Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bookkeepers need books for bookkeeping  (Read 1457 times)

Urist McDagger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bookkeepers need books for bookkeeping
« on: September 23, 2011, 07:31:43 pm »

I know books won't be producible for a while, but..

There could be a ledger for each year, with stocks updated seasonally. If there is no way to create a ledger (due to not having a book), then the stocks screen will be blank. If there is no way to update that year's ledger (due to having no bookkeeper, or if the bookkeeper cannot get to a book), then the ledger (and therefore stocks screen) won't be updated. If the ledger is lost, and there are no copies, then information for that year is lost.

If you find a fortress ledger in adventure mode, and are literate, then you could read it. It could just include the numbers, or it could tell where everything is. Also, and this might be hard/impossible to code, a literate npc that somehow got one could read it as well to learn where your stuff is, how much you have, how much they could take before someone notices, and how easily they could steal it.

How many axes and ballista bolts you have might even be useful information for seigers if the last part could be put in.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 08:25:48 pm by Urist McDagger »
You wouldn't rush Goya or Faulkner or Tarantino. Think about Toady as equal to those artists. And then deal with it.

C27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bookkeepers need books for bookkeeping
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 01:10:37 am »

You'd need to be able to make paper, from logs and/or from rope material, at a paper mill (maybe a special workshop that uses a millstone and power supply).
You'd need to make ink, probably from either dye plants or special ink plants, at a farmer's workshop.
You'd need a printing press workshop.
You might need a new Printer skill/labor.

I like the idea. We could also maybe make bookshelves as furniture decorations, and designate Library zones where off-duty dwarves could go to read. Possibly this could help them pick up random or specific skill training.

If books are discrete items, they could have descriptions (as if they were decorated) and quality levels - masterwork and artifact books could give a higher learning rate as well as happy thoughts.
This is "Dimpledcats the Egg of Chastising", a well-written treatise on swordsdwarfship by Urist Lancedrenewed. The binding is cat leather decorated with an image of a snailman in copper. Its 491 pages are rope reed paper printed with blue dimple cup ink.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 01:22:12 am by C27 »
Gold is for the mistress– silver for the maid–
Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.
‘Good!’ said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
‘But iron– cold iron– is ruler of them all’.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 02:34:58 am »

You'd need to be able to make paper, from logs and/or from rope material, at a paper mill (maybe a special workshop that uses a millstone and power supply).
You'd need to make ink, probably from either dye plants or special ink plants, at a farmer's workshop.
You'd need a printing press workshop.
You might need a new Printer skill/labor.

They don't really need to print copies of the stockpile records on a printing press.  Who would read all of those, anyhow?  They just need someone to write in them, by hand, at their desk.  Grab a few feathers for use as pens (there are many birds to get these from and they wear out with use), use existing dyes as inks, figure out how to make logs into wood pulp, then turn that into paper.  Finally, bind the sheets in leather with a bit of thread and you have a book.  Pretty much everything we need exists, except for a way to make paper.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 05:41:24 am »

From the mainpage : "Jumped the gun on books a bit to make necromancer towers more varied (thought I was going to do grammar first, but physically, that was unimportant). We had a wizard game from a long time ago with fun little generated books, so we went for that. As usual, it'll be more interesting later, but you can currently read them and learn. If you can read."
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Kattaroten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 10:55:38 am »

About time to introduce books to bookkeeping xD
Dwarf Fortress: You have a team of hundreds working for four years to make a game where you save the world again. We have one guy for four years make a near-infinite world generator, write the physics,generate histories,form detailed descriptions of every human, elf, dwarf, and goblin generated, caverns, and huge randomly generated monsters made out of who knows what. You. guys. suck.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 12:18:40 pm »

I believe the idea is to eventually have the bookkeeper produce Moria-style records that later explorers can find in your fortress, detailing your tragic decline and sudden fall to the horrors that were unleashed from the depths.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2011, 12:42:56 pm »

They don't really need to print copies of the stockpile records on a printing press.  Who would read all of those, anyhow?  They just need someone to write in them, by hand, at their desk.  Grab a few feathers for use as pens (there are many birds to get these from and they wear out with use), use existing dyes as inks, figure out how to make logs into wood pulp, then turn that into paper.  Finally, bind the sheets in leather with a bit of thread and you have a book.  Pretty much everything we need exists, except for a way to make paper.
There could be uses for multiple copies, actually. The Mountainhome might need proper records of the fort's annual generated wealth if you choose to become a barony, or for levying taxes. The player could use them to track productivity over a period of years, some data getting lost if a set of records gets destroyed.

