Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Working on my plumbing...  (Read 1236 times)

Hobbie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Working on my plumbing...
« on: September 22, 2011, 04:20:38 pm »

And I don't want my wells to flood my fortress. At the bottom of the cistern, if I build like this in the cistern, will it stop water pressure from flowing upwards?
~ is water
# would be walls
O is the well shaft

~ # ~
  ~ #O# ~
   ~  # ~

Also, any good suggestions on how to irrigate a giant underground farm patch? (Probably like 70x30)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 04:22:19 pm by Hobbie »

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
Re: Working on my plumbing...
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 04:27:01 pm »

Water pressure cannot flow diagonally, so you should be safe (pah, safety) with that design.
As for irrigating a large area, a controlled water flow (with floodgates/doors/whatever) from a river or something would work.  Just dig out an area that will hold all the water you need (plus some extra to account for evaporation), connect it to both the water source and the farm are, seal it off at both ends with floodgates, and you're good to go.  At least, that's how I would do it.  I'm sure there are many, more dwarven ways of going at it.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

ohgoditburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 04:34:55 pm »

Yeah. I do this all the time.

Code: [Select]
▒▒▒▒▒
▒▒~▒▒
▒~▒▲▒
▒▒~▒▒
▒▒▒▒▒

Where the ramp goes up and up until it hits an aquifer.
The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 04:48:13 pm »

That design would work, as long as your well is 1 deep.  However deep it is, you need a "pillar" or diagonal passes that deep, otherwise it will flood up from the bottom.  A well 2 deep will prevent the "muddy water" issue and improve healthcare.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 04:51:47 pm »

When I read the title, I thought this would be another "How do dwarves reproduce" thread  :P

ohgoditburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 05:00:08 pm »

That design would work, as long as your well is 1 deep.  However deep it is, you need a "pillar" or diagonal passes that deep, otherwise it will flood up from the bottom.  A well 2 deep will prevent the "muddy water" issue and improve healthcare.

Code: [Select]
▒▒▒▒▒
▒▒~▒▒
▒▼▒▲▒
▒▒~▒▒
▒▒▒▒▒

Well over the downramp. Simple fix?
The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 05:07:28 pm »

I make my small cisterns as a 3x3 area channeled out (so 2z deep) with the center tile of that channeled again (so the center is 3z deep).

The well is above the center.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.