Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 39

Author Topic: CERN has accidentally the everything.  (Read 63885 times)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: CERN has accidentally the everything.
« Reply #120 on: September 23, 2011, 10:31:36 am »

Quote from: RedKing
3. Particle physics make my tiny brain go ouchie.

Sigged.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 23, 2011, 11:19:15 am »

Quote from: RedKing
3. Particle physics make my tiny brain go ouchie.

Sigged.

Sigged as well.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 23, 2011, 11:50:52 am »

So, when I first read about this, I was like, okay, so why is this valuable at all? I'm like a severe layman, so my science talk crap may be wrong, but...

Neutrinos have Small but Non-Zero mass, right? The key word here being small.
So you really don't have any ability to generate thrust with them. We are still restricted to the speed of light.

Then I thought about it and the wave collapse function, and any practical use. It is worthless to send data, but it can provide data compression or definition to data based on "pulses" in the combination of the light streams. You still have light speed communication since the data requires the contact of the lightstreams, but you can then execute Morris code sort of data transmission, providing possibly the ability to ride additional data down the "pipe" or send a different kind of data compression on that basis. Pretty worthless, but there might be some kind of application in a informational sort of way for data compression. I don't think it'll ever be worthwhile to do so, but I won't rule it out.

This put me on the mind of communication though. Neutrinos come in multiple flavors, which this experiment was supposed to do a little discovery about.
Assuming superluminal neutrino speed is possible, and that there is a way to determine what flavor of nutrino we have arriving at a long distance, and that it is expected of any civilized race who survives the development of the Nuclear Age to know this information, what does it mean for extraterrestrial communication?
We may not be seeing any extraterrestrial intelligent communication because perhaps Radio Waves isn't the way it's done!

So yea, there's my crackpot theory out of this. It'll be proven wrong soon, but it was fun to come up with it :)
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #123 on: September 23, 2011, 12:45:59 pm »

Neutrinos go faster than light. So put a big old tank in Paris and one in LA, then put emitters in both places, pump the bitstream through the emitters, and walla, no more light speed lag. If they're really going at 25 million C, then we could talk to Alpha Centauri in 5.5 seconds.

I'd call that a practical use.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 23, 2011, 12:57:54 pm »

You mean voila, right?

Also, this thread is relevant to mah interests.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 23, 2011, 01:12:04 pm »

Neutrinos go faster than light. So put a big old tank in Paris and one in LA, then put emitters in both places, pump the bitstream through the emitters, and walla, no more light speed lag. If they're really going at 25 million C, then we could talk to Alpha Centauri in 5.5 seconds.

I'd call that a practical use.
Don't know where the 25 million figure snuck into things. Everything I've been reading says closer to 1.0000048c. So we could talk to Alpha Centauri maybe 10 minutes faster than light-speed communication.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 23, 2011, 01:14:03 pm »

So, it would still take us 4 years and some months. Better than we have now.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 23, 2011, 01:15:12 pm »

So, it would still take us 4 years and some months. Better than we have now.
Yeah, but not by much. And the technology required is massively more complicated than a radio-wave transmitter/receiver.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #128 on: September 23, 2011, 02:12:12 pm »

Communication potential is nothing next to computation. Set up a 32- or 64-channel transmitter on Earth and somewhere else far away, hook it up to a computer (required speed depends on how much of a gap you have), use it to pass steps in an equation back and forth until finished. Instant answers to everything. Problem, entropy?
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 23, 2011, 02:31:45 pm »

The problem is that it would then spit out 42 to whatever you asked. No, that won't do at all.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 23, 2011, 02:35:54 pm »

Or even give you the answers to questions you hadnt even asked yet, meaning that then to prevent the unverse dissapearing up its own asshole you would have to ask a question specifically to get the answer you had already been given. Techincally, this means that the machine would be controlling the unvierse, and I for one welcome our new FTL machine overlords.
This is a blank sig.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 23, 2011, 02:37:09 pm »

Maybe CERN just increased the speed of light. Somehow. Someone should probably go measure some light and make sure that isn't the case.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 23, 2011, 02:41:11 pm »

Maybe CERN just increased the speed of light. Somehow. Someone should probably go measure some light and make sure that isn't the case.
I just did. It's still really fast.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 23, 2011, 02:42:21 pm »

You can do that yourself, if you have a GPS. If it's suddenly off, then we accidentally the entire speed of light. I doubt it is though :P
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 23, 2011, 02:42:36 pm »

Idea that I might have to go away and look at in more detail...

Neutrinos moving faster than c... according to relativity, wouldnt this make thier mass a lot more than it "should be"? If so, does this make them possibly contribute to dark matter? Probably not all of it, but still, there is a lot of them out there.
This is a blank sig.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 39