Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 297

Author Topic: Occupying Wallstreet  (Read 289098 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Occupying Wallstreet
« Reply #1845 on: November 25, 2011, 11:20:00 pm »

In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1846 on: November 26, 2011, 12:11:02 am »

Maybe anxiety is actually super good for you and everyone in Europe, Asia and the South Pacific are just focusing on the wrong thing.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1847 on: November 26, 2011, 12:13:31 am »

Maybe anxiety is actually super good for you and everyone in Europe, Asia and the South Pacific are just focusing on the wrong thing.

Then the rest of the world is doing the best possible thing and skipping straight to making us anxious! :D

Spoiler: Seriously dark image (click to show/hide)
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1848 on: November 26, 2011, 12:15:01 am »

Want to see something unexpectedly disturbing?

Word of warning, that link is going to be meaningless when a new issue comes out.  Also worth noting is that they're talking about the Egyptian revolution, not anything in America.

But yes, it is a little sickening.  Time has been doing this for years, and taken to task plenty of times for it.  I remember a few years ago, when they did the same thing - cover story about the Afghan civil war everywhere but America, where it was a cover about homemaking.  Apparently Time Magazine believes Americans scare easily, which seems really dumb since Time is based in America, and I'm pretty sure the punchy covers sell better, not worse.

At least, it's only the punchy covers that I buy, because I sure as Hell don't want to walk up to the counter with a magazine about Let's Go Anxiety.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1849 on: November 26, 2011, 12:21:08 am »

Want to see something unexpectedly disturbing?

Word of warning, that link is going to be meaningless when a new issue comes out.  Also worth noting is that they're talking about the Egyptian revolution, not anything in America.
A.

B. I know it's about the Egyptian revolution, but given the recent turbulence in the US....it sends a message I don't like.

C. People have been saying that these covers literally feel like something out of a cyberpunk dystopia. I am inclined to agree. Not only did they change the US cover, but the US cover is extolling the virtue of anxiety. You can't even make that up.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 12:23:00 am by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1850 on: November 26, 2011, 12:24:36 am »

Naomi Wolf:  The Shocking Truth About the Crackdown on Occupy

I don't necessary buy into everything she's saying here, but this article is really popular right now and a lot of people are.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #1851 on: November 26, 2011, 12:26:59 am »

Ah, yeah, they had a link to that as well as several others on thedailywh.at
The others pointed out:
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/europe/0,9263,901111024,00.html
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/europe/0,9263,901111003,00.html
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/europe/0,9263,901111128,00.html

And if you just go back through previous editions, it's not uncommon. It's also not exclusive to the US region.
Spoiler: all of em (click to show/hide)
That's pretty much all of em going back to the start of 2010. I'll leave it up to you to interpret the data. :P

Also, here's the permalink to the original posted by msh: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/0,9263,7601111205,00.html

In other news: Amazon's review section for the sort of pepper spray used on UC Davis students!
Spoiler: sample (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 12:43:23 am by alway »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1852 on: November 26, 2011, 12:54:38 am »

In other news: Amazon's review section for the sort of pepper spray used on UC Davis students!
Spoiler: sample (click to show/hide)

This is gold!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1853 on: November 26, 2011, 01:23:19 am »

Well, how about that. Suddenly everyone on Amazon's a food critic.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 04:31:20 am by Barbarossa TSG »

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1854 on: November 26, 2011, 11:54:19 am »

They're subsidising employer's pay-outs for wages for up to 400,000 "unemployed young people" (21-24, I think) in April.  (£1 Billion).
It might be self-serving for their own safety in office, as usual, but at least us younger fellows have *some* sort of chance from it.
This didn't solve the problems in the Arab Countries if I recall. Libya had tons of money going to the youth. The problem is people want to DO something. They really do. People as a general rule WANT to work. They would prefer to do something they like to do, but I have very rarely found someone who only wanted to sit around and do nothing.

To be fair, i hope anon bangs together a news station themselfs, online to tell the world the unbiased facts of affairs.
Anonymous is the Masses. They ARE fox news, and they ARE NPR. They are you, and they are me. I don't want another station with more trash that sells itself out like a whore to whatever banking executive can make the most attractive offer to the individual who owns the rights for it. I'd rather our current news gain some integrity.

I see a few knocks against the communistic bent that the Occupy movement has...
I don't think Communism works, but neither does totally free capitalism. We need a different kind of capitalism, where little effort gives greatest return reward, but greater effort provides deminishing rewards.
Still capitalism, so still effort = reward, but where it takes more to be in the top margin. Something to encourage the spread of that wealth.

If I were given $100,000 in cash right now, I could create a very effective farm. I can't EVER get $100,000 in cash for that, because who in their right mind would pay for that? Describing the farm plan to a bank won't work because the description isn't part of my credit score. I can't get the investment in cash it needs.

My Dad knows how, with $1,000,000 or so, to open a different kind of business. His business plan is also well-established. He doesn't have the 10% to toss down to start it up.

