Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: So, after loving DF Adventure Mode...  (Read 3731 times)

Patomago

• Bay Watcher
  • Where the ineptitude becomes apparent
    • View Profile
So, after loving DF Adventure Mode...
« on: September 23, 2011, 02:09:44 pm »

... I tried to get into the roguelike genre, because I was somewhat tired of the possibilities (outside of combat) that the current version of DF offers. I'm a complete illiterate on this matters, but I had read about a game called ADOM and decided to try it out. After reading through the manual and actually creating a PC, though, I faced the sad truth... the combat seemed so bland to me, so void. "You hit and slay x, x misses you, you are losing blood!, you die". And I wondered, where could I find a roguelike with a combat system as superb as DF, but with more adventuring possibilities? Could anyone help me with this?

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
Re: So, after loving DF Adventure Mode...
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 02:37:11 pm »

... I tried to get into the roguelike genre, because I was somewhat tired of the possibilities (outside of combat) that the current version of DF offers. I'm a complete illiterate on this matters, but I had read about a game called ADOM and decided to try it out. After reading through the manual and actually creating a PC, though, I faced the sad truth... the combat seemed so bland to me, so void. "You hit and slay x, x misses you, you are losing blood!, you die". And I wondered, where could I find a roguelike with a combat system as superb as DF, but with more adventuring possibilities? Could anyone help me with this?
There is only one equal.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 02:49:31 pm »

Cataclysm is pretty good I think.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 02:54:44 pm »

Unreal World comes relatively close, though the downside is that it costs.

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 03:46:09 pm »

Unreal World comes relatively close, though the downside is that it costs.
UW also has extremely little to do after the initial setup of your home.  Or successful equipment gathering.  I once found a metal breastplate and was rendered nigh invincible.

Also it takes forever to do anything... anything at all.

Cataclysm is awesome though.
If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 04:43:45 pm »

I tried Unreal World for a while. I found that the best way to get food was to offer your services as an amateur axe-wielding neurosurgeon to travelers in exchange for their rations. I got bored fast.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 04:52:52 pm »

I was terribly bored with ADOM. I don't think I understood it, either. DF Adventure Mode seems to be very similar, just with more combat-wise.

I've found NetHack to be really entertaining. Really, really entertaining. It's not much like DF Adventure Mode, but if you like one, you may very well like the other. Combat isn't special; it's more about exploration and finding cool stuff. The different classes and everything are fun as well. You also die a lot, like in DF, if that helps.

If you haven't played the DF 40d Adventure Mode, you should do so. It's a very different experience, and while not as polished, it's pretty fun. Combat, while lacking in aimed attacks, has much more amusement in accidents. Just don't lose any body parts; you'll probably die.

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 04:58:43 pm »

I'll recommend what I usually recommend: IVAN. It's a great roguelike, has simple but clear graphics (I know, that's some kind of treason), and has a solid fighting system including body part hp and contracting lepra from getting bit by a zombie. Not to mention throwing acid bottles at your opponent, dropping banana peels, bear traps, or land mines behind you, or breaking your empty wand of fireballs while praying your ring of fire resistance holds. Oh, yes, there's praying too. And, of course, like most roguelikes, it's free.
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2011, 08:52:43 pm »

I was terribly bored with ADOM. I don't think I understood it, either.
I can see becoming bored, but as for the second part: get into dungeons, kill stuff, save the world, but not the cheerleader. What's not to understand? Anything that's an * is a dungeon, BTW, if that was that part where you got stuck.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2011, 09:11:49 pm »

I'll recommend what I usually recommend: IVAN. It's a great roguelike, has simple but clear graphics (I know, that's some kind of treason), and has a solid fighting system including body part hp and contracting lepra from getting bit by a zombie. Not to mention throwing acid bottles at your opponent, dropping banana peels, bear traps, or land mines behind you, or breaking your empty wand of fireballs while praying your ring of fire resistance holds. Oh, yes, there's praying too. And, of course, like most roguelikes, it's free.

You forgot the bit where you can turn your arms into banana flesh. Or glass. Or some kind of metal. Now I feel like playing a few rounds of IVAN :P
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2011, 09:16:40 pm »

It hasn't been released yet, but:

Ultima Ratio Regum

"Ultima Ratio Regum is an attempt to make a 'strategy
roguelike' with an emphasis on the intelligence and own objectives of the
AI, depth of combat (Dwarf Fortress style) and the complexity of the
environment. It has no fixed objective, and instead lets you do what you
will with each generated world."
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 09:19:18 pm by Gatleos »
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2011, 06:23:56 pm »

I understand what you mean. I first got into roguelikes because of DF and it's combat system. Combat is really realistic in DF but you don't have much chocies with adventuring. Unfortunately, there aren't much games with good combat system. Most of the roguelikes follow the "you attack. you miss. goblin hits you. you take 5 damage. you die" way. In some roguelikes you have HPs for each part of your body (like Cataclysm) but that's it. DF is the only game where you can destroy a random dude's sensory system.

