Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 39

Author Topic: CERN has accidentally the everything.  (Read 63943 times)

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
Re: CERN has accidentally the everything.
« Reply #75 on: September 22, 2011, 08:40:38 pm »

The thing is though, the name itself is misleading. Everyone hears 'speed' and assumes that then it only matters when you have things going fast. It doesn't. Basic, basic things like electron energy levels (which govern the chemistry that we see every day, the chemistry that lets us see!) depend on c. The value for it is exceedingly well known. If it was different, life wouldn't exist, at least as we know it.

This isn't that; what it demonstrates is that neutrinos have some method of violating the speed limit, which should be impossible. It says a lot that one of the most sensible theories to explain this (beyond experimental error) is that neutrinos can effectively leave our universe temporarily.

It's unlikely btw that we will actually be able to harness this to travel FTL ourselves, as it seems to be neutrinos only (they don't really stick together). That said, FTL communication may be possible if this is true.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 22, 2011, 08:41:33 pm »

Okay, so, I've got one question about this:
Is it possible that the "speed of light", as we know it, simply... isn't?

What if there IS a maximum speed, and all the things we believe about it hold, but for some reason light can't actually reach it, even in a vacuum?

And Neutrinos, for whatever reason, can either reach it or get closer.

What implications would that have on things? I mean, clearly we have situations where light travels, on average, slower than c - how did we come to decide THIS was the maximum we were seeking?
Here's why we know what C is.

Things accelerate linearly, at least from the perspective of the thing that's accelerating. So, if you're accelerating at 5m/s/s, you'll continue going 5m/s faster forever. (EDIT: I'm ignoring space constricting for the sake of simplicity; it's mathematically identical anyway)
However, from the perspective of an observer, you will eventually appear to be accelerating slower and slower. Soon enough, you look to be accelerating at 4m/s, then 3, then 2, etc.

Extrapolate, and you'll see that things will always appear to stop accelerating at C. That's why it's the "universal speed limit."
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 08:46:55 pm by kaijyuu »
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 22, 2011, 08:46:49 pm »

so he was right
“Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.”
 Terry Pratchett
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 22, 2011, 08:47:34 pm »

the second implies the existence of a 'universal spacetime'.
Uh-huh.  I put it in quotes.

"Universal" = Observer, for all intents and purposes -- we're implying that this entire thing is being observed, by the fact that we're talking about it, so we're using the time relative to US (the observers) as the point of reference.
Universal = Universal

Even so, that doesn't make my statement less correct, it just means you're taking things too literally.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 22, 2011, 08:54:22 pm »

Wouldn't breaking c be like breaking mach, but with light instead of sound?

When mach is broken, all of the sound created/reflected after the break hits any observer at the same moment.

If someone broke c, wouldn't that just mean that all of the light created/reflected after the break would hit an observer at the same moment (likely in a blinding flash, if they couldn't just see every point between the break and the moment of "impact"?)
Nothing important here, move along.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 22, 2011, 09:39:38 pm »

Okay, so, I've got one question about this:
Is it possible that the "speed of light", as we know it, simply... isn't?

What if there IS a maximum speed, and all the things we believe about it hold, but for some reason light can't actually reach it, even in a vacuum?

And Neutrinos, for whatever reason, can either reach it or get closer.

What implications would that have on things? I mean, clearly we have situations where light travels, on average, slower than c - how did we come to decide THIS was the maximum we were seeking?
Here's why we know what C is.

Things accelerate linearly, at least from the perspective of the thing that's accelerating. So, if you're accelerating at 5m/s/s, you'll continue going 5m/s faster forever. (EDIT: I'm ignoring space constricting for the sake of simplicity; it's mathematically identical anyway)
However, from the perspective of an observer, you will eventually appear to be accelerating slower and slower. Soon enough, you look to be accelerating at 4m/s, then 3, then 2, etc.

Extrapolate, and you'll see that things will always appear to stop accelerating at C. That's why it's the "universal speed limit."
...Soo, basically like how we know what the absolute lowest temperature is by measuring the speed of the atom... parts... (Damn language not being sameular to mine) Except with acceleration?
Love, scriver~

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 22, 2011, 10:50:31 pm »

The official paper for the experiments is up

http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1109/1109.4897.pdf

I think the final paragraph of their conclusion is also a good point to post

Despite the large significance of the measurement reported here and the stability of the
analysis, the potentially great impact of the result motivates the continuation of our studies in
order to investigate possible still unknown systematic effects that could explain the observed
anomaly. We deliberately do not attempt any theoretical or phenomenological interpretation of
the results.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

LostCosmonaut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 22, 2011, 10:55:23 pm »

When mach is broken, all of the sound created/reflected after the break hits any observer at the same moment.

If someone broke c, wouldn't that just mean that all of the light created/reflected after the break would hit an observer at the same moment (likely in a blinding flash, if they couldn't just see every point between the break and the moment of "impact"?)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherenkov_radiation

You're probably thinking of this. It is somewhat analogous to a sonic boom.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 23, 2011, 01:52:20 am »

Picard: Warp 11, ensign. Engage.
Ensign: FFFFUUUUU...
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

K41N

• Bay Watcher
  • only posts when bored
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 23, 2011, 03:27:48 am »

The official paper for the experiments is up

http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1109/1109.4897.pdf

I think the final paragraph of their conclusion is also a good point to post

Can't open your link :-/ Do you have an alternative? :-)

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 23, 2011, 03:52:06 am »

http://arxiv.org/abs/1109.4897

Then use the PDF only link on the right.

K41N

• Bay Watcher
  • only posts when bored
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 23, 2011, 03:56:11 am »

I still get this Error:
Fatal Error
connect failed: Operation timed out. No response from server.

:-/

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 23, 2011, 04:17:19 am »

I still get this Error:
Fatal Error
connect failed: Operation timed out. No response from server.

:-/
It's just all the Trekkies trying to access the article crashed arXiv servers.

Probably never had this much traffic.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 04:23:40 am by Il Palazzo »

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 23, 2011, 04:17:35 am »

If you weren't azkaan, I'd think this was spam.
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 23, 2011, 04:32:47 am »

The sound barrier works like it does because as you speed up, you'll eventually force the air around you to move faster than the speed of sound, which causes the sonic boom. As such, the speed of sound is very dependent on the medium. If we were to stretch this analogy to the speed of light, the C-boom would not be because of the compression of the surrounding light (which would result in a flash) because light doesn't behave as a compressive ambient medium. Instead you'd compress space-time itself and the result would instead be something akin to a gravitational wave.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 39