Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 39

Author Topic: CERN has accidentally the everything.  (Read 63909 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: CERN has accidentally the everything.
« Reply #525 on: December 12, 2011, 04:53:03 pm »

It won't actually destroy what is thrown into it, just crush it. If it evaporates the singularity's matter will expand again. If it reaches criticality it will eat the Solar System. Such a dilemma.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: December 12, 2011, 04:55:12 pm »

Given the choice between someone else destroying the solar system, or doing it myself, I know which option to choose.

Besides, thats just so much more sexy than global warming or asteroid impact.
This is a blank sig.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: December 12, 2011, 04:56:34 pm »

Does the expansion provide any propulsive force?
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: December 12, 2011, 04:57:14 pm »

Heh. Quick sum in my head suggests yes. A lot.
This is a blank sig.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: December 12, 2011, 04:58:30 pm »

Could it be possible to use evaporating black holes to propel space vessels? Say, to carry that waste matter into some place we won't care about until it's too late to change it?
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: December 12, 2011, 04:58:39 pm »

Grab enough mass and it'd probably make a decent bomb when it evaporates.

How to stabilize these tiny black holes for long enough and give them enough strength to do that, though...
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: December 12, 2011, 07:18:58 pm »

A black hole with the right mass to evaporate in 3 seconds (to use as a hand grenade) will have the mass of 608 ton. Relevant to something like a Gauss gun time of 3 milliseconds would be only 10 times lighter.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #532 on: December 12, 2011, 07:55:48 pm »

I'd really love an induction cannon actually. Something which could rapidly transfer a large amount of energy onto a small point of a metal surface and cause that surface to radiate the energy as heat.

Would be a great anti-armor weapon. Not that useful against a person though.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #533 on: December 13, 2011, 12:11:27 pm »

We have a camera we can use for that FTL laser dot experiment.

Take a look at the video the guy links to.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: December 15, 2011, 09:54:13 am »

Sorry if this is thread necroing (it says a post was last made 2 days ago), I have been lurking the forums for a while, but this is the first post I have made, and I figured this thread would be a good place to ask this question. I dont get how time is actually directly linked to light speed. I understand how light is related to our observation of time (eyesight being our major source of interaction with our surroundings, possibly our quickest), but I dont see how that makes it directly linked to it. Heres my guess on how travelling faster than light would go: "Lets say you have a wristwatch on too. The very instant you go faster than light it will APPEAR that time has stopped (behind you at least, maybe its speeding up in front of you, until its behind you and then its frozen as well), it will also probably look like you left your body, looking down at your hands you wont be able to see them anymore or your legs. Lets say you move like that for an hour and then suddenly stop moving. Your body will immediately be visible again, and your wrist watch is an hour ahead of when you started." You might not even be able to see anything as your eyes would be bombarded with too much information.

Can someone tell me where I'm wrong? (I legitimately want to know, Im not being an ass)
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: December 15, 2011, 10:23:34 am »

Sorry if this is thread necroing (it says a post was last made 2 days ago), I have been lurking the forums for a while, but this is the first post I have made, and I figured this thread would be a good place to ask this question. I dont get how time is actually directly linked to light speed. I understand how light is related to our observation of time (eyesight being our major source of interaction with our surroundings, possibly our quickest), but I dont see how that makes it directly linked to it. Heres my guess on how travelling faster than light would go: "Lets say you have a wristwatch on too. The very instant you go faster than light it will APPEAR that time has stopped (behind you at least, maybe its speeding up in front of you, until its behind you and then its frozen as well), it will also probably look like you left your body, looking down at your hands you wont be able to see them anymore or your legs. Lets say you move like that for an hour and then suddenly stop moving. Your body will immediately be visible again, and your wrist watch is an hour ahead of when you started." You might not even be able to see anything as your eyes would be bombarded with too much information.

Can someone tell me where I'm wrong? (I legitimately want to know, Im not being an ass)
Technically the time stop occurs the very instant you reach the same speed as light. A fast moving objects time goes slower( don't know why). It not that time looks slower, it really is( This has something to do with special relativity, look that up on the wiki if you want to know more). They did an experiment with 2 atomic clocks( 1 on earth, 1   put into a rocket). When they checked after the experiment  the earth clock was some time ahead of the space clock.

Also, no going the speed of light if you have any mass at all, it would require infinitif energy.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: December 15, 2011, 10:25:33 am »

Well, see, it's like in a video game!

Many video games have a "maximum speed" they can handle - so if you have forward speed of, say, 5/ft per second, and the max is 100ft/second, and then you speed away to the side at 100ft/second, you can't move forward while you are doing it. It just can't process it, you see! So the faster you go, distance-wise, the slower you move through time.

That is the "speed of light", the hard cap where time is reduced to zero. Since you can't have negative time traversal, moving faster is impossible.

And these neutrinos are going at 101ft/second.

[/end unscientific and blatantly incorrect explanation]

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: December 15, 2011, 10:56:10 am »

How did we come to figure that the speed of light was the hard cap though? @ebbor seriously? and it wasn't a clock sync error or something similar?
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: December 15, 2011, 11:01:37 am »

How did we come to figure that the speed of light was the hard cap though? @ebbor seriously? and it wasn't a clock sync error or something similar?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hafele%E2%80%93Keating_experiment
They tested it twice. As for the speed of light, Einstein figured it out.(Don't ask me how  he did it).
It was with airplanes though, not rockets. Also, GPS sattelites are programmed to negate this error.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 11:03:14 am by 10ebbor10 »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: December 15, 2011, 11:03:14 am »

We actually figured out the cap separately, through math relating to our theories of an understanding of the universe, and it just so happens that light particles (not the wave as a whole), move at that speed simply because it's the fastest they can move - if the math allowed them to move faster, hypothetically they would.

Also, there a number of errors still possible at this point, though increasingly less likely.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 39