Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 26

Author Topic: Wild West Mafia - GAME OVER - Scum Win!  (Read 144540 times)

NativeForeigner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wild West Mafia - Day 1 [9/9] - No gold for the wicked ?
« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2011, 11:01:28 pm »

I'll expect you to ask more questions tomorrow, then.

(On a completely unrelated note, just as I noticed for the first time the name of the day, "No Rest for the Wicked" came on my Pandora station. I felt that was worth mentioning.)
Yeah, you're a dick, NativeForeigner.
Quit being such a dick, you dick.
Maybe if you weren't such a dick you wouldn't be such a dick.

musicalcakes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 08, 2011, 11:33:56 pm »

Unvote. Diakron. In my experience, any defense beginning with "if I were scum" turns out to be scum grasping at straws more often than not (and most of the "nots" are usually noobs). Tell me, when would a town player get any legitimate use out of a defense like that?

You also seemed rather worked up in your last few posts. Kicking yourself for slipping up?

Andrew425

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 09, 2011, 12:28:31 am »

Andrew, another scenario: It's MyLo, and you're the last scum player. Of the other three players, one is a habitual lurker, one has been giving off very strong town reads all game, and one has shown to be difficult for anyone to read. The day ends in a no-lynch. Who do you take with you to LyLo? Also, which of the hypothetical town players do you feel best matches your playstyle?

I would probably take the 1st and the 2nd, and then I would probably try to convince the 2nd player to take out the lurker, as he is less likely to refute my points.

musicalcakes Would you kill half of humanity if it meant 100% could survive or would you take a 75/25 chance that we would either live or die?

NativeForeigner I see you are leading the charge against the scum, is there a reason for this? Wouldn't you rather keep your head down and survive then go on a blatant charge against the enemy?

Shark Do you believe in the power of friendship?

As a note, i've never played this game online before and I want to know if I am doing this right, when I choose someone who I think is scum I say Vote:Joe Smith? And how many questions am I allowed to ask?
May the mass times acceleration be with you

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 09, 2011, 01:06:30 am »

Noodlerex, what's your favorite role in mafia?

Basic town.

Do you have anything else to add?

This isn't a Beginner's Mafia and I have no obligation to make sure that you know what you're doing, but I'll ask you a single question before I continue:

Have you ever played mafia before?

Cause i'm still pretty nooby at this. I guess I should.
Anyway, going to bed, won't be posting for like 10 hours.

This is why we run all our new players through a Beginner's Mafia, so that they know what to do when they actually get to a game.

In any case: Be bold, don't be cautious, if you screw up, at least you're learning. Go hunt, don't let anything stop you from asking any question you feel like, but since this isn't a Beginner's Mafia don't expect anybody to hold back for you. I know I won't.

As a note, i've never played this game online before and I want to know if I am doing this right, when I choose someone who I think is scum I say Vote:Joe Smith? And how many questions am I allowed to ask?

You have one vote to cast which you cast with red text. You cannot vote multiple people.

You're allowed to ask as many questions as you want. You don't need the red text to do it.

Diakron has completely imploded under the weight of... being scum, I guess. There doesn't seem to be any other likely explanation for a flipout that extreme. Everybody else has called out Diakron for the same things I would have and his answers haven't satisfied me, so my vote is sticking there unless he suddenly starts playing brilliantly.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Noodlerex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 09, 2011, 01:18:48 am »

I've played a similar game but the rules were slightly different.

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 09, 2011, 01:23:31 am »

musicalcakes Would you kill half of humanity if it meant 100% could survive or would you take a 75/25 chance that we would either live or die?

Shark Do you believe in the power of friendship?

