Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Most valuabe 1-bar item made of gold?  (Read 2955 times)

Keltiknight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Most valuabe 1-bar item made of gold?
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2011, 04:20:27 pm »

Of course, in the end I value cloth crafts.  A master weave, master dye, master constructed craft get you like 780☼ x3 because cloth crafts come in threes.  That's some 11,000☼-ish profit from a stack of 5 pig tails and 5 dimple cups, assuming 26% masterpiece rate, and you can produce those in insanely large bulk numbers with infinite renewability.  (actually, it's less than 11k, because full masterwork cloth crafts occur something like 1.7% of the time, but eh, you get the idea).

How do you set up your textile industry? How many dwarves, workshops, etc.?

I personally, to start out, have two dwarves for it (Not counting farmers to grow pig tails, and maybe a suicidal dwarf in caverns daring dwarf collecting webs,) one to weave and thresh, one to make stuff out of said cloth, and use dyes when I have enough cloth/leather/whatever bags made to hold it all. You need Four workshops to do textiles, a farmer workshop, to thresh the pig tails into thread, a loom to gather webs/weave cloth, a dyers workshop, (Which needs a bucket and barrel) and clothiers workshop, not too hard to start up, especially if you get lucky with migrants and get a legendary clothier, weaver, or dyer. Another use, is that you never lack thread and cloth for doctors.
First things first.  You're all soulless husks of what might have once been decent human beings, drafted into a sort of moral apartheid from your better natures in the pursuit of things made out of cute animals.  I love it.-Corvidae

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2011, 05:02:41 pm »

I have 3 dedicated dwarves and a bunch of serfs.  The dedicated (sometimes 6 of them) are a weaver, dyer, and clothier.  They each do this job in specific and have all other labors disabled.  My serfs all have plant processing and milling enabled, and then my farmers are a default job that a fort always has.  If you get things going, with ~200 bags, 100 pig tails, 100 dimple cups, and 100 dyed cloth, then you can reliably set all jobs to /R and it will run forever.  Of course I handle surface plants mostly, so I have a 3x3 farm plots, one for rope reed and one for blade weed, set to all year around, supporting my cloth addiction.  I can very reasonably give the caravan 100k every year, more once skills get up and stockpiles are in use.  Workshop clutter helps regulate the flow of materials.  For the bags (I end up with 500+) I usually resort to leather because it's cheap from the caravans.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2011, 05:18:05 pm »

It's interesting, I've never been one for the cloth industry, instead turning all plants into food and booze, with an abandoned clothier's shop in my crafts row in case a clothmaking mood pops up  -- I grab a few units of fiber, wool, and silk cloth every time traders come through, so no problems there.  After all, dwarves aren't good about wearing new clothes, and the nonmetal side of goblinite serves those who do (any?) just fine.  As for trade? I can regularly give all three caravans a k or so of profit every year with nothing but stone crafts and "large" nonmetal goblinite (troll wear).  Yes, elves do trade with my fortresses and escape not only with their lives, but a profit: it gets ☼junk☼ off my map and encourages them to bring more wood and booze next year.  I like to think of it as elf farming, combined with garbage removal.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2011, 05:23:56 pm »

I also have the most stylish hospital, with dwarves regularly bragging about their new bright green 'cloths' covering their bleeding arms and lungs.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2011, 06:16:18 pm »

I can't wait for Toady to fix the whole "Dwarves never wear new clothes" bug.  When it is fixed, my entire fort will be stylin'.
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2011, 06:19:04 pm »

Mine usually is anyways.  I group my special laborers into squads, and have them wear special clothing.  Usually my metalsmiths and gem encrusters get cheap armor with a colored robe/dress/hood, and my farmers get robes of another color, and so on.  It also helps to keep my expensive dwarves armored, in case of tantrum.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2011, 06:26:42 pm »

I might try that.. :P
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

ulan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2011, 06:47:29 pm »

I have 3 dedicated dwarves and a bunch of serfs.  The dedicated (sometimes 6 of them) are a weaver, dyer, and clothier.  They each do this job in specific and have all other labors disabled.  My serfs all have plant processing and milling enabled, and then my farmers are a default job that a fort always has.  If you get things going, with ~200 bags, 100 pig tails, 100 dimple cups, and 100 dyed cloth, then you can reliably set all jobs to /R and it will run forever.  Of course I handle surface plants mostly, so I have a 3x3 farm plots, one for rope reed and one for blade weed, set to all year around, supporting my cloth addiction.  I can very reasonably give the caravan 100k every year, more once skills get up and stockpiles are in use.  Workshop clutter helps regulate the flow of materials.  For the bags (I end up with 500+) I usually resort to leather because it's cheap from the caravans.

Hmm, whats the most efficient cloth item, tunics or something?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2011, 06:57:18 pm »

Bags, ropes, and crafts, because all cloth wearables are clothing items and get claimed.  I can pump out cloth crafts worth hundreds of thousands in a year, mainly because they're produced 3 per job.  Ropes are fine too, as you can make an endless stream of ropes, put the masterworks in a noble's room for value, and sell the imperfections.  I do enjoy cloaks and hoods though, I usually deck my military in fine cloth.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2011, 07:06:07 pm »

I also have the most stylish hospital, with dwarves regularly bragging about their new bright green 'cloths' covering their bleeding arms and lungs.

Bah.

My hospital:
 Walls/Floors plated with billon (I know it ain't white - used for contrast against the furniture)
 Silver Tables, Tower-Cap beds, Silver Traction Benches
 Silver/Fine Pewter cabinets and chests
 GSC Silk bags/cloth/thread.
 Towercap splints, crutches.
 All of that in a circle around the center, which is a clear area with a goblin-cap + in the floor.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2011, 07:48:12 pm »

Goblin cap?  GOBLIN CAP?

What's wrong with magma on the z below, shining through grates, warming your hospital with its glory?   Okay, probably the FPS hit from the pump-stack to get it there, but I digress.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2011, 08:14:59 pm »

Bah, real dwarves use adamantine thread and cloth in the hospital, and everywhere else for that matter.
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2011, 10:52:05 pm »

Thanks for the tips on the textile industry. I think i will plan to start it up in my fort in about a year.
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2011, 11:10:21 pm »

And apparently, being a thresher or miller is a great way to train for the military, as it raises strength, endurance, and toughness!  I'd highly suggest having a cluttered farmer's workshop, because it's been proven that the time spent on a job raises attributes more than the total number of jobs.  So clutter up a farmer's shop with thread, and watch your thresher get great attributes!

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2011, 11:12:02 am »

I thought I read on the wiki once that such things are only increased by military dealings? Is that not the case?

Does mean I should've kept that very weak crossbow-captain pumping for a longer time...  ::)
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Pages: 1 [2] 3