Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The more distinct, the more legendary  (Read 1848 times)

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The more distinct, the more legendary
« on: September 22, 2011, 03:12:54 pm »

Since well-served weapons and armor can now become semi-artifacts, I think this could be used as a reason for decorating them. Legendary swords are usually depicted as very ornate, but since DF makes weapons legendary only by use, the amount of decorations could be used to increase the chances of a weapon becoming a legend.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
Re: The more distinct, the more legendary
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 02:29:09 pm »

...decorations or value,support
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 03:03:25 pm »

I certainly would think a Golden Sword with several thousand jewels embroidering it would appear in SOME legend.

Assuming it was adopted somewhere.

Edit: Properly read the suggestion

While I am for rediculously expencive items (from decoration) becoming semi-artifacts. There is a reason why ordinary combat items arn't decorated.

Decorations add needless weight to what would otherwise be perfectly balanced objects. So you wouldn't want to do it as part of it.

As well "Artifacts" are, when made by a dwarf, an example of perfect craftsmenship... an ordinary weapon can't become an artifact that way.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 12:05:04 pm by Neonivek »

Forumite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 05:46:21 pm »

Makes me want to make an ordered artifact, a masterwork steel sword decorated with goblin bone and 200+ gems. Then I give it to my Militia Captain, and send him to anoint the Sword of my Fortress in the blood of mine eneimes.
"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham

Roraborialisforealis

• Bay Watcher
  • [HATEBILLION:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 05:55:00 pm »

I would love to see users decorate their weapons as they racked up major kills. Give soldiers a special skill relating to decorating their weapons, Starting with engraving the names of their major kills and growing as time moves on to become much more spectacular.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

SuicideJunkie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 08:49:59 am »

Just don't give a whip to a dwarf with low creativity:

"This is a masterwork whip.  It bears a shallow notch.  The notch relates to the killing of Snatchy McKobold in 352"
...later...
"This is a masterwork whip.  It bears three notches.  The notches relate to the killing of Goblins and Kobolds in the Fort of Blood."
...later...
"This is a masterwork whip.  Its lash is gone.  The notches relate to the slaughter of Goblins in the siege of 356"

Forumite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2011, 05:02:12 pm »

This is a masterwork steel battle axe. It bears rust stains. The stains relates to the killing of 57 goblins.
"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham

Roraborialisforealis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2011, 06:57:22 pm »

This is a cleat. It spikes have fallen off. Spikes made of pig tail cloth have been embedded in the silver. These spikes relate to the disbanding of the seahawks.

Naresomez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 09:28:23 pm »

I certainly would think a Golden Sword with several thousand jewels embroidering it would appear in SOME legend.

Assuming it was adopted somewhere.

Well, the only way to get a gold sword would be as an artifact, so it most definitely would be a legend :P

I think the "growing attatched"/semi-legendary status should be connected to time used, kills, value, and weather or not the dwarf using it likes the materials it's made of or decorated with.
"This copper warhammer may not be the prettiest, most deadliest, OR the most expensive. But Armok be praised if that ain't just the most perfect chunk o' ivory y'all ever did see."
Recaptcha Pictionary!
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51755.0

"And on the 5th frame, He bowleth a strike, and there was much rejoicing to be had."

Roraborialisforealis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2011, 11:35:01 pm »

Perhaps making the gems being embedded in the weapons would make them harder+better.

Naresomez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2011, 11:35:50 pm »

Perhaps making the gems being embedded in the weapons would make them harder+better.
(faster, stronger)
Recaptcha Pictionary!
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51755.0

"And on the 5th frame, He bowleth a strike, and there was much rejoicing to be had."

Roraborialisforealis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2011, 11:39:19 pm »

(faster, stronger)
Perhaps....

Forumite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2011, 12:38:06 pm »

Fine Bronze Whip, 40+ goblin kills, listed among my artifacts =)

Forumite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2011, 12:45:34 pm »

(faster, stronger)
Work it, make it, do it...

Does encrusting gems and studding with spikes make an item Heavier? Thatīs the important thing here, because a heavier war hammer is more dangerous. The dfwiki says encrusting doesnīt change combat statistics, so those steel spikes doesnīt add damage to your weapon, but I havenīt found a definite answer to weight.

Having 40+ bins of cut gems left over from making large gems for the Duke, there should be enough to turn a steel warhammer into slade weight.

Roraborialisforealis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2011, 02:52:59 pm »

(faster, stronger)
Work it, make it, do it...

Does encrusting gems and studding with spikes make an item Heavier? Thatīs the important thing here, because a heavier war hammer is more dangerous. The dfwiki says encrusting doesnīt change combat statistics, so those steel spikes doesnīt add damage to your weapon, but I havenīt found a definite answer to weight.

Having 40+ bins of cut gems left over from making large gems for the Duke, there should be enough to turn a steel warhammer into slade weight.
I feel that they should not effect weight much, as that would not make too much sense in the case of most gems, but it could give a very slight boost I guess. I feel it should make an item harder (in the case of hammers, this would improve its usefulness against armor, as steel hammers outperform silver when dealing with almost any armor) and improve its max edge (Except candy, which would really just get heavier.) Making the weapon more useful against armored targets instead of making the weapon overpowered. Naturally Gem and bone spikes on your hammer would add very slight amount of piercing damage on a successful blow too....