Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 297

Author Topic: Occupying Wallstreet  (Read 288980 times)

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
Re: Occupying Wallstreet
« Reply #1920 on: November 28, 2011, 11:24:11 pm »

Lagslayer: you can not rely on charity to meet all the needs of society. If you could, they would already be met. People are not perfect, and there will never be a society without greed.

But what you suggest in your last paragraph is a far harsher form of force. "Purging" people from time to time until you kill everyone who does not fit into your ideal society is far far worse than making people pay taxes.
Perhaps I should have used some different vocabulary. Please allow me to clarify.

I did not say that pure capitalism was the solution, that there should be zero redistribution via the government. I'm saying that if it isn't done very precisely and in the correct manner, that it would just create more problems and corruption than having no redistribution at all. But since there are a lot of different people in the world, no one system is going to be right for everyone, hence the inefficiencies.

I meant "purge" as removal by force, outside the normal legal system, but not necessarily by just killing them. There will be a point where the system is so corrupt that anyone new that gets elected will be unable to accomplish anything, and will likely just fall into or be forced into corruption themselves. Ultimately, the threat of force is the only thing keeping the government in line (especially if they rig the system to protect themselves from legal punishment), and everything else is a warning that we will resort to force if they don't shape up. We must be willing to follow through on this eventually or it means nothing, like MAD. It also means nothing if we jump straight to force every time. The trick is to get it to happen when appropriate, and only when appropriate.

Or would you rather we just assume the fetal position as the system in question realizes we won't really do anything in retaliation? Was every revolution where the former leaders were forcibly removed completely unjustified? Damn Libyans! Damn Americans! Damn Europeans! Damn everyone, ever!

edits: adding stuff
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 11:32:14 pm by Lagslayer »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1921 on: November 28, 2011, 11:30:23 pm »

That ain't capitalism, buddy.
Sure it is capitalism. It isn't an unfettered free market, but then again, overtime unfettered free markets stop being unfettered free markets all by themselves, anyway.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1922 on: November 28, 2011, 11:54:38 pm »

That ain't capitalism, buddy.
Sure it is capitalism. It isn't an unfettered free market, but then again, overtime unfettered free markets stop being unfettered free markets all by themselves, anyway.

This is my view on it as well.  The free market ideal is great (like any ideal), but unsustainable.  It betrays itself by virtue of the same mechanisms that are supposed to make it work.  It can only be a temporary state.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1923 on: November 28, 2011, 11:56:24 pm »

Not if we regulate it properly. We just have to find the right balance, which will probably take us a great deal of time indeed.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1924 on: November 29, 2011, 12:00:45 am »

Which makes it a non-free market.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1925 on: November 29, 2011, 12:02:20 am »

A self-proclaimed libertarian friend of mine answered that by saying "as much regulation as necessary."

And nothing else.

We don't talk politics :D
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1926 on: November 29, 2011, 12:04:17 am »

Which makes it a non-free market.
It's a non-free market right now. The real free market exists in between the states of the economic corporate domination that we have now and the economic government domination that you would see in things like the USSR. A place where there is enough of the government in the economy to break apart large corporate entities before they become monolithic or politically influential, but not enough as to force everyday people out of business.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1927 on: November 29, 2011, 12:13:13 am »

So one that isn't free. The whole point that they're trying to illustrate is that a free market is a necessarily unstable state. The stable state that most approximates a free market may be an ideal worth chasing, but attacking any system on the basis of its failing to be a free market requires a fantasy view of economics.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1928 on: November 29, 2011, 12:15:40 am »

I think that you all have a very, very strange definition of what it means for something to be free.
No Gods, No Masters.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1929 on: November 29, 2011, 12:16:55 am »

IMO every economic system is unfair until we eliminate every single factor that goes into a purchase EXCEPT: 1) price, 2) quality.

Eliminating things like brand names, location, advertising, etc isn't exactly possible. Also we'd need to figure out a way to quantify quality. So, two impossibilities right there.

Thus, no system's perfect.

I think that you all have a very, very strange definition of what it means for something to be free.
Sure we know what that means? Free means you don't have to pay for anything!

No really, we're talking "free" as in "freedom." Regulations are, by definition, limiters of freedom. Thus any regulatory action would keep the market from being a "true" free market (also any attempt to control the market (on the part of corporations/etc) keeps it from being "free" as well, but that's beside the point).

As such, terms like "free market" suck. No market is or ever will be truly free. You can certainly call markets "free" in certain aspects, however. Free from X regulation or free from Y attempt of control. It's much more realistic to debate the values of specific regulations than claim that they're intrinsically bad or that any particular "ideal" is possible.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 12:22:42 am by kaijyuu »
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: November 29, 2011, 12:18:20 am »

Free as in unconstrained?
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #1931 on: November 29, 2011, 12:26:28 am »

Quick, someone come up with a way to regulate capitalism so everyone can poke holes into the idea until the bad parts are gone or at least avoidable with effort and we can consume it.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #1932 on: November 29, 2011, 12:55:30 am »

Oh hey, Barney Frank is retiring from Congress.  Thanks dude, you picked a great time.

I thought he was a very good Congressman. I could be wrong due to not reading as much as I could have but he seemed to be doing a much better job than the average lawmaker. When I saw him on TV he was sensible in times of senselessness, if you ever watched CNN back the past few years. One guy would be reading stuff he wrote last week to the witness then Barney Frank would ask some questions of the witness and get mad for good reason since the whole process was almost a mockery sometimes in that it's painful to watch if you understand what the hell they're all doing there.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: oops double post
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 01:06:18 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: November 29, 2011, 01:40:47 am »

Barny Frank certainly does not strike me as stupid, either. But considering his position, it's very hard for me to believe he did not have a huge, corrupt hand in the whole thing. He's been playing his hand very carefully, and now he's getting out before the shit hits the fan.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1934 on: November 29, 2011, 01:47:33 am »

Personally, I think we've seen what people do in a free market. They screw each other over. And it becomes a problem when they are so vital to a functioning economy that you must accept them screwing you over repeatedly because you can't do without them. And I mean, isn't that what humans do? They rise to the top, then they screw people.

So really, I don't see why we should treat the market any differently than we do any other human expression. Free warfare? Free nuclear power? We delimit our choices and alternatives everywhere because it's the smart thing to do, because we're human and we're stupid and we don't learn the things we should.

Why should our economies be any different? Maybe we won't enjoy the soaring successes of an unrestrained market, but we won't suffer the catastrophic meltdowns every 50 years either. And really, our consumption, our population growth, the damage we've done to the planet....we don't need to be doing things in excess as a species right now. I think we need to learn to accept a slightly lower quality of life so we can enjoy a higher quality of life over a longer time. And part 1 of that is saying to entrepreneurs and industry leaders that, yes, there are limits to how much money is enough money. 
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 297