Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: So, after loving DF Adventure Mode...  (Read 3725 times)

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
Re: So, after loving DF Adventure Mode...
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2011, 03:08:37 pm »

-snip of pure winawesomeness-
Wow. That is AMAZING!

Where may I obtain aforementioned game of exploding-death-everything?

I need to burn everything. NOW

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2011, 03:11:26 pm »

-snip of pure winawesomeness-
Wow. That is AMAZING!

Where may I obtain aforementioned game of exploding-death-everything?

I need to burn everything. NOW

http://www.attnam.com/. Good luck, and let us know how it went at the attnam forum!  ;)
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
  • Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2011, 07:28:34 pm »

It hasn't been released yet, but:

Ultima Ratio Regum

"Ultima Ratio Regum is an attempt to make a 'strategy
roguelike' with an emphasis on the intelligence and own objectives of the
AI, depth of combat (Dwarf Fortress style) and the complexity of the
environment. It has no fixed objective, and instead lets you do what you
will with each generated world."

That Ultima Ratio Regum game looks amazing so far!

Programmer of Ultima Ratio Regum here - thanks both, your comments are much appreciated : ). I noticed my site was getting attention from here, so thought I'd come and see what was causing it.

*Not* to hijack this thread, so I'll be brief - as a big fan of DF adventure mode, as mentioned above, I'm trying to create something similar, but with a lot more complexity involved in recruiting/maintaining allies than simply asking them, and more large-scale tactical options. I'm hoping to release the first alpha this year, and in a fortnight, I'm going to host a kind of big consultation on my blog (link, again, above) about what things people want me to focus on. Everyone is cordially invited : )

Anyway - that's all from me. IVAN is great.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2011, 05:58:49 am »

It hasn't been released yet, but:

Ultima Ratio Regum

"Ultima Ratio Regum is an attempt to make a 'strategy
roguelike' with an emphasis on the intelligence and own objectives of the
AI, depth of combat (Dwarf Fortress style) and the complexity of the
environment. It has no fixed objective, and instead lets you do what you
will with each generated world."

That Ultima Ratio Regum game looks amazing so far!

Programmer of Ultima Ratio Regum here - thanks both, your comments are much appreciated : ). I noticed my site was getting attention from here, so thought I'd come and see what was causing it.

*Not* to hijack this thread, so I'll be brief - as a big fan of DF adventure mode, as mentioned above, I'm trying to create something similar, but with a lot more complexity involved in recruiting/maintaining allies than simply asking them, and more large-scale tactical options. I'm hoping to release the first alpha this year, and in a fortnight, I'm going to host a kind of big consultation on my blog (link, again, above) about what things people want me to focus on. Everyone is cordially invited : )

Anyway - that's all from me. IVAN is great.

Wow. It's great to see you here :D

I really love the combat system in Dwarf Fortress and I'm sure I will love your game too. AI is very important in this kind of things and by looking at your blog I'm sure you'll nail it. Will morale affect your character as well? Like forcing the player character to run away for some turns or decreasing and increasing the chance to hit.

Wounds are very important too. Broken bones and severed limbs aren't the same thing after all.

I think you should start a new thread about your game and provide that link. There are a lot of experienced roguelike players and developers here. You will find their feedback useful.

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2011, 06:19:04 am »

My opinion:
Many may disagree with me, but i think that you should concentrate on the combat solely. Let's face it, there's no way you can catch up with DF in creating a living breathing and immerse world. The good news is that you don't have to, we don't need two dwarf fortresses, your project may end up as the most detailed fantasy combat simulator ever made. There's nothing like it, just make a scenario editor and concentrate on the combat. ...multiplayer may be awesome. Can you imagine turnbased-capture the flag-roguelike gameplay with DF style combat?

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2011, 06:36:12 am »

He's not trying to make another DF. DF is wideranging, ambitious, long term project. You will be able to do literally anything anywhere.

From the description in this thread, it looks like he's concentrating on the roguelike side as opposed to the invisible overseer side, which means a lot more of a focused game.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2011, 06:46:40 am »

DF is a whole another thing. Just because there is realistic combat doesn't mean it's going to be exactly like it. Also, in the adventuring mode of DF you don't have much to do.

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2011, 04:09:08 pm »

I really love the combat system in Dwarf Fortress and I'm sure I will love your game too. AI is very important in this kind of things and by looking at your blog I'm sure you'll nail it. Will morale affect your character as well? Like forcing the player character to run away for some turns or decreasing and increasing the chance to hit.

Wounds are very important too. Broken bones and severed limbs aren't the same thing after all.

I think you should start a new thread about your game and provide that link. There are a lot of experienced roguelike players and developers here. You will find their feedback useful.

