Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 39

Author Topic: CERN has accidentally the everything.  (Read 63962 times)

jasonwill2

• Bay Watcher
  • newbie coming into his own
    • View Profile
Re: CERN has accidentally the everything.
« Reply #360 on: November 19, 2011, 03:22:55 pm »

Thank you MonkeyHead, I guess we will see if the results are repeated again.

I suspect though that their could be other explanations. Say, are they sure they didn't accidentally do anything wild like entangle two particles? Though I suspect the instantaneous "moving" would of been detected if they did that because they wouldn't be able to measure a speed.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: November 19, 2011, 03:28:13 pm »

Some more detail on the new experiment. Of particular interest is the follow up based on a seminar they gave.
    The jitter: as you can see from the distribution I posted in the other article earlier today, showing the "delta t" for the 20 new neutrino interactions obtained from internal and external charged current interactions detected by Opera during the fast pulse runs of the CNGS beam, the jitter of 50 nanoseconds is causing the neutrino events to occur at random according to a uniform distribution, a "box" of width equal to 50 nanoseconds. What is causing this jitter had escaped me during the first careless and quick reading I gave to the paper last night. It is due to the fact that Opera cannot actually measure times with better than 50 nanosecond resolution: their "clock" runs at 20 megahertz, so they have a 50-ns "granularity" in the measurement.

That image is their actual data. You might notice that no bin has more than two counts in it. The original data set had far more measurements over a far larger time span. This was a shorter, tighter bunch with far fewer samples.

The jitter is quite worrying for me. Their synchronisation comes from a 20MHz clock, 50 nanosecond resolution. A single tick error is all you need to effectively erase the entire result. I'd expect this kind of thing to be a no-brainer and easily checked for, but all it takes is one variable in their various programs to use the wrong initialisation to get that sort of error.

Also, these new results did not eliminate all possible error sources. I'd expect confirmation to take another few years worth of full measurements, as well as independent measurements on different sites. I know there is a Fermilab collaboration working on this, which is one I'm certainly watching.

But putting that aside and assuming the result is real, there are a few points to consider for any new physics happening here.

The first point is that it's not just the 'speed limit' that suggests this couldn't happen.

There were a couple early responses that rather convincingly made the case that you would expect a form of Bremsstrahlung - radiation emitted by a moving particle. Usually you only see this due to accelerated charges, but they showed that a superluminal neutrino would also emit particle/anti-particle pairs. While this doesn't mean neutrinos can't travel faster than light it does put a limit on their energies when they do. Those energies are not compatible with these neutrinos making this particular flight at the (supposedly) detected speed.

One of the arguments I've found most convincing here is that the neutrinos are not travelling faster than light for the entire distance. Instead there is some initial super- or hyper-luminal jump in the initial creation/decay of the neutrons.

There is a discussion of this here which is fairly interesting, if a little hard to follow in places. And the guy who wrote that certainly has a horse in the race, claiming this strongly supports his model of emergent gravity.

In a sense this is even more interesting as it suggests the superluminal action is taking place in the decay phases, involving pions and kaons. It's also somewhat testable. If there is a comprehensive confirmation of the basic result using this of equipment then it's likely that Fermilab can sort of test if the change comes from the early phase. The detectors being used to measure the Fermilab neutrinos use two neutrino detectors in sequence, measuring the flight time between the two. The CERN measurements are from creation of the neutrinos to their final and single detection. Seeing FTL in CERN and not Fermi would suggest the difference is in the creation/decay process.

jasonwill2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: November 19, 2011, 03:33:40 pm »

One of the arguments I've found most convincing here is that the neutrinos are not travelling faster than light for the entire distance. Instead there is some initial super- or hyper-luminal jump in the initial creation/decay of the neutrons.

Sounds like a possible consideration, though I know little of neutrino creation and decay.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: November 19, 2011, 03:38:16 pm »

The detectors being used to measure the Fermilab neutrinos use two neutrino detectors in sequence, measuring the flight time between the two. The CERN measurements are from creation of the neutrinos to their final and single detection. Seeing FTL in CERN and not Fermi would suggest the difference is in the creation/decay process.

This for me is the absolute crux of the issue. There is simply too much going on and far too many mechanisms at play in the CERN test to give a meaningful conclusion. Comparing the work in the manner you suggest would at least show they arent moving FTL for a duration and there is some other superluminal event at play in the particle production/decay.
This is a blank sig.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: November 19, 2011, 09:31:01 pm »

To be fair, there have been measurements at Fermilab that gave a very similar value; the MINOS detector in Chicago actually detected superluminal neutrinos quite a while back. However, they didn't have sufficient certainty in their results to try and freak out the physics community  :P

Obligatory link to friend's science article

As you note, some things are easier to backtrack than to predict before they start, while other things are easier to predict than determine a starting situation that brought you to a resulting one.  Either way, your main problem is not having infinitely precise positional information, nor the time and processing power needed to deal with such an infinite amount of precision.  (And, of course, elements of understanding about the system being only understood to the current level of scientific knowledge.)

Yah, you hit the nail on the head. Relativity allows that, given perfect information, it's possible to predict behaviour backwards and forwards perfectly. However the problem is, in a real world, it's utterly impossible to know every single tiny little variable, let alone crunch all those numbers to use them. However, because relativity is a theoretical framework, you can at least do so as a thought experiment.

Quantum mechanics, because it's a matter of probabilities, however, would re-roll the dice (so to speak) each time you had an interaction, and so any given calculation would diverge from the previous barring a statistical fluke of astronomic proportions.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: November 19, 2011, 10:08:40 pm »

Let's assume for a minute the results are true: what would be the implications?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: November 19, 2011, 10:20:34 pm »

At the very least, a huge rewrite of current physics, on the same level as the discovery of quantum mechanics back in the early 20th century. If we can harness it, possibly a way to send messages backwards in time, but honestly, this is much too cutting edge science to be able talk applications yet. Give it 20 years, and then people will find uses.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: November 19, 2011, 10:22:47 pm »

If we can harness it, possibly a way to send messages backwards in time-
And what shall we do if we create a computer that can send messages through time, and we immediately receive panicked messages from 2100 telling us to destroy the time messager before its too late?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 10:45:19 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: November 19, 2011, 10:34:00 pm »

From 2010? Bah. :P

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: November 19, 2011, 10:46:25 pm »

Damn. Now you've got me wanting to live at least that long just so I can do that as a prank.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: November 20, 2011, 04:32:11 am »

Although seeing as we haven actually ever had any messages from the future, its probably safe to say that no time travelling messages have/will ever been/going to be sent.
This is a blank sig.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: November 20, 2011, 04:33:52 am »

Would we be able to detect them anyway?
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: November 20, 2011, 04:35:20 am »

Either there are no messages from the future possible, or we have to build ourselves a machine to receive them and at that instant we get all knowledge ever obtained by the human race thereafter.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

jasonwill2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: November 20, 2011, 04:39:32 am »

Either there are no messages from the future possible, or we have to build ourselves a machine to receive them and at that instant we get all knowledge ever obtained by the human race thereafter.

And then we create a time paradox and destroy all of reality.

That would be really dorfy though...

Technically though it has been said that if a message traveled faster than light it would travel back in time... or something. I read that in a book of mine titled "The God Effect". It was about quantum entanglement.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 04:41:19 am by jasonwill2 »
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 39