I'd try not to ask such pointless questions.  RVS doesn't mean ask random questions about whatever.  Try to stick to questions about Mafia tactics, strategies, preferences, etc.  Remember, the point is to provoke discussion and help us get leads on everyone's behavior as it regards the game.  Questions about your favorite foods or abstract moral quandaries does nothing but waste time, here at least.
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

musicalcakes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 09, 2011, 01:40:05 am »

I honestly don't mind humoring questions like this, even though it's a little off-topic. I'm assuming you mean "kill half of humanity to guarantee the survival of the other half" with the first part? My answer would depend on whether I'm allowed to choose exactly who dies and who doesn't. If I could guarantee everyone I cared about and everyone who I thought could make the world better survived, then the first option is the way to go. If I couldn't, then I'd choose the second choice simply because 75/25 is better odds for myself than 50/50. And hey, if we all die, we wouldn't be around to care about it.

My question for you is why ask things like this instead of questions relevant to the game? Sure, maybe you may think one answer is inherently scummier than another, but a person's views and personality have no bearing on what role they're assigned in a game of mafia.

Andrew425

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 09, 2011, 01:58:17 am »

Its not your answer i'm looking for its how you answer the question;

Everybody is going to more or less answer the question in their own way, but since these questions are somewhat out there you are less likely to have answered them before and more likely to give me an honest answer, and with that we can use it as a point of reference to figure out the difference between your real persona and your characters.

Urist_McArathos Lets say you were scum, how would you divy up the loot between you and the other scum?

musicalcakes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 09, 2011, 02:06:25 am »

Everybody is going to more or less answer the question in their own way, but since these questions are somewhat out there you are less likely to have answered them before and more likely to give me an honest answer, and with that we can use it as a point of reference to figure out the difference between your real persona and your characters.

But these questions aren't "out there." They, especially the one you asked me, are pretty common. Also, though the point of reference thing is a nice idea, you're highly unlikely to be able to accurately gauge when a stranger is lying through text if the only thing you have to go off of is an honest answer to an unrelated question. Logic and questions relevant to the game are much more valuable tools when you aren't playing face-to-face or with people you know well.

Honestly, the first thing that comes to mind with questions like those is, "What is this guy trying to distract me from?"

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 09, 2011, 02:09:14 am »

Urist_McArathos Lets say you were scum, how would you divy up the loot between you and the other scum?

If I was scum, I wouldn't care at that point; I won the game.  Simple will handle the post-game flavor.

The RVS stage is either over, or close to it given the suspicions on Diakron.  What is your purpose in asking me a question that has nothing to do with the game we're playing, and quickly moving into playing seriously?
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 09, 2011, 02:12:30 am »

I've played a similar game but the rules were slightly different.

You're still not really doing anything. The addition of 'really' in that sentence was generous. You have done exactly nothing.

Who do you find suspicious?

These questions tell you a lot about the player, but not a lot about his alignment. A player will answer the same way whether he is town or scum. This makes the question useless; it does nothing to help you scumhunt.

Topical questions are, at the very least, topical.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

NativeForeigner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 09, 2011, 02:15:20 am »

Andrew: It might do you well to know that a name in red text is a vote for that person.

NativeForeigner I see you are leading the charge against the scum, is there a reason for this? Wouldn't you rather keep your head down and survive then go on a blatant charge against the enemy?

Um. Because I want scum dead? I'd rather take lead and get us off to a good start rather than lay low and end up losing the game because I didn't hunt. Sure, it would increase my odds of surviving... right up to the point where scum kills off the last person in LYLO and wins.

Andrew425

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 09, 2011, 02:16:41 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And there I have it, by trying to place me in a box you seem to be going on the offensive thus indicating a need to shift the blame to someone other then diakron, perhaps trying to save him from a certain death?

Oh and Urist, there are two scum players in the game I would like to lynch them both.

Also as a game note, are we supposed to talk are we supposed to answer in character?

NativeForeigner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 09, 2011, 02:21:47 am »

We don't usually talk in character (we tried it once with an Supernatural RP mafia, it was interesting), but I guess if you want to that's up to you.

Andrew425

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 09, 2011, 02:26:33 am »

Oh I had assumed we were, which makes most of my questions pointless.  :-[
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 26