Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 39

Author Topic: CERN has accidentally the everything.  (Read 63955 times)

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
Re: CERN has accidentally the everything.
« Reply #330 on: November 18, 2011, 03:57:41 pm »

Yea, you dont need relativity unless you are dealing with the very big or very fast. SImilarly you dont need quantum unless you deal with the very small or very close. So in all probability should these measurements pass further scrutiny and move beyond doubt (some way to go there though), all that will happen is a specialized theory to explain the behavour will be developed which probably wont reconcile with quantum mechanics or relativity, making it even harder for those of us working in Physics to come up with a GUT (grand unified theory)...

Any explanation won't be an explanation until it reconciles with both classical and quantum mechanics, as well as special relativity. It would basically be saying "A wizard did it".

Well...hate to break it to you...

That is how a lot of physics works. It's not so much why it works, but how it works.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: November 18, 2011, 03:58:17 pm »

Why isn't anything supposed to move faster than light anyway?  :-X

Actually, Tachyons travel faster than light. In fact, they should NEVER travel slower than the speed of light, because that causes all sorts of Physics-related paradoxical things to occur.
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: November 18, 2011, 04:04:20 pm »

Yea, you dont need relativity unless you are dealing with the very big or very fast. SImilarly you dont need quantum unless you deal with the very small or very close. So in all probability should these measurements pass further scrutiny and move beyond doubt (some way to go there though), all that will happen is a specialized theory to explain the behavour will be developed which probably wont reconcile with quantum mechanics or relativity, making it even harder for those of us working in Physics to come up with a GUT (grand unified theory)...

Any explanation won't be an explanation until it reconciles with both classical and quantum mechanics, as well as special relativity. It would basically be saying "A wizard did it".

That is how a lot of physics works. It's not so much why it works, but how it works.

Yea, us Physicist dont claim to have any absolute truths, just a bunch of mathematical systems that explain various isolated parts of the universe, some of which overlap due to commonality in cause or mechanism. The "miracle" bit is that we have deveoped the set of tools that we have in order to evaluate the systems we can understand. We may not have any idea about how gravity actually works, but the fact we can model it with some pretty awesome accuracy and precision is a wonder. The problem of that we dont get quite why gravity works does not make the system of models at our disposal any less valid. Most people dont understand the internal combustion engine but can still drive one...
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 04:06:07 pm by MonkeyHead »
This is a blank sig.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: November 18, 2011, 04:07:54 pm »

Most people dont understand the internal combustion engine but can still drive one...
Speak for yourself.

Also, who else is hoping for FTL travel within the next few decades/centuries?

Miggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: November 18, 2011, 04:08:12 pm »

No.

One of the very, very first and strictest requirements of all of the wacko theories are always that they must reconcile with what we already know. Quantum mechanics are weird and far out, but when you give things enough mass, and realistic potentials, it becomes newtonian mechanics. The difference between the two becomes indistinguishable. The same with special relativity, it is only possible to observe the consequences at speeds close to the speed of light. When you slow down, the difference from classical is too small to notice.

If a theory can explain things moving faster than the speed of light, but disproves things we can observe to be right, then the theory must be wrong. The theory has to account for all off the evidence, not just this specific instance. It has to explain not just why things can move faster than the speed of light, but also why we were fooled into thinking it shouldn't be able to.

To be honest, a solution to this problem ought to bring physicists closer to a GUT, not further away.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: November 18, 2011, 04:13:50 pm »

Most people dont understand the internal combustion engine but can still drive one...
Speak for yourself.

I'm not too keen on becoming a neutrino though, I like interacting with the rest of the world too much for that.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: November 18, 2011, 04:15:23 pm »

Miggy, hasn't QM failed to reconcile with SR, though?

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: November 18, 2011, 04:17:43 pm »

No need to Abandon relativity. The issue is that is needs to be FIXED, and we don't yet know enough to coherently do so.
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: November 18, 2011, 04:26:42 pm »

Speak for yourself.

