Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 297

Author Topic: Occupying Wallstreet  (Read 289523 times)

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
Re: Occupying Wallstreet
« Reply #1530 on: November 15, 2011, 10:54:40 pm »

Well, it does - in a way.

Much like that unrelated shooting that happened near the Oakland protests which were used as a reason to shut down the camp again, this will be the "see, look how dangerous it is" story that the police point to when they use force to shut down the protests, even if it's an unrelated incident.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: November 15, 2011, 11:03:31 pm »

Much like that unrelated shooting that happened near the Oakland protests which were used as a reason to shut down the camp again, this will be the "see, look how dangerous it is" story that the police point to when they use force to shut down the protests, even if it's an unrelated incident.

I bet more people are trampled to death in holiday shopping sprees this year than have died in Occupy camps.  I'll be keeping track and making a poster of it, if it turns out to be true.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: November 15, 2011, 11:14:01 pm »

I bet more people are trampled to death in holiday shopping sprees this year than have died in Occupy camps.  I'll be keeping track and making a poster of it, if it turns out to be true.

"Don't let the truth stand in your way," seems to be everyone else's motto:

"Attention Holiday Thanksgiving shoppers!
Come on down to Generic Store for the Day after Thanksgiving Fight Day Sale!
1:00--Line forms
2:00--Doors Open
2:05--Shovin' and Tramplin' (start promptly)
2:15 Riot police/tear gas!
(Come on moms, you know you wanna beat the daylights out of one another over a kids toy.) :)"
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 11:27:32 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: November 16, 2011, 12:58:38 am »

Curious 84-year-old bystander pepper sprayed.  My impression from the picture is that she got hit quite directly and intentionally.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: November 16, 2011, 01:37:52 am »

Okay, really? Just.. a bystander? And then she got sprayed? For NO REASON? This is sort of disconcerting. I just don't know what to say.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: November 16, 2011, 01:42:07 am »

Okay, really? Just.. a bystander? And then she got sprayed? For NO REASON? This is sort of disconcerting. I just don't know what to say.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M8vei3L0L8 might help you there.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: November 16, 2011, 01:44:28 am »

Just watching the news right now. Something on about how the police rocked up after twelve and crashed the party.
USA: Clean yo shit up now. Throwing gas canisters at protesters hasn't been popular since the 60's.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: November 16, 2011, 02:05:10 am »

Last I heard, the protesters were allowed back into Zuccotti, but not with tents. What are they planning now, does anyone know? A different park, perhaps, or push on through?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: November 16, 2011, 04:21:05 am »

The old woman was not some innocent bystander. She stood with the protesters. Weather it was ethical or not is a mostly unrelated argument.

The other woman was only 2 months pregnant, something that could hardly be distinguished by eye. Even if she was obviously pregnant, to what extend does that make her immune to force? But again, this is a somewhat unrelated argument, same as with the elderly.

The protesters can exaggerate as well. Propaganda is a 2 way street.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: November 16, 2011, 06:16:44 am »

The old woman was not some innocent bystander. She stood with the protesters.

From the looks of it, she's a well-known local activist, but wasn't directly involved.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: November 16, 2011, 11:04:29 am »

Rainey was among dozens of protesters hit with the “less-than-lethal agent” after refusing to move from the intersection of 5th Avenue and Pine Street following a march of solidarity with Occupy Wall Street.

Rainey, a longtime presence in local politics, wrote The Stranger an email afterward, saying she stopped by the protest on her way to a public meeting on a transportation issue.

“Knowing that the problems of New York would certainly precipitate action by Occupy Seattle, I thought I better check it out,” she wrote, “especially since only yesterday the City Government made a grandiose gesture to protect free speech.”

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: November 16, 2011, 11:35:20 am »

A shooting? In Oakland? Perish the thought, that's not normal at all.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: November 16, 2011, 11:53:42 am »

Nixon must be rolling in his grave now
"Why couldn't it have been legal in my time?"

EDIT: Far too used to using spoilers.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 01:36:06 pm by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: November 16, 2011, 11:55:29 am »

url tags do not work that way.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: November 16, 2011, 12:41:20 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 297