Also, paper shouldn't be the only available method. Wax and clay tablets, papyrus or even bamboo should also provide a source of writing material if timber is in short supply.

And I like C27's idea a lot. Dwarves with a particularly high skill in something could occasionally experience something a little like a strange mood and write treatsies on their craft, which could be used in several ways to aid other dwarves in levelling up faster and mitigate skill rust. Others could be inspired to write sagas or poetry that their fellow dwarves might choose to read in their spare time.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Urist McDagger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2011, 04:59:49 pm »

I believe the idea is to eventually have the bookkeeper produce Moria-style records that later explorers can find in your fortress, detailing your tragic decline and sudden fall to the horrors that were unleashed from the depths.

That was pretty much the main thing I had in mind. Then I realized the potential for Elfy McDiplomat sneaking a few records away to help plan the next siege. :)
You wouldn't rush Goya or Faulkner or Tarantino. Think about Toady as equal to those artists. And then deal with it.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2011, 05:43:20 pm »

Obviously dwarves would just as easily engrave their stock records on the walls... For the more temporary kind of paperwork a load of slate plates is very suitable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slate_(writing)
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2011, 05:54:20 pm »

I just assumed "book keepers" used stone slabs and wedges.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2011, 01:02:32 am »

Also, paper shouldn't be the only available method. Wax and clay tablets, papyrus or even bamboo should also provide a source of writing material if timber is in short supply.
Wax on a rock slab for a writing surface for things that don't necessarily have to be permanent, perhaps. Heat it and smooth the wax out and you're ready to re-use it. Wouldn't need ink, either.

And, since we're talking about dwarves, I like the idea of carving stone tablets as a [very] limited variant of a book  - either only being able to hold simple information (partial book-keeping screen?) or requiring multiple tablets to accomplish anything (full book-keeping screen, but you need like 12 tablets/year).

Later, books could be used for things like cooking recipes and spellbooks... Dwarves may decide to write their own books or journals (terribly at first, until they learn to write better) on what they've learned about a skill, either to share with the fort, sell to travelers, or reduce skill rust a bit.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

ravaught

• Bay Watcher
  • Anybody seen mah beer?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2011, 11:03:10 am »

Well, for starters, everyone seems so hung on the concept of books that they completely seem to have overlooked the more common idea of scrolls made from animal skins, which are already in abundance in the world so there would be nothing to re-code, and they would fit more in line with the time frame and technology level, particularly for early embarkation.

I don't think that not having a book should keep the player from getting at least mostly accurate stock data though. It is possible to do inventory with nothing but sticks and a knife if it comes down to it. It might be the ingredient needed for 'all counts accurate' mode though.

As far as the sagas, poetry, etc etc, I would like to see those get blended in with other crafts. For example, the clothing maker or spinner might do a tapestry or embroider an epic, the engraver would chisel into the wall, floor, or a piece of furniture, the metal smith would do it on metal plates, etc etc. When I think of Dwarfs, I think of a race that wants whatever they create to last as long as the rocks and mountains themselves, so I think that paper might be a little non-dwarfy.
..because making sense and having FUN are not mutually exclusive.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2011, 11:13:38 am »

Goblin vellum. :P
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

ravaught

• Bay Watcher
  • Anybody seen mah beer?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2011, 11:59:13 am »

Yup, I missed that  :-X Another use would be for architects, requiring them to have one scroll/tablet/book/etin skin per construction(bridges etc). As a bonus, if the construction is sufficiently large or complicated, the blueprints could become special items after the work has completed, similar to how ship builders and architects will often keep models or drawings of their projects as mementos.
..because making sense and having FUN are not mutually exclusive.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2011, 12:09:49 pm »

As far as the sagas, poetry, etc etc, I would like to see those get blended in with other crafts. For example, the clothing maker or spinner might do a tapestry or embroider an epic, the engraver would chisel into the wall, floor, or a piece of furniture, the metal smith would do it on metal plates, etc etc. When I think of Dwarfs, I think of a race that wants whatever they create to last as long as the rocks and mountains themselves, so I think that paper might be a little non-dwarfy.

That's not a bad idea, but they'd still probably have to start out with some paper or a slate. Neither are tapestries, engraved metal plates etc especially portable or easy to replicate. Hand-rendered or even printed copies of a particularly good saga or engraving could be a valuable trade commodity.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!
Pages: [1] 2