I'm not too keen on becoming a neutrino though, I like interacting with the rest of the world too much for that.
We don't have to become neutrinos. We just have to determine the property that lets them go faster than light and find a way to apply that to normal matter. Or we could just skip the whole FTL thing and work on expanding Quantum Entanglement range to the point that it is commercially viable.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Miggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: November 18, 2011, 04:29:27 pm »

I... Don't think so? I'll admit that I'm a chemist and not a physicist, so I haven't delved so deep into quantum mechanics or special relativity that I know them in and out, but The Dirac Equation is, to my understanding, special relativity applied to quantum mechanics, which yielded explanations for unsolved matters, for instance the atomic spin.

I don't know if either theory directly predicts the other. I guess that if you assume the Dirac equation is true (which we do because of the consistency with observations), the only way to formulate it would be by using the relativistic models, which would then lead onto relativity.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: November 18, 2011, 04:34:17 pm »

Speak for yourself.

We don't have to become neutrinos. We just have to determine the property that lets them go faster than light and find a way to apply that to normal matter. Or we could just skip the whole FTL thing and work on expanding Quantum Entanglement range to the point that it is commercially viable.
What if their tendency to ignore 99.99999% of all mater is intrinsically linked to their FTL-ness?

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: November 18, 2011, 04:35:01 pm »

Then I can start with ignoring every single one of you and rush towards Proxima Centauri, right? :P

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: November 18, 2011, 04:41:50 pm »

Very much this. Electricity and magnetism are unified into the electromagnetic force. This has been unified with the strong and weak forces. However, there is NO real workable way to get gravitiational force into the same mathematical framework. Einstien went to his grave seeking this, and Hawking has been trying for years.

Stuff...

IMHO, you have a few things not quite right. Quantum mechanics doesnt become Newtonian dynamics which doesnt become relativity - basically at one scale one set of tools works better than another set, and at another scale both work with similar levels of accuracy. Neither one or other set of equations is more true than the other and neither one nor another represents the actual rules the universe runs on, just a model that we use to make predictions about the future state of the universe with varying degrees of success. All three clearly work for thier intended purpose, which is to explain particular behaviours. The fact that quanta and relativity dont reconcile is not really admissable for either being wrong on the grounds that they arent absolute truth.

One of the very, very first and strictest requirements of all of the wacko theories are always that they must reconcile with what we already know.

I shall assume you know of the Michelson-Morley Experiment. I apologise if I have spelt thier names wrong. Remember, everyone KNEW there was an ether. Everyone. A "wacko" theory can stand alone if needs be. Chemists need not use string or M-theory. Nasa need not use MOND. Protons et al used to be indivisible. "Wacko" results are wonderful as they encourage new models to emerge which can be different to existing frameworks if needs be. If they can be incorporated into what we can already model, great. If not, then until "better" models emerge, then in a box of thier own they must remain.

I... Don't think so? I'll admit that I'm a chemist and not a physicist, so I haven't delved so deep into quantum mechanics or special relativity that I know them in and out, but The Dirac Equation is, to my understanding, special relativity applied to quantum mechanics, which yielded explanations for unsolved matters, for instance the atomic spin.

I don't know if either theory directly predicts the other. I guess that if you assume the Dirac equation is true (which we do because of the consistency with observations), the only way to formulate it would be by using the relativistic models, which would then lead onto relativity.

For pretty much hydrogen, yes. We have that worked out. But thats not much more than a proton/electron isnt it. It cant really be applied to more complex atomic systems (in particular, things that arent spin 1/2... which is why it works so well with an electron or positron). One result in the form of a specific and specialized equation cant be said to be unification.
This is a blank sig.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: November 18, 2011, 04:45:16 pm »

What if their tendency to ignore 99.99999% of all matter is intrinsically linked to their FTL-ness?
Then we will find another way.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: November 18, 2011, 04:56:04 pm »

Maybe we will now be forced to move from special relativity to.... Special special relativity? VIP relativity? :P
Well it was originally just "relativity" until Einstein realised that what he'd made was just a special case of a more general idea, which he expanded on and named "general relativity", I thought (special relativity being the stuff I've looked at since it's easier :P).
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 39