Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 39

Author Topic: CERN has accidentally the everything.  (Read 63898 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: CERN has accidentally the everything.
« Reply #510 on: December 12, 2011, 02:03:52 pm »

Hahaha, looks to be the exact same snow I had on my freewebs website back when I was like 14.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: December 12, 2011, 02:52:00 pm »

The fact that a universe exists instead of some kind of meta-stable quantum foam suggests that somewhere there was some kind of instability...

TBH I was kinda hoping for there to be no Higgs, and to get all exited about ripping up the standard model and coming up with something better, or one of its competitors. I really like Heim theory, but a 125/126 Gev Higgs would negate much of it. That and the methods used to establish it are a little shaky. Still, its probably this generations great moment in Physics, and as such I am contractually obliged to get all worked up and happy. Bet none of my students give a shit though. :)
This is a blank sig.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: December 12, 2011, 03:57:37 pm »

What does finding the Higgs boson mean for practical science?
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: December 12, 2011, 04:01:09 pm »

Not a whole lot. Yet.
This is a blank sig.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: December 12, 2011, 04:04:12 pm »

Okay. But will knowing it allow the practical science to start being done, or is it still firmly in the realm of the theoreticians?
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: December 12, 2011, 04:10:39 pm »

Its in the hands of the theoreticians for now. We would need some as of yet unimagined technology to start truly interacting with or manipulating these things in a practical sense - kind of how although the victorians had some idea about electrons, they couldnt comprehend microprocessors.
This is a blank sig.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: December 12, 2011, 04:12:38 pm »

Okay. Well, when you invent that technology, you come and tell me.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: December 12, 2011, 04:15:52 pm »

We won't even know what this particle really is or what function it serves until tomorrow; as that is when the results will be released.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: December 12, 2011, 04:17:54 pm »

Some kid of singularity inducing gun be ok with you?
This is a blank sig.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: December 12, 2011, 04:22:43 pm »

Some kid of singularity inducing gun be ok with you?

As I have no understanding whatsoever of the science in question...

Probably!

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: December 12, 2011, 04:24:27 pm »

"singularity inducing gun" = black hole cannon.

I want one.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: December 12, 2011, 04:27:09 pm »

Woo! My orders have doubled in moments. Now all I need to do is somehow find a way to make lots of Higgs bosons, target them, accelerate them, and in large quantities. The Higgs field should take care of the rest.
This is a blank sig.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: December 12, 2011, 04:28:12 pm »

Just remember kids: Under a certain size, you can create a black hole on Earth without destroying the entire planet because of Hawking radiation. And if you can find a way to artificially produce Hawking radiation, perhaps even larger than that....
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: December 12, 2011, 04:30:55 pm »

No more need to store radioactive waste or carbon dioxide! Just toss it in the black hole and be done with it!

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: December 12, 2011, 04:36:02 pm »

New! MonkeyHead industries is proud to present the AnnihilatorTM black hole induction system. Capable of disposing of any concievable waste, and fatal to a range of 100 meters. Every home should have one.

Warning: May lead to relatavistic time dilation. MonkeyHead industries is not responsible for any breaking of causality experienced through using a black hole to jump between realities via wormholes. Contains no user servicable parts.
This is a blank sig.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 39