involved with the Russian Mafia or Los Zetas or something. Those are people I don't have a hard time believing would grease someone just on principle. American kings of finance, doing a grudge hit? A little less likely.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2023 on: November 30, 2011, 05:53:58 pm »

Yes I really should in this case.  People don't let children go homeless because they hate the children.  I am very confident in making that statement.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2024 on: November 30, 2011, 06:00:22 pm »

Yes I really should in this case.  People don't let children go homeless because they hate the children.  I am very confident in making that statement.

I still say that apathy is very selective.  Mobilizing hundreds of police out of concern for a few children (who are suddenly to be faced with those hundreds of police intending to serve and protect the shit out of them), when the funding that went into that probably could have fed all those homeless children for a week.  I'm not saying he hates children or wants them to be homeless.  I'm saying his excuse is incredibly shallow.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 297