Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Siege operators run away in fear  (Read 2745 times)

Marsunpaistii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Siege operators run away in fear
« on: September 22, 2011, 05:04:32 pm »

I set up a ballista based defense system for my fortress but I noticed that the operators run away in fear when they see enemies. How do I make them stop this? I tried [Nofear] modding and also tried to assign the dwarves to squads but no success.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
Re: Siege operators run away in fear
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 05:07:05 pm »

siege operators are civillians, not military, so they will flee from enemies.  Design your ballista batteries to obliterate at long range (the biggest advantage of siege weapons anyway), ideally from behind some fortifications, or with a moat to keep the enemy from getting too close
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 05:07:23 pm »

You don't.  The only way to prevent the siege operators from running away is to stop the goblins from getting close to them.  If you can keep the goblins further than about 25 tiles away, the siege operators won't run.  Or, if you can somehow arrangel to blind all your siege operators that will probably let them work without running away.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 05:09:54 pm »

Well, you could always try to remove their eyes.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

gomwon

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Overseer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 05:14:38 pm »

Well, you could always try to remove their eyes.

Danger rooms are good at that. They always seem to poke the eyes out. But, you also want to make the bolts hit the enemy.

http://twitter.com/#!/Gompasta for Dwarf Fortress Tweetspam.

wrwr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 05:16:41 pm »

Blinding them might have an unwanted side effect.

http://www.mkv25.net/dfma/movie-24-lightningtheblindcrossbowchampion

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 05:22:02 pm »

AFAIK being blind doesn't change the accuracy of using siege weapons. You can still order them around and have them fight fine as melee soldiers, too.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

geail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 10:15:24 pm »

Blindness is the best thing you can do for siege operators.  As has been said, they stop running in fear and maintain their accuracy.