Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: So how about spies?  (Read 2506 times)

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
So how about spies?
« on: September 23, 2011, 04:38:00 pm »

I.e., some migrant waves could have non-dwarves, who report back to their civ and ruin all of your hard trapwork. Sort of like the old liasons, except that they're hidden until...something happens, or something.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Roraborialisforealis

• Bay Watcher
  • [HATEBILLION:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
Re: So how about spies?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 04:40:10 pm »

IF you could examine them and see "They are abnormally tall"
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 04:42:33 pm »

Also, I finally embarked early enough that Kobolds are still around. Should I tame two and set them up with a nest box?
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

TheChosen

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 04:51:38 pm »

Dwarven spy checking: Ignite the suspects with Dragon's flames. If he runs around screaming that he's on fire, its not a dwarf, therefore a spy.
TheChosen cancels Mega-project: Too sane

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 04:55:51 pm »

WRONG!

Throw a Pig-Tail sock into the middle of a horde of Demons. If he runs away, screaming in terror, THEN you know he is not a Dwarf, but instead is an Human-Fondling Spy-elf!
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 05:12:55 pm »

Actually, I think the easiest way to tell is to check their preferences, and if they don't "need alcohol to get through the day" then they're clearly one of Armok's less favored.

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 05:14:38 pm »

Not Dwarfy enough.
We need a new way to test them.
I know! We need to task them with smoothing and engraving. If they don't use their beards, obviously they're spies.
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 05:17:33 pm »

I'm for the fire test.  Catch them on fire; Runs to river: spy.  Casually walks into dining hall: dwarf.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2011, 05:21:49 pm »

makes the mist generator/artificial waterfall serve double duty.  if you build and time it right, the fast ones will get put out while being rendered nearly fatless from the experience, making them good supersoldier stock

Spies could probably work by the normal mechanics of kobold thieves: [trapavoid] and skulking.  Once books are implemented, their goal is probably to nab your records (from the bookkeeper's office or a noble throne room), granting knowledge of your defenses and some ability to avoid them to the parent civ if they escape.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2011, 05:28:26 pm »

Thus: Weaponize the manager's office!

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2011, 05:29:54 pm »

So there's finally an excuse to tell the nobles why their offices all have magma floodgates?

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2011, 05:33:34 pm »

Actually, no. You just tell them that the Artifact Floodgate, along with the Artifact Mechanism used to mechanize the Artifact Floodgate, is there for decorative purposes.
And also, for pop quizzes.

TheChosen

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2011, 05:36:26 pm »

Maybe not just trap-avoid; They could disable traps and mechanics, open doors and bridges and release animals and prisoners from their cages. They're not just there to steal like an average kobold or goblings: They're here to sabotage!
TheChosen cancels Mega-project: Too sane

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2011, 06:05:05 pm »

Maybe not just trap-avoid; They could disable traps and mechanics, open doors and bridges and release animals and prisoners from their cages. They're not just there to steal like an average kobold or goblings: They're here to sabotage!

Yeah. also, I bet they'd have a ball with the hatch protecting the fort from the candy men.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2011, 06:11:52 pm »

Shoot at them, put them on fire. Y'know, conventional spychecking. If they survive, well, they weren't spies. If they don't, guess what? They were spies!
This method is foolproof. There is no such thing as "friendly fire".
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4