The American Dream is about these startups. My Dad won't ever get his dream. I'll eventually get my farm unless my recent divorce and the debts that have come up from that cause these banks to go after my 20 acres of land. If they do that, I'll NEVER get my dream, because I'll never be able to come up with the 14,000 it cost to get that land again. My Ex Wife is already attempting to get 70% of my theoretical max income (which is ∞ larger than my current income) and she's likely to get that currently, which all becomes backpay she is due. And until she gets it, I probably will not be allowed to have a driver's license.

So, back to the "these banks to go after my 20 acres of land."
I currently have 2 large outstanding debts. One to Americredit, one to Bank of America.
Throughout this divorce, my wife has had physical possession of both of these items even though they are 100% in my name. She has no risk for them not earning any income. She has given me information that she gave Americredit 900 Dollars as I was pleading for them to put a temporary hold on the payment requirements and THEY were telling me they wouldn't unless they got money.

900 dollars to them from her as they were saying I had to give them money for the hold.
They repossessed the vehicle their loan assured, and charged me as much for the repossession and auction as they got for the car.
It was in her possession at the time it was taken.
Can they go after my land for it? Probably not. Maybe they can. I'm not a lawyer and don't know.

Bank of America, instead of demanding money for them to not foreclose on the house, demands I have a job and a decent credit score. They have begun foreclosure efforts. I have 3 people lined up who are actively looking for a place to live for 300-450 a month. I only need 714 dollars a month to pay the mortgage on this place. 3 people at 300 a month = $186 a month in profit that can go to maintaining the house in miscellaneous ways. They laughed when I asked if they had a job I could do for them that would meet their requirements.

So yea, it's not like things WON'T work out, it's just that these people won't even talk to me to find out what I need to meet their requirements, and aren't willing to provide the stuff they say anyone can get (jobs).

I know I'm not in a unique position. There's probably hundreds of thousands of people in similar situations out there, but it's an example of why capitalism doesn't currently work. I know how to get what I need, I just don't have a job nor do I have the arbitrary requirements these people have set for me to be worked with. I am certain that when it comes down to it, they will take me to court to get their money. The only thing I actually have besides the house in foreclosure and the repossessed car is that 20 acres of land, currently with a value of $14000. It cost me $10,000 when I bought it, and represents about 10% of all income for 4 years of Honorable Military Service. More than that though, it represents every hope and dream I have, and it's at risk due to a divorce while Unemployed, and an Ex wife who refuses to hold up her end of the financial burden as she holds my son hostage to get more cash out of me.
Yea, communism may not work, but clearly neither does capitalism in delivering the American dream. We need something else, and anything else is going to sound like Communism if it isn't capitalism running rampant.

This is all highlighted in the incident I see as these rich people say the Occupy Wallstreet people need to go home and get jobs.
If that's what they need to do, why don't you take your happy little butts out there and start giving jobs to these people who don't have them?
Colorado Spring's Occupy daily presence is more than 30% homeless people. Nobody out there that I talked to had a job. They were all pretty fed up with getting turned down for employment though.
Maybe other occupy movements are different?
Do your local Occupy Movements consist of happily employed people?
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1855 on: November 26, 2011, 12:19:18 pm »

Mine consists entirely of employed people except for myself and a few other students. Hell, some of the students are employed. Then again, small town, not a lot of freedom to turn people down for jobs.

In other news, I've decided to head up a movement to Occupy Congress in my congressional district. Our representative has chosen money over her people, and we're fed up with it. Right now I'm opinion polling, but soon I'm going to start taking polls on what they would like to see in a candidate. I don't know if this is a common thing, but I'd like to make it one.

Opinions?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1856 on: November 26, 2011, 12:31:48 pm »

Good idea. Actually, a rather cool think about Occupy compared to the Indignés of Belgium is their willingness to do politics. The indignés not only refuse all existing parties, but any hint en engaging the system.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1857 on: November 26, 2011, 12:42:54 pm »

Didn't realise Occupy had been raped by police. I'm cut off from TV, so the only news I get is a selection of 9 articles on each subject, on my iPhone... Nothing about Police Brutality here, bro.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1858 on: November 26, 2011, 01:42:56 pm »

Yea, lots of crackdowns and police action on them in a tight time frame.

Those in the USA can go to their local occupy movement and find out about it.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #1859 on: November 26, 2011, 03:15:17 pm »

Didn't realise Occupy had been raped by police. I'm cut off from TV, so the only news I get is a selection of 9 articles on each subject, on my iPhone... Nothing about Police Brutality here, bro.
Honestly, TV is one of the worst places to get news these days, especially regarding occupy. thedailywh.at has been really good as far as keeping up with the news (both occupy and the Arab Spring before it); I usually hear about things there before it gets posted in this thread and a day or two before it even shows up on tv news sites like cnn and msnbc. And what does end up on the mainstream 'news' is just day old copy + paste from Reuters or AP anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 297