Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What could i possibly have done wrong here?  (Read 1683 times)

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
What could i possibly have done wrong here?
« on: September 23, 2011, 06:35:01 pm »

i had NO cloth or thread of ANY kind.
I made 2 cloth stockpiles, 1 with candy forbidden and 1 with everything else forbidden.
1 year later, i get some wool, silk, and fiber, ALL of which goes into pile 1. so far so good.
1 year later, i start extracting candy fibers, the first 6 of which go into pile 2.
but ever since those first 6, none of the dwarves care about what goes in what pile and ive got tons of silk thread in my candy pile and tons of candy in my cloth pile.

WTF?!?!?!
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: What could i possibly have done wrong here?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 06:45:54 pm »

Material settings don't seem to work reliably for thread stockpiles.

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=4380
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 06:47:57 pm »

Material settings don't seem to work reliably for thread stockpiles.

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=4380
so it aint me?
i just need to move the clothing are closer to the thread extracting area and use all one stockpile then?
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 06:54:16 pm »

When I extract threads from spoilerite, I use maximum-security lockdown measures.  I put the raw ore in a room, along with food and drink, bedrooms and minimal dining room, craftsdwarf workshops and magma smelters.  When I'm ready to extract strands I put the strand extractors in there and lock the door.  They extract the strands, then melt them to wafers, and only when they're all done do I open the door and let them out.  That's the only reliable way to keep adamantine strands from getting mixed in with the rest of the cloth.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 06:55:55 pm »

Also makes sense, seeing as this is the strongest, lightest material in the whole world we're dealing with.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 07:04:13 pm »

I'm actually having some success with an candy-only custom pile (accepts raw candy, candy wafers, and candy thread) and the "take from pile order" on all other piles that could accept every kind of cloth mat EXCEPT candy ( I did make sure to switch that off everywhere before processing any).  Before I set up the take from pile command, dwarves were hauling my candy thread up to the main "junk" stockpile.  when I switched on take from pile, they hauled ONLY candy strands and bins containing candy strands back down.  The bins would get hauled even if they contained other cloth, but bins with no candy and loose non-candy threads did NOT get moved, and bins that no longer had candy in them would be hauled back up if they had any other cloth.  I think candy threads still make a brief stop in the main stockpile, but they all come down to the pile in the depths soon enough.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 07:14:02 pm »

As long as you have a legendary clothier, you should be able to outfit your entire fort with candy clothing, then they'll have no further need for it besides armor and sharp things.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Kromgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 08:20:14 pm »

Adamantine clothing would degrade over time as well.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2011, 09:19:49 pm »

only if the dwarves changed into them.

"here is the greatest, most wonderous clothing in the world!  You may look, but not touch.  Sure, we have enough to outfit the entire fort, but you'd only get it dirty..."

ohgoditburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2011, 09:38:13 pm »

There's a mod floating around out there that makes all clothing into armor. This has the effect of the clothing not degrading, your dwarves starting out naked, FPS increasing slightly, and adamantine clothing being worthwhile
The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.