Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 39

Author Topic: CERN has accidentally the everything.  (Read 63934 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: CERN has accidentally the everything.
« Reply #495 on: December 12, 2011, 12:07:23 am »

Wait, isn't probably particle physicist lingo for the chance is bigger than 99%? I seem to recall that possibly is 95%, probably is 99% and definitely is 99.9999% or something.

Almost surely is 99.999...%

which is exactly 100%

but don't tell the universe that

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: December 12, 2011, 12:28:34 am »

There are no absolute certainties in science. Just really, really, really, really close to certain. Everything science is based upon could be uncanny coincidence but the chances of that are impossibly slim. If you put it to a percentage, there'd be more 9s in it than cubic planck lengths in the universe. To the billionth power. A billion times. And a billion more.

99.999...%

which is exactly 100%

Oh the universe understands that, just some silly people out there are willfully ignorant for some reason. Kinda baffling how many people insist they're not equal despite tons of easy mathematical proofs.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: December 12, 2011, 12:32:48 am »

There are no absolute certainties in science. Just really, really, really, really close to certain. Everything science is based upon could be uncanny coincidence but the chances of that are impossibly slim. If you put it to a percentage, there'd be more 9s in it than cubic planck lengths in the universe. To the billionth power. A billion times. And a billion more.

Almost surely is 99.999...%

which is exactly 100%

Oh the universe understands that, just some silly people out there are willfully ignorant for some reason. Kinda baffling how many people insist they're not equal despite tons of easy mathematical proofs.

What I was saying with that post is pretty much exactly what you said above the quote >_>

Just less obvious and a bit more wrong

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: December 12, 2011, 12:36:32 am »

I like simple pattern recognition.

1/9 = .111...
2/9 = .222...
8/9 = .888...
9/9 = .999... = 1
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: December 12, 2011, 12:43:32 am »

Back to physics.

So... how bout that higgs boson, eh? Being all... massive and stuff?

thobal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: December 12, 2011, 10:21:13 am »

Being a native of the state, you'd think that I would have at least heard that we have a theoretical physics lab in the area. Huh.

Labs are rarely big news locally unless someone is building one or tearing one down. It's rarely discussed in my hometown, but there is some pretty impressive equipment under the golf course.
Signature goes here.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: December 12, 2011, 10:39:10 am »

Or unless one blows up. I don't even want to think of what will happen if our organic chemistry labs burns, whith all those bottles of toxic chemicals (Cyanide-toxic) neatly stacked between bottles of really inflammable solvent.

Also, apprently, that Higgs boson mass may mean our vacuum is in a metastable state (like superfrozen water) that could explose at any moment. And you tough atomic bombs were dangerous? I need to write a Sci-Fi novel about "vacuum bomb".
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 10:49:04 am by Sheb »

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #502 on: December 12, 2011, 11:34:35 am »

That's patently wrong. There are far more energetic reactions happening somewhere in the universe at all times. Why, just look at what Jupiter's magnetic field can do to ions, and it's just a pretty normal gas giant! If the vacuum was that unstable, it would have collapsed already. It's absurdly egocentric to think we might bring about such massive change by ourselves.

Remember when those medieval peasants tried to stop them from starting the LHD because "it would create a black hole and devour the planet." Or maybe it was "god's wrath would strike us for trying to meddle in his affairs" or "Xenu would return to wipe us out for good this time," I can't remember. Do you really want to sound like that band of mentally maladapted chimps?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: December 12, 2011, 11:41:46 am »

No, not to say the LHC could do anything. It could however, prove that vacuum is unstable. So a vacuum bomb WOULD be possible.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: December 12, 2011, 12:01:33 pm »

Or unless one blows up. I don't even want to think of what will happen if our organic chemistry labs burns, whith all those bottles of toxic chemicals (Cyanide-toxic) neatly stacked between bottles of really inflammable solvent.

Also, apprently, that Higgs boson mass may mean our vacuum is in a metastable state (like superfrozen water) that could explose at any moment. And you tough atomic bombs were dangerous? I need to write a Sci-Fi novel about "vacuum bomb".

http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=2138#comic
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: December 12, 2011, 12:08:18 pm »

Nah, seriously, it'd be cool. Imagine some government claim to have such a bomb. No one know if they're bluffing or not. But there is no escape, no test possible, since it would collapse the WHOLE UNIVERSE!

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: December 12, 2011, 12:23:54 pm »

Well probably not.

The CERN results that will be released tomorrow look to suggest a Higg's mass of ~125 GeV (the stronger ATLAS result has been reported at 126). That's borderline unstable, assuming basic, unmodified standard theory. However, even if it does suggest instability (not a given) you can get around that through super-symmetry.

This look isn't too technical.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: December 12, 2011, 12:29:39 pm »

Yeah, or you can accept the universe is usntable. :p Nah, I'll read that, even tough physics usually mmakes me feel stupid. I really need to get a physic degree someday.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: December 12, 2011, 12:55:04 pm »

This look isn't too technical.
Pretty decent-looking.  I may not remember all the details, if asked at a later date, but the first thing and only thing that confused me was the World Of Warcraft advert that I got at the bottom of the page... :)

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: December 12, 2011, 01:57:58 pm »

That page is snowing. What?
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 39