I'm uncertain about morale effects for your character yet. I am leaning towards letting you have complete control, but I'm trying - as best as possible - to get the AI to mirror what a competent human should do when deciding to run, fight, regroup, etc. You will sometimes end up fleeing, and the AI is, in a way, designed to mirror whatever causes you to decide to leg it.

Oh, yeah, I've got wounds, broken limbs, and severed limbs, and varying degrees thereof. Been working on it tonight, too.

Would I be 'allowed' to do that? I mean, it would be great, but I've only just joined the forum, and I'm not sure if talking about what I'm doing rather than DF would be appropriate. However, as you know these forums, if you think it would be okay and wouldn't look obnoxiously egotistic, I will do just that : )

My opinion:
Many may disagree with me, but i think that you should concentrate on the combat solely. Let's face it, there's no way you can catch up with DF in creating a living breathing and immerse world. The good news is that you don't have to, we don't need two dwarf fortresses, your project may end up as the most detailed fantasy combat simulator ever made. There's nothing like it, just make a scenario editor and concentrate on the combat. ...multiplayer may be awesome. Can you imagine turnbased-capture the flag-roguelike gameplay with DF style combat?

The combat is the primary aim, though by 'combat', I include all different species, combat situations, siege weapons (potentially, eventually), mounted units, command structures of your army, managing those loyal to you, etc. The idea of a scenario editor is probably going to be closer to the initial alphas than the final product, though I think that could make a great alternate mode. The idea has given me a lot to think about, though...

He's not trying to make another DF. DF is wideranging, ambitious, long term project. You will be able to do literally anything anywhere.

From the description in this thread, it looks like he's concentrating on the roguelike side as opposed to the invisible overseer side, which means a lot more of a focused game.

Yep - you might end up overseeing a large force, but you're a VISIBLE, and potentially vulnerable, overseer. Additionally, your messages do not instantly permeate - you'll have to send out a rider, or put up a signal, to get your forces to respond how you want.

DF is a whole another thing. Just because there is realistic combat doesn't mean it's going to be exactly like it. Also, in the adventuring mode of DF you don't have much to do.

This is very true. Adventure Mode can seem like a world that is vast, and complex, but relatively lacking in opportunity. The map I'm working on is a lot smaller, but will be much more crowded with cities, towns, caves, whatever, and I hope to simply cram more to do into that space.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2011, 04:14:26 pm »

Can't wait for that alpha of yours to come out.

Also, don't be shy about posting your game here :P There are a fair few others who do so, and Toady doesn't seem to mind.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2011, 04:19:22 pm »

Would I be 'allowed' to do that? I mean, it would be great, but I've only just joined the forum, and I'm not sure if talking about what I'm doing rather than DF would be appropriate. However, as you know these forums, if you think it would be okay and wouldn't look obnoxiously egotistic, I will do just that : )

Sure! I know what you mean. I used to get that feeling while I was creating mods for Oblivion and posting them (another forum). But there are a lot of members who don't play DF and all of us are interested in roguelikes. This forum isn't only about DF. This forum is about roguelikes. This forum is about the universe. This forum is about the beginning and the end! (Okay not really)

Go ahead and post your game. You are not the first one :D
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 04:21:38 pm by Leatra »

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2011, 04:41:29 pm »

I'd say definitely make a URR thread, but you should probably post in a few more threads to shake the "Escaped Lunatic" title. I think it's only 10 posts to Bay Watcher, but there have been a couple instances of Lunatics advertising their stuff being treated with hostility. It's dumb but it happens. ::)

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2011, 05:26:07 pm »

IVAN is awesome, too bad it is abandoned. Unless that has changed lately?

Regarding roguelikes in general, lately I've been Dungeon Crawl and Prospector a lot. Neither of them have realistic combat, though. I like Incursion as well, mainly because you get right into action in it. Most roguelikes are very boring for the first levels, you get nothing done and same things just happen all over again. Incursion lands you right in the thick of it from the start.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2011, 05:35:20 pm »

Never tried IVAN yet, is there any way to play it ASCII?

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2011, 01:08:42 am »

IVAN is awesome, too bad it is abandoned. Unless that has changed lately?

It hasn't changed, and probably won't. But there are a lot of fan-made variants out there, some of which offer a lot of new content, and I know of two more 'in the works'. Check attnam.com, download section.
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2011, 05:49:43 am »

@ Dsarker, Leatra, and Biag - well, in that case, I will make a thread in a few days. Thanks for the advice  :)

I'd say definitely make a URR thread, but you should probably post in a few more threads to shake the "Escaped Lunatic" title. I think it's only 10 posts to Bay Watcher, but there have been a couple instances of Lunatics advertising their stuff being treated with hostility. It's dumb but it happens. ::)

Warning appreciated - I will make sure to resolve this first!

And yeah, IVAN seems long abandoned (which is a damned shame), and I don't think there's a way to play it ASCII without big changes to the code. Unless I'm being slow and missing something obvious...

Pages: 1 [2] 3