I understand why you didn't like ADOM too. Roguelikes will get pretty boring after all that dungeon-crawling. In most roguelike games you just go x levels deep into a dungeon. You should try out different types of roguelikes. Unreal World's combat system is pretty good but there isn't much fightning in the game.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2011, 11:14:54 pm »

IVAN is HILARIOUS. I was once carrying a wand of polymorph, and was super happy that I had just found a pickaxe. now I can break down a few walls and get to the really far stairs more easily. So what do I do? I break down a room's wall, of course! Except on the other side was a lantern hanging from the wall, which fell to the ground, and broke, and the oil ignited, and there was fire all over. I catch on fire, and my stuff catches on fire! I was pretty hurt. One of the things that catches on fire is the wand of polymorph, which breaks and turns me into a wounded bunny or hedgehog or whatever it was. My stuff continues burning and exploding, but after a while I am still alive... barely! I am badly burned, almost dead, can't wield or wear anything due to the lack of arms and torso, BUT I'M ALIVE! Let us explore the depths of the dunge... oh, a magpie! It pecks me, and I die.

Another time I was travelling happily along the second (dwarven) dungeon. Now, in this game, dwarves tend to have the "kamikaze" adjective appended to them, and are quite fond of explosions. Particularly, they like landmines. Still, I had a ring of fire protection, so I felt relatively safe, despite not having the favour of any gods. I was walking around searching every couple of steps to make sure I wasn't going to step on anything when suddenly, I step on a landmine. My character is engulfed in a MASSIVE explosion, and once again, stuff starts breaking and catching on fire. I think the first explosion took away one of my arms, and damaged me to the brink of oblivion. Then my potions heat up and start exploding, meaning nothing's gonna heal me, then my food, then my equipment, my cape... everything is burning around me. I shakily read the messages from the log, one by one. Each announces a new item that overheated and burned or exploded, taking another piece of my already charred flesh with it. My HP is dropping steadily, message by message... there goes my potion of troll blood... my cape... the wand of fireballs explodes, taking one of my legs, then a wand of door creation. I am now down to two limbs (one hand, one arm)... then go my boots... At this point I'm not even looking at the fire and explosions engulfing me, I'm just reading the messages and pressing space very very carefully. I fully expect to die as I press space for the last time... and nothing happens! I survived! Somehow, with half my limbs, the tatters of my previous equipment hanging from my body, and no HP to spare. I'm hanging by a thread, but by the glory of Valpurus, I am still alive! I look around, and blink groggily. What is that? It looks like I'm surrounded by doors... it looks safe... I fall asleep, to regain my health. I wake up with a healthy appetite, ready to meet the dungeon with my one arm and one leg. I push open a door. It doesn't open. I push open another door. It doesn't open. Hm. I push them all, but nothing happens. I try to kick it, but remember I'm missing one leg. Crap. My food... I look around, but no food has survived the raging inferno. Crap. I can't pray, because no god likes me enough to give me new limbs, I can't open the magical doors, and they simply won't break down with my feeble attempts at one-leg kicking. Days later, that was the end of me, starving, after having survived one of the massivest explosions ever generator by dwarf and man...

So, those are the kinds of stories you might expect if you play IVAN enough :P It's a really nice game, and you can lose limbs, get new limbs, and all sorts of interesting interactions can happen :) IVAN doesn't have character levels, so the more you use something, the better you get at it. That's why some people use banana peels to train their flails skills - they don't do any damage, so you can hit monsters all you want :P

I'm not particularly fond of Nethack or ADOM. You might want to look at Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup. Plenty of variety, and VERY tactical play. Plus, whereas in nethack you level your skills like, once in a lifetime or two, in Dungeon Crawl they level up as you use them. Despite the more organic levelling of skills, you also level up the character, get more hitpoints, etc. I really like this one.

Cataclysm is also awesome.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2011, 02:38:37 pm »

I'm looking for a game with complex and realistic combat system as well. Anyone know any?

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2011, 03:02:13 pm »

That Ultima Ratio Regum game looks amazing so far!
Pages: [1] 2 3